Help With Shin Guards

PB Forum :: Downhill
Help With Shin Guards
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 5, 2010 at 17:56 Quote
I'm looking for shin guards as I recently messed my shins up pretty bad.

I looked at 661 a lot, but I just can't tell.

I'd like something that has very minimal restriction on my riding (meaning I don't want them to feel super heavy and restricting on my legs)

suggestions, suggestions, suggestions!?

by the way, I'm trying to keep this at around $50.

Posted: Mar 5, 2010 at 18:02 Quote
I have the TLD brian lopes shin guards. They are light, offer good protection, and very comfy.

Another thing is is you dont want the whole shin guard a "liner" like kneepad pops out for like DJ and lighter riding. Also helps with claning them.

They sell for around $70-$80, but you could find an on-sale or used pair for much less.

I have also heard that 661 pads are good, but I have never tried any myself.

Hope This Helps, If you have any more questions just ask

EDIT: also, its good to buy a shin pad that is made specifically for Mountain Biking, because many of the other motocross shin pads sold at bike stores restrict you when pedaling. This is becuase Motocross doesnt require the same range of motion as mountain bikes.

Posted: Mar 5, 2010 at 18:33 Quote
thanks a ton, very helpful. I will definitely consider those.

haha, I know about the moto thing. they just look terrible too.

I also used to have a set of fox mtb shin guards that were just awful.

O+
Posted: Mar 5, 2010 at 18:45 Quote
I have the 661 race knee/shin guards and I really like them. They slide around a little at first till you figure out the best way to strap them on, varies by personal preference. They are very comfortable and they have saved my knees and shins several times and i highly recommend them,

Posted: Mar 5, 2010 at 23:20 Quote
freeridechef wrote:
I have the 661 race knee/shin guards and I really like them. They slide around a little at first till you figure out the best way to strap them on, varies by personal preference. They are very comfortable and they have saved my knees and shins several times and i highly recommend them,

I don't have personal experience, but my friend says that after you start biking you forget you're wearing them. Referring to the 661 race knee/shin ofc.

Edit: Not too sure about protection though, as he hasn't had a hard crash in them.

Posted: Mar 6, 2010 at 5:31 Quote
mtnbker395 wrote:
thanks a ton, very helpful. I will definitely consider those.

haha, I know about the moto thing. they just look terrible too.

No problem. The weird thing is, I use my TLD shin guards when I race motocross too.

I think that biking guards are more comfortable then the moto desinged ones anyway. The only thing is MTB guards dont help from is blowing up your knee (crushing your knee laterally). But that really only happens in moto, when your 200+lbs bike falls on you.

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 6, 2010 at 5:40 Quote
mtnbker395 wrote:

Were those the small, cheap ones with no knee straps? If so, then I agree. I don't know who on Earth would design a knee/shin guard that does nothing to actually help protect the knee. lol

On the other hand, the Fox Launch guards are great. They are super simple to put on (also do not need to take your shoes off to put on) and they stay in place. I crashed hard on them last summer and they saved my legs and knee from some serious root scraping damage. They are also fully perforated, so the cooling effect at high speed is great too.

Posted: Mar 6, 2010 at 5:45 Quote
Yea, The Launch pads are supposed to be sick...

Posted: Mar 6, 2010 at 5:56 Quote
i find that 661 do slide around alot. i have the roach rally fr knee/shin combo and they dont slide around. not too restrictive either

Posted: Mar 6, 2010 at 11:05 Quote
thanks a lot guys, this is super helpful. anymore opinions would be awesome.

Posted: Mar 6, 2010 at 11:20 Quote
Chubzor wrote:
freeridechef wrote:

I don't have personal experience, but my friend says that after you start biking you forget you're wearing them. Referring to the 661 race knee/shin ofc.

Edit: Not too sure about protection though, as he hasn't had a hard crash in them.

+1 i have them, they are light, tough as old boots and dont restrict riding at all. get them. i had a crash directly onto my knee from 8ft. didnt feel a thing. the time i crashed before doing the same thing without the pads, i couldnt walk for 2 days.

Posted: Mar 6, 2010 at 11:44 Quote
how much are they? 50? more? sorry, my internet is a bit sketchy right now.

Posted: Mar 6, 2010 at 11:57 Quote
Fox Launch Shorty's go for around $65 and are really nice. The latch system that they have clicks into the pad so that you can put them on without taking shoes off. They don't slide around that much and I barely notice them.

Posted: Mar 6, 2010 at 13:51 Quote
mtnbker395 wrote:
how much are they? 50? more? sorry, my internet is a bit sketchy right now.
if youre talking about 661 race, they are about £45 GBP

Posted: Mar 6, 2010 at 14:07 Quote
They aren't cheap, but look at POC!
I don't want other Shin Guards anymore, they are so good!!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009646
Mobile Version of Website