Intense SOCOM- only pure DH ?

PB Forum :: Other
Intense SOCOM- only pure DH ?
Author Message
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 at 14:51 Quote
yeah really though MBA, what a joke. i don't think that an intense bike is a disposable purchase. i just finished riding an uzzi set up with a boxxer and dh spec for two seasons and i would surely ride that again this year if i wasn't more interested in the socom frame. it's been coast to coast on canada and has seen a lot of miles and deffinetly not under perfect conditions. i expect nothing less from a socom because it's a FRO bike.

Posted: Nov 24, 2007 at 15:29 Quote
matt-beer wrote:
yeah really though MBA, what a joke. i don't think that an intense bike is a disposable purchase. i just finished riding an uzzi set up with a boxxer and dh spec for two seasons and i would surely ride that again this year if i wasn't more interested in the socom frame. it's been coast to coast on canada and has seen a lot of miles and deffinetly not under perfect conditions. i expect nothing less from a socom because it's a FRO bike.

i'm agreeing with matt he knows what hes talking about!... just a question what is warrenty like on an intense bike? and Dh riding is very brutal! depeinding on the freeride just a few jumps like 20 feet the most with smooth landings is not a lot more frame stess than a few intese races.

Posted: Nov 24, 2007 at 23:07 Quote
id assume its based on flexural testing in a lab to simulate the average rider putting it through XX number of races for a few years.

but after having seen one, i can't imagine it being very easy to break it

Posted: Nov 25, 2007 at 11:39 Quote
ok, I have just sent an email with my question to Intense ... Cool

Posted: Nov 25, 2007 at 11:45 Quote
i heared that with guarantee, for that bike you will only get it if you are racing cos its made for racing only

Posted: Nov 25, 2007 at 11:49 Quote
the problem with the socom bieng freerideable is more about the geometry than the strentgh of the frame, any frame will eventually bite the dust.
the problem is that the socom is built using the same geometry as the m3, just with slightly less travel. it is very long and may be harder to drop than say, an Uzzi that has a shorter wheelbase.

Posted: Nov 25, 2007 at 13:24 Quote
the geometry of the socom is a little more tame than the m3. it fits perfectly between the uzzi and the socom because it has a 1.5" headtube which lowers the front end more than the m3, shortening the wheelbase and decreasing the head angle.

Posted: Nov 25, 2007 at 13:44 Quote
matt-beer wrote:
the geometry of the socom is a little more tame than the m3. it fits perfectly between the uzzi and the socom because it has a 1.5" headtube which lowers the front end more than the m3, shortening the wheelbase and decreasing the head angle.

Here is the geometry of the 2007 Socom and the M6.


As you can see, there are some large differences in the Headtube angles and the BB height between the two, but other than that, the geometry is fairly similar.

http://www.sicklines.com/gallery/data/664/medium/2008_Intense_geometry_2.jpg

Posted: Nov 25, 2007 at 14:02 Quote
MajesticMOOSE wrote:
matt-beer wrote:
the geometry of the socom is a little more tame than the m3. it fits perfectly between the uzzi and the socom because it has a 1.5" headtube which lowers the front end more than the m3, shortening the wheelbase and decreasing the head angle.

Here is the geometry of the 2007 Socom and the M6.


As you can see, there are some large differences in the Headtube angles and the BB height between the two, but other than that, the geometry is fairly similar.

http://www.sicklines.com/gallery/data/664/medium/2008_Intense_geometry_2.jpg

Intense tries to propose two differents dh bikes. The M6 is a pure, high speed racing bike and the socom is meant to technical trails with tight corners and stuff like that. Intense has now very specific bike to meet the needs of everyone.

Posted: Nov 27, 2007 at 0:16 Quote
My mail:


Dear Intense,
I am interested in your frame SOCOM. I know, that there is a sign FRO -
For Racing Only. I wanted to ask if this frame can be used in small
Freeride. I live in Warsaw (Poland), and I have about 300 km to go to
mountains... I am not talking about Freeride such as huge drops, and
long gaps, but some jumps, drops (max. 3m)...
Believe me, I love that frame Smile and I' d like to buy it. I read on
pinkbike.com forum, that it's a frame just for 2 seasons. I am not a
professionalist, so the bike will not be used so hard. Tell me how the
guarantee looks like if I crack frame element.



Their answer:


The Socom is a great frame. It should be perfect for what you describe
For more extreme freeride applications I would recommend an Uzzi VPX.
You can purchase either one through Crazy Crank in Poland

Posted: Nov 27, 2007 at 0:50 Quote
when i was looking at reviews on frames on chain reaction (i was bored) there were a few reviews saying that the welds had 'drifted' on some of the intense bikes, but i don't think there were any about them cracking

Posted: Nov 27, 2007 at 1:24 Quote
Get it, I ride mine off drops and jumps and on wallrides.

I've smashed it into the ground a few times and it hasnt dented or shown any signs of weakness.

But they are a lot of cash, so if you do break one - you wont get warranty, however if you wont be doing drops over 3m or anything super huge, I'd say you'd be fine.

Posted: Dec 5, 2007 at 17:09 Quote
how much is the socom frame....like the 06 model?

Posted: Dec 5, 2007 at 17:29 Quote
sinister16 wrote:
I am also thinking about getting a Socom. In the Socom Review in Mountain Bike magazine it says that the Socom is a bike bred for downhill but can be EASILY jumped/dropped. I would keep the dropping to a certain limit but for normal doubles or tabletops it should be perfectly fine.
cory normal jumps tabletops mean that they hve shallow ish lips and landings as big as or bigger than the lips

Posted: Dec 5, 2007 at 18:13 Quote
The Socom is SO underated about his freeride capability.


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2014. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv92 0.013551
Mobile Version of Website