How do i get rust off?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
How do i get rust off?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Mar 27, 2010 at 9:20 Quote
i have rust in a stem bolt and in lock jaw bolts (grips). i cant get it all out with steel wool. help? how can i get it out?

Posted: Mar 27, 2010 at 15:24 Quote
Spray some WD40 between the bolt and thread on the other exposed end of the bolt. Put the allen key in, hit it with a hammer at the end. this will crack the thread. then take the bolt out as usual. enjoy.

Posted: Mar 27, 2010 at 17:20 Quote
Leave it, rust in bolts isn't a huge deal.

Posted: Mar 27, 2010 at 17:27 Quote
andrewyoung wrote:

then it becomes to bad and actually cant them off or worse case u cracks the bolt

Posted: Mar 27, 2010 at 17:32 Quote
madtag12 wrote:
andrewyoung wrote:

then it becomes to bad and actually cant them off or worse case u cracks the bolt

Well, he said theirs rust in the hole, not on the threads.

Posted: Mar 27, 2010 at 17:34 Quote
its just surface rust, its not like its rotting or anything...just leave it.

Posted: Mar 29, 2010 at 3:07 Quote
Prevention is the best cure.

Posted: Mar 29, 2010 at 4:16 Quote
You can get a special brush on chemical that eats away the rust in its entirety but i think its quite exensive and you would need to paint or laquer the treated surface once finished or the rust will just reappear fairly quickly. Only issue with that is if its on bolts which are adlusted regularly the paint will just be a hinderance and wear off quickly anyway. The best option too completely illiminate the rust is too just replace the bolts.....

Posted: Mar 30, 2010 at 5:14 Quote
Use an allen key less big than bolt. Wrap a cloth round it and give a drop of oil/chainlube etc. in da hole. Turn the allen key sometimes...rust will go off.

Posted: Mar 30, 2010 at 7:31 Quote
KATZfriend wrote:
Use an allen key less big than bolt. Wrap a cloth round it and give a drop of oil/chainlube etc. in da hole. Turn the allen key sometimes...rust will go off.
thanks. i will try this one

Posted: Mar 30, 2010 at 7:46 Quote
ok get some tin foil and put water on it. then just start scrubbing the rust off with the tin foil. Trust me, i've done it before

Posted: Mar 30, 2010 at 16:05 Quote
easy-as-123 wrote:
i have rust in a stem bolt and in lock jaw bolts (grips). i cant get it all out with steel wool. help? how can i get it out?

Do you just want the rust off or do you want to get the bolt out.
To get the bolt out - soak with a rust blaster or wd-40 and let it sit for a while and then remove. To get in deep with the allen keys make sure the bolt is cleaned out.
Once something is rusted, it is difficult to keep it rust free. Prevent it by cleaning out areas that may trap water.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2014. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv15 0.016279
Mobile Version of Website