Specialized Big Hit 2009 Builds

PB Forum :: Downhill
Specialized Big Hit 2009 Builds
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 7, 2009 at 9:07 Quote
Yo Dudes,
Just recently got my new bike and it is totally rad!
Super Stoked on it, but its not perfect for downhill...

Looking to build my bike to my needs, and just want to see how you guys have done yours.
Post pictures or ideas, and ill post mine up in a bit Smile

Cheers
Stan

Posted: Dec 7, 2009 at 20:13 Quote
walshe-boi wrote:
Yo Dudes,

Looking to build my bike to my needs, and just want to see how you guys have done yours.

Cheers
Stan

What you should do probably depends on which Big Hit it is. But if you're looking to race a lot, a Boxxer Race fork or something similar might be in order. The Domain fork is good--I have one on my bike--but I hear the Boxxer is a good upgrade for racers.

Posted: Dec 8, 2009 at 11:25 Quote
walshe-boi wrote:
Yo Dudes,

Cheers
Stan

Posted: Dec 8, 2009 at 11:27 Quote
My advise is to sell it and get something better such as an apollo or raliegh. They are built to true perfection and can pretty much hit anything you face. It makes sence!

Posted: Dec 8, 2009 at 11:57 Quote
Hey man, nice Big Hit you have.

For UK DH this bike will be more than capable of handling the rough stuff, infact I remember Dirt magazine did a review of the 09 Big Hit and rated it highly even from a racers point of view, this was around 4 issues ago..

If you are finding it a little uninspiring for DH riding maybe you should check you have the right shock spring for your weight and that your Domains are set up right for your weight. If I were to spend any money at all it would be on getting the correct springs for your weight.

Your bike has 180mm travel front & back, more than enough man, it's a shame that they changed it from 208mm to 180mm but I guess the new design only needs 180mm eh. Unfortunitely this means that sticking a Boxxer or other dual crown fork could create complications, such as warranty. You need to double check with Specialized if they will honour the warranty on the frame with using a dual crown fork.

The current trend for DH bikes is to be super light and plush. If your bike is 38lbs,
then that's great as most "light" DH bikes are 38lbs. If you want it to ride lighter (as in just make the bike feel more active), replace the inner tubes with Continental Super Sonic tubes. They only weigh 100g and are really reliable under a 2ply tyre. This will remove a chunk of rotational weight and make the bike feel a bit more active. Another tip is to put a cable tie on the shock shaft and fork leg to measure how much travel you are using on your local DH trail. Basically you want the bike to use all of the available travel in a run.

Hope this helps.

Posted: Dec 8, 2009 at 12:09 Quote
Cheers Will,
well I am getting a new wheelset, and will definatley think carefully about trye and inner tube choices! I'm getting new springs for christmas and it should make it feel alot nicer at the front. Checked with specialized and it doesnt void the warranty

Anyone else got any builds for their BigHits?

Posted: Dec 8, 2009 at 12:10 Quote
BrUiSeR2bOi wrote:
My advise is to sell it and get something better such as an apollo or raliegh. They are built to true perfection and can pretty much hit anything you face. It makes sence!

Totally agree Sam,
I dont know why I didn't think of that before!

Posted: Dec 8, 2009 at 12:14 Quote
walshe-boi wrote:
Cheers Will,
well I am getting a new wheelset, and will definatley think carefully about trye and inner tube choices! I'm getting new springs for christmas and it should make it feel alot nicer at the front. Checked with specialized and it doesnt void the warranty

Anyone else got any builds for their BigHits?

Your welcome man, as for build ideas check out my Big Hit..

Key weight savings on my build are Bontrager King Earl cranks, Easton Havoc wheels, Hope Stem, and Super Sonic tubes..Pimp

Posted: Dec 8, 2009 at 12:21 Quote
-Saint Cranks
-Saint Mech
-Saint Breaks
-SDG I-fly (inc cut down post)
-Funn Stem
-Super Sonic Tubes
-New Chain Guide, my one wieghs a tonne!

And pictures Anyone?

Posted: Dec 8, 2009 at 12:32 Quote
walshe-boi wrote:
-Saint Cranks
-Saint Mech
-Saint Breaks
-SDG I-fly (inc cut down post)
-Funn Stem
-Super Sonic Tubes
-New Chain Guide, my one wieghs a tonne!

And pictures Anyone?

If you are wanting a Saint mech you might have to have the Saint rear Hub as I think it's mounted on the axle.

Posted: Dec 8, 2009 at 13:00 Quote
willshiels wrote:
Your bike has 180mm travel front & back, more than enough man, it's a shame that they changed it from 208mm to 180mm but I guess the new design only needs 180mm eh.

I think it's a tad more on the II and IIIs--190mm in the back (7.5 inches). So I would think a Boxxer would match up well if you chose it.

Still, good call on the warranty issue. I wish Specialized would spec the Big Hit III with a Boxxer--that would be an even more solid bike for the money. But I guess it would put it too close to Demo territory.

Posted: Dec 8, 2009 at 13:25 Quote
Mm, I think you can get the mech without the saint hub..,
a few friends have them and are running seperate hubs

I agree would match up sweet! Smile

Posted: Dec 8, 2009 at 13:44 Quote
Class, I just remembered when they first released Saint and you needed the hub eh.. It's good if you can run the mechs on thier own now.

beaupre716 - Yeah man, the big "S" have certainly made a good effort tying to push fans of the Big Hit towards the demo, I love my Big Hit and love it's 8" rear end so I guess if I want 8" i'll have to go for the demo, or a Mondraker Kaiser!

Posted: Dec 8, 2009 at 14:23 Quote
willshiels wrote:
Class, I just remembered when they first released Saint and you needed the hub eh.. It's good if you can run the mechs on thier own now.

beaupre716 - Yeah man, the big "S" have certainly made a good effort tying to push fans of the Big Hit towards the demo, I love my Big Hit and love it's 8" rear end so I guess if I want 8" i'll have to go for the demo, or a Mondraker Kaiser!

I agree--seems like the Big Hit only gets proper attention from its fans, me being one of them. I've got an older Big Hit with the 8" link upgrade, one from the era before the Demo.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.mx775.com/bighit_1.jpg

Posted: Dec 8, 2009 at 14:28 Quote
upgrading to a couble crown will make your bighit feel much better than single crown. i have the '08 one with 7.5" travel, and putting a 40 on it made it feel sooo much better. not the just the performance of the fork, but the stiffness

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008956
Mobile Version of Website