Flange size

• Previous Page
Posted: Feb 25, 2010 at 12:36 Quote
Hi there , I've got some shimano saint m800 hubs but can't find the flange sizes on the Internet to work out the spoke lentghs , also on the dt Swiss spoke calc I understand all of the details apart from one number you have to enter where it says "some Greek letter( can't find the symbol on my comp) of spokes" . Also because my atomlab pimp rims hav an offset do I change the spoke lenght accordingly

Thanks very much
Nathanb

Posted: Feb 25, 2010 at 13:47 Quote
what you need is a pair of vernier calipers (either mechanical or digital)

grab the hub, put the external tips of the calipers against the centre of opposing spoke holes on one flange / side

this will give you the required measurement

if you don't have the hubs to hand, or a pair of calipers, get a bike shop to build your wheels and work out this problem for you Wink

regarding your rim "offset" its does not make any difference to spoke length, you need the "ERD" (External rim diameter) to calculate your spoke length alongside PCD (pitch circle diameter i.e. flange hole to hole diameter, as discussed above) and flange distances relative to axle ends or hub centre

Posted: Feb 25, 2010 at 13:53 Quote
Thanks very much , when I was goin to use spin doctor hubs which I knew the dimensions off I could work out the lenths , however I still don't know what the Greek symbol is as when I put differant number in it it changes the spoke lenth, I can't think of any other variables so I'm not sure what it means , does anyone have a clue , thanks

Posted: Feb 25, 2010 at 14:00 Quote
it looks like a circle with a line through it and says "of spoke holes" after it

Posted: Feb 25, 2010 at 14:02 Quote
I have the DT Swiss on-line spoke calculator in front of me now, and I cannot see the greek symbol on this (its probably the "infinity" symbol, meaning you need to input a value)

photo

Posted: Feb 25, 2010 at 14:05 Quote
It's the last line under the hub section . Sorry for gettin confused LOL

Posted: Feb 25, 2010 at 14:17 Quote
It's phi, it stands for the radius.Geek

Posted: Feb 25, 2010 at 14:25 Quote
So would that not just be half the pitch circle diameter?

Posted: Feb 25, 2010 at 14:30 Quote
I'm really confused because the last line on the hub section only has one box to fill in ,ie not left/right side specific and a box to fill in it's weight so what does it mean?

Posted: Feb 25, 2010 at 14:36 Quote
It's the actual radius of the holes the spoke pokes through, not the distance between them

Posted: Feb 25, 2010 at 14:41 Quote
Ah thanks very much , does this differ much between hubs or are most hubs the same

Posted: Feb 26, 2010 at 4:38 Quote
Most hubs are similar - between 2 and a bit to almost 3 mm. The difference in that range won't change your final spoke length: punch in any number from 2.2 to 2.8 and you will see the precise spoke length will change about 0.5mm but the final spoke length does not change.

And on a technical point - that symbol is not Phi. It is the symbol for diameter, which is Radius x 2.

Posted: Feb 26, 2010 at 8:39 Quote
thanks for al the help , now to email shimano about the flange sizes and offsets

Posted: Feb 26, 2010 at 9:02 Quote
just looked on the shimano website and it say tthat you cant directly email them so i dont know how to get the flange sizes and offsets of my hubs , its 20mm front , 135mm rear , can anyone please help

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.022989
Mobile Version of Website