Sexiest Old-School DH Bike Out There
Posted: Oct 3, 2014 at 0:03 Quote
Take the paint off and clear coat it?

Posted: Oct 3, 2014 at 0:57 Quote
Skootur wrote:
jon211v wrote:
chaserider wrote:

Very awesome.

I wanted a Stab Primo for several years, but never got one.
With that said I ended up getting some decent rides during the years.
Still, you can't go wrong with a nice old Kona.

Honestly I love this bike, I've ridden it loads since I got it. Took it out on Monday and my gears started skipping after a few hard landings.
Found a large crack in the swingarm down by the wheelbase adjusters Frown

Thought I'd have trouble finding a replacement and was considering getting it welded when I found a place that had 4 in stock at a good price. Bought and fitted already, only one problem.... it's bright red.

It looks kinda odd. Tempted to spray the whole rear triangle black. Or I might just ride that shit and not worry about the colour.

Just ride it! It has red hubs anyway... The shivers look fine bare IMO. (And I bet that like mine, they ride so good that you wouldn't trade them for a new fork!)

Oh yeah the shivers are immense, they're not my first set and I definitely can't see me getting rid of them anytime soon.
I may buy a more modern DH bike when I've got some finance stuff straight but this one's staying as it is (it may get a zee gear setup over winter though)

Strippng the paint is an option but I think if I do anything I'll Spray/powdercoat it black.

Posted: Oct 3, 2014 at 6:35 Quote
jon211v wrote:
Skootur wrote:
jon211v wrote:

Honestly I love this bike, I've ridden it loads since I got it. Took it out on Monday and my gears started skipping after a few hard landings.
Found a large crack in the swingarm down by the wheelbase adjusters Frown

Thought I'd have trouble finding a replacement and was considering getting it welded when I found a place that had 4 in stock at a good price. Bought and fitted already, only one problem.... it's bright red.

It looks kinda odd. Tempted to spray the whole rear triangle black. Or I might just ride that shit and not worry about the colour.

Just ride it! It has red hubs anyway... The shivers look fine bare IMO. (And I bet that like mine, they ride so good that you wouldn't trade them for a new fork!)

Oh yeah the shivers are immense, they're not my first set and I definitely can't see me getting rid of them anytime soon.
I may buy a more modern DH bike when I've got some finance stuff straight but this one's staying as it is (it may get a zee gear setup over winter though)

Strippng the paint is an option but I think if I do anything I'll Spray/powdercoat it black.

Ride it Red Kona had some pretty notorious multi colored things so no one will know any better!

Posted: Oct 3, 2014 at 10:16 Quote
This one: Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://vintagebikes.de/galerie/spe1.jpg

Posted: Oct 3, 2014 at 10:19 Quote
I loved them old Specialized's

O+
Posted: Oct 3, 2014 at 11:33 Quote
I always wanted one of those, a buddy bought it before I could and never rode it.

Posted: Oct 3, 2014 at 11:58 Quote
Some buddy Rolleyes
Keep your eyes peeled for one in the buysell section?

Posted: Oct 7, 2014 at 3:05 Quote
jon211v wrote:
Sorry about the blurry pic but I just acquired this after wanting one since 2001.
It had no frame decals so I got some on Friday and gave him a good polish. I can't find any fork leg decals for the Shivers though Frown
This is a work in progress, I already changed the bars, seat and I bought a period MRP too which should be here any day.

photo

http://www.ebay.it/itm/Marzocchi-Shiver-D-C-OR-S-C-mountain-bike-fork-stickers-decals-SILVER-BLUE-TEXT-/271577311391?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item3f3b44e89f

Posted: Oct 12, 2014 at 7:32 Quote
its sweet working in a metal shop with powder coat area any color I want even glow in the dark

Posted: Dec 21, 2014 at 18:49 Quote
the ultimate old school monster dh bike .... My 1998 Rotec Pro Dh restoration ... And yes, the only pre 2005 dh frame with modern geometry... 63 headangle... Almost 1.300mm wheelbase

More pics here http://www.vitalmtb.com/community/tetopluz,30944/setup,25759

photo

photo

Posted: Dec 21, 2014 at 20:14 Quote
All you need is a White Brothers DH3, the red one... and it would be mint.

Posted: Dec 22, 2014 at 7:39 Quote
BrodieBiking wrote:

yes, but the travel of the dh3 is only 185mm, so that screws the headangle (in comparison to the 200mm boxxer)

Posted: Dec 22, 2014 at 7:42 Quote
tetopluz wrote:
BrodieBiking wrote:

yes, but the travel of the dh3 is only 185mm, so that screws the headangle (in comparison to the 200mm boxxer)
Get an angle set, will be more "retro" woth that fork.
Nevertheless it is a awesome bike, congrats for it!

Posted: Dec 22, 2014 at 8:00 Quote
its-chris wrote:
tetopluz wrote:
BrodieBiking wrote:

Get an angle set, will be more "retro" woth that fork.
Nevertheless it is a awesome bike, congrats for it!

thanks,

but I can't fit an angleset, the frame has a 1,1/8 headtube diameter.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017021
Mobile Version of Website