Does a full chromoly frame rust?(corrode)? please help me out/ Thanks!

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Does a full chromoly frame rust?(corrode)? please help me out/ Thanks!
Previous Page |
Posted: Dec 23, 2009 at 19:17 Quote
hey guys how's doing?

So, i was wondering with the frame or anyother part of the bike made of full chromoly rust?(corrode). cuz my frame is full chromoly and i just noticed that there are some "lines" of rust.

PLEASE, if enyone knows something about it, just comment.

THANKS A LOT. Have a good ride.

Posted: Dec 23, 2009 at 19:22 Quote
Yup, chromoly rusts

Chromoly is a steel alloy, and steel rusts

Posted: Dec 23, 2009 at 19:27 Quote
Oh okay. Thanks man. so, since it is rusting, what should i do?

Posted: Dec 23, 2009 at 19:35 Quote
If the rust isnt that bad, you can scrub it off with steel wool, itll take some time though.

After the rust is gone you might want to repaint your frame. This tutorial will help

Posted: Dec 23, 2009 at 19:39 Quote
chromoly will rust, but it should only surface rust! if it start to rust bad it's either not chromoly, or really cheap, shitty, chromoly

Posted: Dec 23, 2009 at 19:42 Quote
i ride a chr-mo frame...depends on the grade of chromo u get... 4130 is very rust resistant but it does rust but usually once the surface is covered in rust it stops... kinda like a scab...

Posted: Dec 23, 2009 at 19:50 Quote
Philip-S wrote:
If the rust isnt that bad, you can scrub it off with steel wool, itll take some time though.

After the rust is gone you might want to repaint your frame. This tutorial will help

Nice man. i am reading this website. Thanks a lot for your help

Posted: Dec 23, 2009 at 19:52 Quote
cruelty-and-the-beast wrote:
i ride a chr-mo frame...depends on the grade of chromo u get... 4130 is very rust resistant but it does rust but usually once the surface is covered in rust it stops... kinda like a scab...

i see. my frame is a mirraco one. and it says: 4130- DT/TT/CS

so should i worry about it at all? or just leave the way it is?

Thanks

Posted: Dec 23, 2009 at 19:53 Quote
Infiltrator wrote:
chromoly will rust, but it should only surface rust! if it start to rust bad it's either not chromoly, or really cheap, shitty, chromoly

have you ever seem that? if so, what did the guy do?

Thanks

Posted: Dec 23, 2009 at 19:55 Quote
it'll be a problem in, oh lets say... 10 years...so dont sweat it

Posted: Dec 23, 2009 at 19:57 Quote

Still, rust isnt very nice to look at.

Posted: Dec 23, 2009 at 20:00 Quote
Philip-S wrote:

Still, rust isnt very nice to look at.

yeah. thanks guys. i'll think about it. i just didnt want to loose my frame and fork in a few years

Posted: Dec 24, 2009 at 10:06 Quote
FabioYT wrote:

i see. my frame is a mirraco one. and it says: 4130- DT/TT/CS

so should i worry about it at all? or just leave the way it is?

Thanks
4130 DT/TT/CS means that your frame has a 4130 chromoly down tube, top tube and chainstays. The rest of your frame (head tube, seat tube, seat stays) is hi-tensile steel. Hi-ten also rusts.

From the sounds of it, it seems like there isn't a whole lot of rust on your frame so don't worry about it. The best advice I can give you is to just prevent more rust from developing in the future. Keep your bike out of the rain, if you wash your bike thoroughly dry it off, etc.

Posted: Dec 24, 2009 at 10:31 Quote
got it. alright. i'll keep it out of rain and water. and hopefully it i will not rust anymore.
Thanks guys

Posted: Dec 24, 2009 at 10:42 Quote
wow this really helped me, as i am building a ns traffic and it is cro-mo. i was worried about rust as i had a stp with was alu but now i know if it does rust it fine Big Grin

Previous Page |

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2014. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv15 0.014496
Mobile Version of Website