The Home of Heavy Artillery... At Home (aka, gun lovers thread)

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
The Home of Heavy Artillery... At Home (aka, gun lovers thread)
Posted: Sep 21, 2016 at 5:31 Quote
ctmtb98 wrote:
What do you guys think of the Ruger Mini 14 in stainless with the 16 inch barrel? I'm looking to get a semi-auto that's CT legal and is extremely durable.

Its really easy to get the thin barrels on them too hot to hit much real fast but its too much fun doing it. My dad has one I used A LOT for several years. It was the funnest thing ever to shoot. I want one again now......

Posted: Sep 21, 2016 at 5:32 Quote
StUone7 wrote:
Mini 30 or bust Razz

^^^This, this is also a strong suggestion.

Posted: Sep 21, 2016 at 5:41 Quote
If I could I would love to have an M1A of some sort. But they are not possible to have on a hunters permit in Sweden and there are no competition diciplines where it would fit, so its ruled out there too.
Anyhow, they make or atleast made the mini 14 in .300 BLK, now that should be a fun little rifle to have. Preferably suppressed!

Posted: Sep 21, 2016 at 7:09 Quote
cougar797 wrote:
ctmtb98 wrote:
What do you guys think of the Ruger Mini 14 in stainless with the 16 inch barrel? I'm looking to get a semi-auto that's CT legal and is extremely durable.

Its really easy to get the thin barrels on them too hot to hit much real fast but its too much fun doing it. My dad has one I used A LOT for several years. It was the funnest thing ever to shoot. I want one again now......

The quality has gone up a lot kind of recently from what I understand. The barrels are supposed to be far better now. Hence, the price has gone up a lot

Posted: Sep 21, 2016 at 7:54 Quote
cougar797 wrote:
StUone7 wrote:
Mini 30 or bust Razz

^^^This, this is also a strong suggestion.

I think I will go with the .223 version because the ammo is more common and cheaper. I the mini 30 is definitely very cool tho

Posted: Sep 21, 2016 at 8:44 Quote
I always thought 7.62x39 was the cheapest. I guess if you had an AK and didn't mind shooting the cheap Russian steel loads.

Posted: Sep 21, 2016 at 8:49 Quote
StUone7 wrote:
I always thought 7.62x39 was the cheapest. I guess if you had an AK and didn't mind shooting the cheap Russian steel loads.

The worst part about 7.62x39 is the ammo type availability. If you want to shoot cheap steel jacket FMJ to just sling everywhere its a blast. Otherwise.... I'd love to have the mini in the .300. Would be an absurdly fun toy.

Posted: Sep 21, 2016 at 8:53 Quote
I've debated getting one for the soul purpose of having a short woods gun while tending to my lease. In the even a family of pissy hogs rolled up I could dissipate them on a budget as compared to doing it with a .308.
But I've gotta say they have gone up in price over the years!

Yesterday I purchased a Remington 700 mountain ss in 7mm-08 with a 22" barrel. Pretty excited for it to come in and get mated up with a nice silver vx3!

Posted: Sep 21, 2016 at 9:30 Quote
StUone7 wrote:

Bear with me here...

Steel case .223 & steel case 7.62x39 are roughly the same price (these days). The problem is that for a long time steel case .223 didn't work well. It wasn't a tapered case and would start to jam once the lacquer and crap from the casing built up in the chamber. As such, people had no choice but to basically run brass cased .223 which is more expensive.

Flash forward to 2016 and steel cased .223 works much better now (less / different lacquer) and imported steel 7.62x39 prices have gone through the roof. I have shot thousands of rounds of steel and brass .223 through my beater AR without cleaning and haven't had an issue.

I wouldn't personally bother with 7.62 x 39 anymore unless there was a very specific reason. I actually wish my Saiga was a .308 instead. .223 is more plentiful, much greater variety of Ammo, and more universal.

Posted: Sep 21, 2016 at 9:35 Quote
ctmtb98 wrote:

Always been a fan of the Mini-14.

That said, now that what is basically the original version is back in production...

https://www.inland-mfg.com/Inland-Carbines/M1-1945.html

Posted: Sep 21, 2016 at 9:42 Quote
Just got back from the range with the 6,5x47.
Its a soft shooter and it seems like it could do well with Norma Golden Target 130 grain BTHP bullets. I will have to load up some more over 34,8 grains of Norma 203B.
All steps in the ladder test I shot today was sub MOA, which is always a good sign.

Posted: Sep 21, 2016 at 9:51 Quote
chaserider wrote:
Its a soft shooter and it seems like it could do well with Norma Golden Target 130 grain BTHP bullets. I will have to load up some more over 34,8 grains of Norma 203B.
All steps in the ladder test I shot today was sub MOA, which is always a good sign.

Nice! How far did you walk it out?

Posted: Sep 21, 2016 at 10:04 Quote
ninjatarian wrote:
chaserider wrote:

Nice! How far did you walk it out?

The local range only has a 100 yard range. So thats it for today. But more will follow!

Posted: Sep 21, 2016 at 11:21 Quote
Mini 14's are so much fun. Makes you feel like a villain or cop in an 80's movie. My dad has the civilian version of this (different front sight , no bayonet lug and a different flash hider)
photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016234
Mobile Version of Website