Best enegy food for before a ride

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Best enegy food for before a ride
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 21, 2010 at 12:37 Quote
what food gives you the most enegy and lasts the longest before you get hungry again

Posted: Feb 22, 2010 at 14:24 Quote
Porridge made with milk

Posted: Feb 23, 2010 at 9:12 Quote
baz666 wrote:
Porridge made with milk
iv heard about porridge but does it really work

Posted: Feb 23, 2010 at 9:22 Quote
K-Forbes wrote:
baz666 wrote:
Porridge made with milk
iv heard about porridge but does it really work

Good enough for Paula Radcliffe:

"Slow release carbohydrates are found in those foods which slowly raise blood sugar levels once eaten. Quick release carbohydrates are the opposite. Foods such as canned baked beans that are made with high sugar content, white bread, water melon and well-cooked pasta are all quick release foods. These can cause spikes in blood sugar levels which are then followed by slumps. These slumps lead to shakiness, hunger, tiredness and other undesirable symptoms. Slow release foods are valued for their ability to deliver sustained energy over a longer period of time. Porridge oats are one such foodstuff. This explains why marathon champion Paula Radcliffe is so keen on making porridge for breakfast on race days. A chart of different foods which rates the relative speed at which they release sugar into the bloodstream has been devised. It is known as the Glycaemic Index and versions are widely available on the Internet. "

http://www.blurtit.com/q754051.html

Posted: Feb 23, 2010 at 9:29 Quote
not being picky but you have spelt energy wrong! and I heard raw eggs with milk is good energy

Posted: Feb 23, 2010 at 9:30 Quote
bongo136 wrote:
not being picky but you have spelt energy wrong! and I heard raw eggs with milk is good energy

thats protein that and yes i just noticed ahwell

Posted: Mar 11, 2010 at 12:40 Quote
complex carbs before! and snack on some during!
proteins better after the ride.

Posted: Mar 12, 2010 at 10:54 Quote
Nshore3 wrote:
complex carbs before! and snack on some during!
proteins better after the ride.
well what is the best thing to eat then

Posted: Mar 12, 2010 at 17:41 Quote
It actually depends on how soon before your ride you are asking about.

If you want quick energy, you want simple carbs. Mostly sugars that are quickly and easily absorbed.

If you want long-lasting energy, you want complex carbs that take longer to digest. like the grains in porridge, as mentionned earlier.

Posted: Mar 12, 2010 at 17:48 Quote
crankinstein wrote:

If you want quick energy, you want simple carbs. Mostly sugars that are quickly and easily absorbed.

If you want long-lasting energy, you want complex carbs that take longer to digest. like the grains in porridge, as mentionned earlier.

True enough, but the penalty of quick energy from simple sugars is the low that follows. Your body will respond better to a gradually releasing sugar like a complex carb.

Posted: Mar 12, 2010 at 17:51 Quote
Nshore3 wrote:
crankinstein wrote:

True enough, but the penalty of quick energy from simple sugars is the low that follows. Your body will respond better to a gradually releasing sugar like a complex carb.

What I do before an epic, is down simple AND complex carbs before a ride. I get the quick boost and then the slow burning fuel, no low. I also make sure to bring a snack, usually a clif bar or two, depending on the intended length of the ride.

Posted: Mar 12, 2010 at 20:06 Quote
sounds like a sound approach. The complex sugars will help prevent the low allowing you to get away with the boost of the simples. Coo

Posted: Mar 13, 2010 at 4:24 Quote
faith1rider wrote:
peanuts.

Peanuts are good to give your body something to burn off as you ride, but they're mostly fat. Carbs = Energy.

Posted: Mar 13, 2010 at 5:04 Quote
I find french toast with minimal amounts of syrup will keep you going all day, not sure if it's just me or if it actually does but every time I've had a good feed of french toast with milk to drink I am good to go all day.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012604
Mobile Version of Website