The Home of Heavy Artillery... At Home (aka, gun lovers thread)

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
The Home of Heavy Artillery... At Home (aka, gun lovers thread)
Posted: May 13, 2016 at 14:45 Quote
So maybe you guys have seen me post about it or maybe you haven't, but I have a Winchester Model 97 that my great grandpa bought new in 1907. My dad inherited it about 35 years ago but he never once shot it. I kind of took it over but of course with it sitting so long it was a little gummy, grimy, and stiff. I completely stripped it and for the first time yesterday I got to shoot it and it performed flawlessly! Big Grin I'd never shot a shotgun before so my shoulder is a little red, but I had fun. A classmate and I used our shop projects as targets.

photo

photo

photo

Posted: May 13, 2016 at 15:04 Quote
trozei wrote:
So maybe you guys have seen me post about it or maybe you haven't, but I have a Winchester Model 97 that my great grandpa bought new in 1907. My dad inherited it about 35 years ago but he never once shot it. I kind of took it over but of course with it sitting so long it was a little gummy, grimy, and stiff. I completely stripped it and for the first time yesterday I got to shoot it and it performed flawlessly! Big Grin I'd never shot a shotgun before so my shoulder is a little red, but I had fine. A classmate and I used our shop projects as targets.

photo

photo

photo

Those things are nice! My dad fairly recently bought a model 12. The old winchester stuff is amazing quality

Posted: May 13, 2016 at 15:41 Quote
trozei wrote:
So maybe you guys have seen me post about it or maybe you haven't, but I have a Winchester Model 97 that my great grandpa bought new in 1907. My dad inherited it about 35 years ago but he never once shot it. I kind of took it over but of course with it sitting so long it was a little gummy, grimy, and stiff. I completely stripped it and for the first time yesterday I got to shoot it and it performed flawlessly! Big Grin I'd never shot a shotgun before so my shoulder is a little red, but I had fun. A classmate and I used our shop projects as targets.

photo

photo

photo

lol

Badass, man!

Posted: May 13, 2016 at 17:04 Quote
hahaha yep, thats awesome!

Posted: May 13, 2016 at 19:10 Quote
[

Quote="trozei"]So maybe you guys have seen me post about it or maybe you haven't, but I have a Winchester Model 97 that my great grandpa bought new in 1907. My dad inherited it about 35 years ago but he never once shot it. I kind of took it over but of course with it sitting so long it was a little gummy, grimy, and stiff. I completely stripped it and for the first time yesterday I got to shoot it and it performed flawlessly! Big Grin I'd never shot a shotgun before so my shoulder is a little red, but I had fun. A classmate and I used our shop projects as targets.

photo

photo

photo
[/Quote]

Sweet old rig! I've got a Sears Utica from 1902 in my collection. Love it.

Be careful shooting high power or +P ammo out of a shotgun that old. I've had a few come in split barrels or action because the old steel is just that, old. Weren't designed with modern ammunition in mind.

Cheers

Posted: May 14, 2016 at 0:03 Quote
Haha yeah I'd done a lot of handgun and rifle shooting but I'd never fired a shotgun before so I just went to the store and bought two boxes of the cheap target shells to ease myself into it. Even those had a good kick to them though. My shoulder is red where the butt stock was.

Posted: May 14, 2016 at 0:18 Quote
trozei wrote:
Haha yeah I'd done a lot of handgun and rifle shooting but I'd never fired a shotgun before so I just went to the store and bought two boxes of the cheap target shells to ease myself into it. Even those had a good kick to them though. My shoulder is red where the butt stock was.

Neat!

Ive had a 1897 and a m12 and both were great shotguns. Keep feeding it with 2,3/4" shells and you will have a good time with your 1897.

Posted: May 16, 2016 at 12:24 Quote
So got some shooting in with my .22, .308 and 12 gauge today. Got my .22 sighted in at ~30m, same with the .308 (for now) and just tried my luck with my 12 gauge at that distance. Also shot my dad's .22, which is iron sights.

O+
Posted: May 16, 2016 at 15:09 Quote
therealtylerdurden wrote:
Lol

that's amazing lol

Posted: May 21, 2016 at 14:25 Quote
ZenkiS14 wrote:
Ready for 3 gun!

Just curious if you ran your 3gun yet, and how it went for you?
How do/did you like your M2?

Here is my M&P15 Sport II... Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24 scope, upgraded the furniture to Magpul MOE SL w/a MOE MVG vertical grip and a MOE Plus grip.
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah82/geezracer/IMG_1255_zps0yf4qd6e.jpg

ZenkiS14 wrote:
Report back on thoughts with the red dot, I'm curious.

So I ended up contacting Vortex because the laser was bad on the Venom. Returned the Venom and picked up a Vortex Viper.
RM at Vortex recommended the Viper, since it is suited more for my needs. (designed for pistols, sits much lower on the slide, has a 6MOA dot...which has been far easier for me to acquire quickly).

I have put about 500rds through the G19 with the Viper so far. The Red Dot has really helped me gain more confidence using both eyes on target. Achieving 5-6" groups at 25yrds. (I am no marksman, so that is pretty damn good for me).
Still have plenty of work to do though before my first GSSF event later this summer. Signed up for a pistol training course next week to brush up on fundamentals and get time in on a real range.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah82/geezracer/G19Viper_zpsu7ksrutp.jpg

Posted: May 21, 2016 at 15:58 Quote
Unfortunately I didn't get to meet up with Mr. Brown this last weekend to shoot, but I still got out to the desert east of San Diego to shoot with some buddies. Got to shoot my Ruger American Rimfire for the first time. Was so weird shooting a .22, it's been a while, I forgot just how soft it was, especially compared to my .30-30.

photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
(Last two are me)

Picked up a spinning metal target for the .22, was pretty fun to shoot. Nice little clink and seeing it spin around. Was hoping for a bigger steel plate for the 336, but the shop we went to didn't have one.

Got the scope decently sighted it. Will be buying a bipod for it. Have my scout scope in the mail right now for the 336. Pretty set. Smile

Posted: May 21, 2016 at 22:04 Quote
First 3 gun match is tomorrow, so we'll see how it all goes!

Tonight was a rough night though, ugh!

photo

photo

photo

Posted: May 22, 2016 at 0:27 Quote
What happened there Zeno?

Yeah, sorry we didn't manage to get together Stu... shitty timing on a server taking a crap on me. Definitely hit me up again next time you're down south !

Posted: May 22, 2016 at 5:17 Quote
Assembling the new 9mm SBR AR, smashed up the bolt catch roll pin with using a wrong punch I guess..

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015162
Mobile Version of Website