April Photo project: Film Noir

PB Forum :: Biking Photos
April Photo project: Film Noir
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Mar 28, 2010 at 20:21 Quote
Film Noir as defined by wiki and edited by Ian Hylands
"low-key lighting schemes of many classic film noirs are associated with stark light/dark contrasts and dramatic shadow patterning—a style known as chiaroscuro (a term adopted from Renaissance painting). The shadows of Venetian blinds or banister rods, cast upon an actor, a wall, or an entire set, are an iconic visual in noir. Characters' faces may be partially or wholly obscured by darkness.

Film noir is also known for its use of low-angle, wide-angle, and skewed, or Dutch, angle shots. Other devices of disorientation relatively common in film noir include shots of people reflected in one or more mirrors, shots through curved or frosted glass or other distorting objects."

I am looking forward to see what everyone comes up with. Thanks to dingus for this months Idea.

Posted: Mar 28, 2010 at 20:25 Quote
To give an example of film noir for whoever is wondering. Thinking this is going to be cool to try.
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.lafterhall.com/film_noir_0013.jpg

Posted: Mar 28, 2010 at 21:42 Quote
Here's a portrait I shot a week or two ago which to me seems reasonable for this. Can't wait to try it more! I'm guessing if I lowered the exposure a bit it would fit better.

photo

O+
Posted: Mar 28, 2010 at 22:04 Quote
There is a difference between under exposing and low key.

remember "low-key lighting schemes of many classic film noirs are associated with stark light/dark contrasts and dramatic shadow patterning—a style known as chiaroscuro (a term adopted from Renaissance painting). The shadows of Venetian blinds or banister rods, cast upon an actor, a wall, or an entire set, are an iconic visual in noir. Characters' faces may be partially or wholly obscured by darkness.

Film noir is also known for its use of low-angle, wide-angle, and skewed, or Dutch, angle shots. Other devices of disorientation relatively common in film noir include shots of people reflected in one or more mirrors, shots through curved or frosted glass or other distorting objects."

Sorbets post is classic film noir

Posted: Mar 28, 2010 at 22:10 Quote
I think this will be one of the first things to try with the new camera, just need to get someone to model...

O+
Posted: Mar 28, 2010 at 22:19 Quote
It will be my first portrait/ concept shot with mine

O+
Posted: Mar 28, 2010 at 22:39 Quote
Modern interpretation from a recent shoot:
photo

It's not exactly film noir, but I do feel that it captures some of the vibe (including the shadow of my friend on the right wall). Here's the flickr page with info.

Posted: Mar 29, 2010 at 22:59 Quote
Tried it today, was definitely something new for me. First time using a snoot of a flash.
photo

Posted: Mar 29, 2010 at 23:06 Quote
Fancy schmancy. Awesome.

O+
Posted: Apr 12, 2010 at 9:31 Quote
I was part of a short film in a film noir style recently.

O+
Posted: Apr 23, 2010 at 21:41 Quote
hm might have to jump in on this

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010323
Mobile Version of Website