How do I use a crank puller?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
How do I use a crank puller?
Previous Page |
Posted: Dec 29, 2009 at 20:13 Quote
Hey guys, so i just got an Avenir crank puller, and im not sure if im using it right. i looked at the instructions on the park tool website, but the one they have looks a bit different and im not really sure how to use mine. ive tried threading the black part in first, and then the silver one, but that doesnt seem to work, even though i feel resistance after threading the silver one in. it didnt come with an instruction manual, so im lost. Anyone know how? This is what it looks like:

Posted: Dec 29, 2009 at 21:04 Quote
What crankset and BB standard is it? If you've got an ISIS M12-bolted crankset, then the puller you've got won't do anything, as it'll just thread into the hollow BB axle. If this is the case, then you've got to either get a different puller (needs a wider bit at the end), or an adaptor (most race face cranks come with such an adaptor).

But the method you mentioned is the correct way to do it, but I'm guessing that you've got a BB that the puller wasn't designed to work with.

Posted: Dec 29, 2009 at 21:28 Quote
If the black part is threading in, chances are you have the right set up. That black part basically attaches to the crank arm, then when you thread the silver piece in, it pulls the crank arm away from the bb. Just keep cranking on the silver and watch for the crank arm to pull away. If the cranks are old, then it may take a little effort to do it.

EDIT (unless you have the aforementioned bb, then it will be hollow and the silver part will have nothing to push against)

Good luck!

Posted: Dec 29, 2009 at 21:33 Quote
CheesyBurrito wrote:
What crankset and BB standard is it? If you've got an ISIS M12-bolted crankset, then the puller you've got won't do anything, as it'll just thread into the hollow BB axle. If this is the case, then you've got to either get a different puller (needs a wider bit at the end), or an adaptor (most race face cranks come with such an adaptor).

But the method you mentioned is the correct way to do it, but I'm guessing that you've got a BB that the puller wasn't designed to work with.

By looking at a pic of your bike's i'm going to agree with this guy you need a different puller or an addapter like this one.

If you can't find one of those kiking around anywhere i use to use a stack of dimes. They're just the right size to stop the "silver" part from going inside the axle. Just stack up 3 or 4 of them then thread the "black" part in the the "silver"

Posted: Dec 29, 2009 at 21:35 Quote
Please, oh please don't listen to the guy above (EDIT: two posts above) if your crankset is not a square-taper. You will damage an ISIS BB with that tool if you "just keep cranking" the puller in. If you're using it on either of the bikes in your profile (under your "My Bikes" folder), then you've gotten the wrong tool!. You need an ISIS puller, not a square taper puller.

Posted: Dec 29, 2009 at 21:36 Quote
by the guy above i hope you mean whyted... Rolleyes

Posted: Dec 29, 2009 at 21:36 Quote
Yes I do! Sorry about that, you posted while I was making my post! Fixed mine now.

Posted: Dec 29, 2009 at 21:43 Quote
Yep, I'm with these guys, if you have an Isis don't listen to me!

Posted: Dec 29, 2009 at 21:46 Quote
since you've got the wrong tool you should sell me that one! Big Grin
hah i need one

Posted: Dec 29, 2009 at 21:49 Quote
So it's all sorted then. We've come to a gruop decision, you need a different puller for it to work out for you.

Or you can make your own also. After i got tiered of searching for dimes to use all the time i finally just ground down a chunk of mettal to fit over the internal treads on the bb axle.

Posted: Dec 29, 2009 at 21:53 Quote
i got the wrong size pin i almost f*cked up the threads in my bb just stick a bmx sprocket holder bolt in there so its not hollow and everything should work (what i did)

Posted: Dec 29, 2009 at 21:53 Quote
fireninja wrote:
i finally just ground down a chunk of mettal to fit over the internal treads on the bb axle.

Truth be told, I've used a cut alan key butted up against the opposite crank-bolt before in a pinch. Worked well, but was always afraid of breaking the opposite bolt.

Posted: Dec 29, 2009 at 22:02 Quote
that makes more sense now, thanks for all your replies guys. ill use the dime method, since the end of the silver thing has a plastic protective thing on it to prevent from screwing up the end of the bolt.

Posted: Dec 29, 2009 at 22:08 Quote
Just remember you need to use like 3 or 4 of them or you'll just turn them into little bowls. That and i don't know how tough amarican dimes are, since i was useing canadian currency.

If you encounter alot of resistance but don't see the crank arm moveing at all stop and try something else.

Posted: Dec 29, 2009 at 22:09 Quote
fireninja wrote:
Just remember you need to use like 3 or 4 of them or you'll just turn them into little bowls. That and i don't know how tough amarican dimes are, since i was useing canadian currency.

If you encounter alot of resistance but don't see the crank arm moveing at all stop and try something else.

yea i think dimes will be strong enough. if not ill just use nickles, theyre twice as thick

Previous Page |

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2014. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv15 0.015324
Mobile Version of Website