Night Riding Thread - It's dark, lets ride!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Night Riding Thread - It's dark, lets ride!
O+
Posted: Nov 19, 2010 at 13:51 Quote
starcbiker wrote:
if i'm using a magicshine in the U.S am i affected by the recall?
Might be worth dropping the US supplier an email to ask (if its got a serial no, it's worth quoting that). From what i've heard Geomangear is the US supplier Salute

Mod
Posted: Nov 20, 2010 at 17:39 Quote
starcbiker wrote:

I think that they could catch on fire regardless of the country you may be in at the time Smile

Posted: Nov 20, 2010 at 20:36 Quote
mikelevy wrote:
starcbiker wrote:

I think that they could catch on fire regardless of the country you may be in at the time Smile
hey now, was just wondering if maybe a bad batch went to a distributor in a certain country or something

O+
Posted: Nov 24, 2010 at 9:54 Quote
I have ordered an MJ 808 magicshine Smile i plan on getting the "mickey mouse" MJ 816 shortly as well Smile

Am in discussion with the manufacturers to become a UK dealer of Magicshine at the moment Smile Happy days for us night riders Smile

Posted: Nov 26, 2010 at 17:32 Quote
wat if u run into a tree dood

O+
Posted: Nov 27, 2010 at 0:05 Quote
pjelinek wrote:
wat if u run into a tree dood
? That shits gonna' hurt night or day dude lol

O+
Posted: Dec 8, 2010 at 10:35 Quote
Happy days Smile the magicshines are nothing but brilliant, and they have been redesigned with heat protection, a sealed battery unit, and a few other changes (eg. the battery charge status now shows green -> blue -> yellow -> red showing between 100%, 75%, 50% and 25% respectively)

see under my display pic Smile

Posted: Dec 9, 2010 at 6:08 Quote
I Did a lots of research and wanted to get the best bang for the buck without compromisin in quiality and versatility and this is what I came up with: Niterider Minewt 700 Dual (basicaly two Minewt's 350 that share a larger batery and have a spliter cable) this allowes me to used one or two and/or split them by ussign one on the bars and the onther light on my helmet. After several runs I decided that bar mounted lights are a waist since most of the times the bars are not pointing where your eyes are...so I mounted both lights on my helmet (open face) and I can direct them and point them in ways, getting different set ups. Here is a pick (the only thins that I had to get extra was the extension 36" cord and I use the battery on my waist.
Feel free to comment.

photo

Posted: Dec 9, 2010 at 12:18 Quote
jcandreu wrote:
I Did a lots of research and wanted to get the best bang for the buck without compromisin in quiality and versatility and this is what I came up with: Niterider Minewt 700 Dual (basicaly two Minewt's 350 that share a larger batery and have a spliter cable) this allowes me to used one or two and/or split them by ussign one on the bars and the onther light on my helmet. After several runs I decided that bar mounted lights are a waist since most of the times the bars are not pointing where your eyes are...so I mounted both lights on my helmet (open face) and I can direct them and point them in ways, getting different set ups. Here is a pick (the only thins that I had to get extra was the extension 36" cord and I use the battery on my waist.
Feel free to comment.

photo

Nice! I may have to look a little closer at that option.

O+
Posted: Dec 9, 2010 at 12:27 Quote
Bowbender wrote:
jcandreu wrote:
Feel free to comment.

photo

Just came back from an outing with my Magicshine MJ-816 on my bars. Lets just say full beam is blinding lol
Could see everything. No more "oh shit what's that... better slow down lol"

Posted: Mar 12, 2011 at 7:18 Quote
I usually go solo but a meniscus tear/shred (ahem) has definitely reduced the rides. I ride with Minewt Dual on the bars and a MOAB on my helmet. The battery for the bar lights goes on the frame and the MOAB battery in my jersey or Camelbak. I've been thinking of stepping up to a higher output LED for the helmet but between the 2 lights (three actually) it lights up the trail like a train. I have no skills when night riding it seems however. Sometimes I don't even recognize trails I've been on zillions of times before. It takes getting used to that's for sure.

A.

Posted: Mar 12, 2011 at 9:41 Quote
rolto1822 wrote:
Bowbender wrote:
jcandreu wrote:
Feel free to comment.

photo

Just came back from an outing with my Magicshine MJ-816 on my bars. Lets just say full beam is blinding lol

As in a full 500 lumens of sheer night cutting brightness... now if only it had close to the claimed lumens then the high would actually blinding.....
Sorry bang for the buck its a good light that has quality issues.... but for the price its hard to grab a light with the output of them be it alot less than claimed.....

O+
Posted: Mar 12, 2011 at 16:45 Quote
bullcrew wrote:
rolto1822 wrote:
Bowbender wrote:

As in a full 500 lumens of sheer night cutting brightness... now if only it had close to the claimed lumens then the high would actually blinding.....
Sorry bang for the buck its a good light that has quality issues.... but for the price its hard to grab a light with the output of them be it alot less than claimed.....
They aren't as high as claimed but 500 would be straight wrong. the MJ-808 was independantly measured at about the 600/700 lumen mark. its virtually the same light as the Lupine Tesla 4; same led, same beam pattern, pretty much the same design but for a few improvements. Retail on the tesla 4 is nearly £300.
I have had far less problems dealing with magicshine lights than i have at work [bike shop] with products from several very well known, and respected companies, however i dont plan to name and shame them. Quality issues are certainly something they don't have. If i didnt believe in their products there's no chance i would deal with them

Posted: Mar 12, 2011 at 19:23 Quote
bigquotesQuality issues are certainly something they don't have. If i didnt believe in their products there's no chance i would deal with them

Are you sure about that? They had major battery/charger issues I thought?? I'm not losing any respect for GM as I have been a supporter and their service is phenomenal. I do question the idea that MS has never had issues....

ahem...

where there's smoke there's fire...

Thanks,
A.

O+
Posted: Mar 13, 2011 at 1:24 Quote
neex wrote:
bigquotesQuality issues are certainly something they don't have. If i didnt believe in their products there's no chance i would deal with them

Are you sure about that? They had major battery/charger issues I thought?? I'm not losing any respect for GM as I have been a supporter and their service is phenomenal. I do question the idea that MS has never had issues....

ahem...

where there's smoke there's fire...

Thanks,
A.
As stated in the second article the Problem lies primarily with the old style battery packs which are shrink wrapped and supplied in a basic nylon sleeve. Magicshine stopped selling lights with those batteries a while ago (well before I started dealing with them). All the lights that I am selling now include the latest batteries which are encased in an aluminium and plastic casing, and were not affected by the geomangear recall.

I am not claiming to any extent that MS have never had issues, but having spoken with magishine, I deem the new magicshine batteries, which have been certified by independant CE and UL labs (I have seen the certificates for these certifications), as safe as li-on batteries can be. Indeed there should be care taken not to overcharge them etc. as with ANY li-on battery.
I have not stopped using my lights, and have had no problems whatsoever with any that I've sold. I'm confident in the new batteries and remain to be impressed by the power and performance of the lights

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.018234
Mobile Version of Website