The Home of Heavy Artillery... At Home (aka, gun lovers thread)

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
The Home of Heavy Artillery... At Home (aka, gun lovers thread)
Posted: Jan 27, 2015 at 13:19 Quote
seraph wrote:
We saw American Sniper yesterday. It was good, but I honestly thought it was going to be more of a drama than a war movie. It spent a lot of time with him in enemy territory. I wish it had shown more footage of him helping vets before he met his tragic end.

my thoughts exactly on it, as a guy that likes action movies, it was good, but the action isnt what makes the story, i wish it would have been a little heavier on the post-war stuff...

Posted: Jan 27, 2015 at 14:21 Quote
I also heard that a lot of the action was heavily dramatized. Like his hunting of the enemy sniper. Allegedly he only mentions the sniper once in his book.

I also found the killshot CGI scene to be way over the top and unnecessary. I felt like I was watching The Matrix or Wanted.

Posted: Jan 27, 2015 at 17:26 Quote
Thinking about getting one of these for my next AR build (if I ever finish my 80% lower pistol build). KE Arms Drop-In:

http://www.kearms.com/drop-in-trigger

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.kearms.com/resize/Shared/Images/Product/KE-Arms-Drop-in-Trigger/dropin-trigger-1.jpg?lr=t&bw=620&bh=500
4.5 lbs pull weight, adjustable return, titanium nitride coating. Under $200 too, which is a very attractive trait.

Posted: Jan 29, 2015 at 16:30 Quote
seraph wrote:
ninjatarian wrote:
I'm far from an expert, but don't the SEALs kinda carry whatever works for them VS what's issued to them? Being an AK guy, I've read stories of some of them choosing to use AKs for certain missions.

I know that certain branches allow their soldiers to carry 7.62 rifles when they will be in an area that is populated by enemies carrying AKs, so that in case they have to scavenge ammo from the area they will be using the same caliber.

Speaking from my experience.... you are correct that we use 7.62. specifically the mk17, and the m110 sass (semi automatic sniper system). both chamber a 7.62. not for the purposes of scavenging ammo from the enemy. the ak47 fires a 7.62X39, the mk17 and sass both fire 7.62X51. which is substantially different. the terminal ballistics for a 7.62 vs a 5.56 are much greater at longer ranges.

Posted: Jan 29, 2015 at 16:39 Quote
I would love to own a SASS, but mostly because I could make "SASSy" jokes at the range.

But then I have found that most people at the range lack a good sense of humor.

O+
Posted: Jan 30, 2015 at 15:18 Quote
seraph wrote:
But then I have found that most people at the range lack a good sense of humor.

Haha! That's true. Most of the time when I shoot I'm with another friend or two all alone in the wilderness. What kind of range do ya'll go to?

Posted: Feb 6, 2015 at 3:03 Quote
photo

New picture of the trusty Tikka T3.

I think im going to try to sell the ATLAS bipod and monopod and get a TRG bipod instead.

Posted: Feb 7, 2015 at 9:00 Quote
Went shooting in the snow and sleet today.
Did more than well, even in poor conditions.

5 shots at 300 meters 328 yards . Handloaded ammunition with Lapua Scenar L 175 grain bullets. Best Ive managed so far.

Handloaded ammunition.
Tikka T3 Varmint rifle with Hensoldt scope.

Posted: Feb 7, 2015 at 19:36 Quote
Thank you for posting a legit 5 shot group. That 3 shot crap that a lot of people post annoys me to no end.

Posted: Feb 7, 2015 at 22:02 Quote
What a gorgeous precision instrument you have there sir! Good group too!

I picked up a DPMS lower receiver to finish my FDE build the other day. Parts kit should be here next week to finish it up. Pretty excited.

What's out there for budget friendly red dots with a fixed 3x or 4x magnification?

Posted: Feb 8, 2015 at 1:22 Quote
ZenkiS14 wrote:

I picked up a DPMS lower receiver to finish my FDE build the other day. Parts kit should be here next week to finish it up. Pretty excited.

What's out there for budget friendly red dots with a fixed 3x or 4x magnification?

Vortex makes the Spitfire Prism in a 3x magnification, but it's just under $500. Otherwise Primary Arms might make something.

Posted: Feb 8, 2015 at 12:19 Quote
seraph wrote:
ZenkiS14 wrote:

Vortex makes the Spitfire Prism in a 3x magnification, but it's just under $500. Otherwise Primary Arms might make something.

Yea, I was looking at the Spitfire a bit, but thats almost as much as I have in this whole rifle already...its a little budget build. I wish PA had something with magnification, but I havent found anything yet.

I might go with that Vortex eventually....still half the price of a Trijicon or equal.

This is roughly what it should look like.
photo

Posted: Feb 8, 2015 at 16:02 Quote
Well hopefully you put the rear sight on the correct way when you actually build it... Blank Stare

Posted: Feb 8, 2015 at 16:10 Quote
My pistol build should look something like this, except with a Noveske KX3 instead of the Carlson Tac Comp.

Plans.

O+
Posted: Feb 8, 2015 at 17:16 Quote
seraph wrote:
Well hopefully you put the rear sight on the correct way when you actually build it... Blank Stare
I thought guys were actually setting them up that way... better CQ setup or some shit.
Or maybe that's just swapping the front and rear sights.
f*ck it, I'm drunk.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017338
Mobile Version of Website