Chris Akrigg: Through The Mill

Aug 24, 2012 at 6:59
Aug 24, 2012
by Matt Wragg

Wow is the only word you need for this. Chris Akrigg interprets mountain biking unlike anyone else there, so take the phone off the hook, brew a mug of tea and give this the next six minutes of your life. You won't regret it.

That was awesome, I wonder how many punctures he got in that run down building?
 Akriggs riding is essentially a massive f*ck you to all the people who have used the 'I cant do that, I brought the wrong bike/tyres/ etc'..............
 Never thought i would ever see a video better than the Danny MacAskill video until now
 That's why he's running a Stan's Flow tubeless setup!
 Danny MacAskill hasn't got a patch on akrigg!!!!! .........the guys a total legend! good to see him back on his bike after that nasty fall! Keep it up Chris
 He's running what the sponsor gives him to ride. this dude would be bad ass on a Huffy.
 He doesn't get punctures, he just lightly spins and stalls on the tips of nails. Unbelievable riding! Makes me wish my teocali wasn't too small so I could keep it. This guy is not human.
 Using gates is definitely too mainstream.
 like i said this video is better
 I still like MacAskill. But Akrigg's just upped the game on a Full Suss as well as being around the scene for quite a while. Either way, their both Quality UnHuman riders! Ha ha Big Grin
 I wish I have 5% of his skills.
 I'm not saying MacAskill's crap lol farrr from it....... But I think that Chris has just got that edge and his riding is just so smooth and Flawless! I ride like this......... In my dreams!!! And yeah your right they are both Awsome, I think Superhuman puts them both into better context lol!!
 I like how akrigg rides a regular looking bike, something that anybody could be seen riding...while macaskill has that weird ass trials bike. Big ups to akrigg for editing his own video too! Multi talented!
 Not sure why we now have to compare Danny Macaskill to Chris Akrigg, their riding styles are similar in ways but entirely different, I don't think you can really say one is better than the other. This is an amazing comeback edit for Akrigg, no matter what style of bike he is on, he makes it look really good and really easy. Can't fully grasp some of the lines he rides, never mind how smooth he makes them look. I'd call it a VOD but it's bloody Vimeo.
 Macaskill did it on Orange bike.
 Agree with mackdaddy. Only thing similar between the two is that they're riding trials. How they interpret their terrain is entirely different. I feel like akrigg sees what is equivalent to technical singletrack while Danny sees a slope course. Danny brings in a street style and tricks which makes him fun to watch while Chris brings shear technicality and gnar, therefore making him fun to watch. PS, hope Chris is up to date on his tetnis shots, place was gnarly
 Chris, you should challenge Jesus at riding a bike..
 Incredible locations, incredible riding and really well film/edited! f*cking loved it!!
6 minutes of my live VERY well spent Smile
 I legitimately would not have been surprised if he had jumped on the top of the train at the end.
 I can only dream of having that much control on a bike.
 That won't be the last time i watch that, for sure. And i will be dreaming about having that much control on a bike, for many nights to come! :-)
 I used to ride trials (obviously not to this level lol). If you have never ridden trials you have no idea how hard it is to do normally let alone on a full sus and he makes it look effortless. Massive respect for the guy. Easily the best all round rider!
 those sidehops on the stairs were mindblowing! I could do them on my Echo, but I didnt think that was humanly possible with a squishy! makes me want to put flat pedals on my Morewood!
 The fact that he came back from such a serious injury not too long ago deserves some attention as well. This guy is unreal.
 Gotta be in the top 5 talented allround riders in the world.
 Trials is understandably hard on a enough rigid bike but on a full Suss! That's Redonculous! Akrigg stepping up his game is an understatement!
 By far my favorite rider.
 Tom... can you explian why doing what Chris did on a full-sus is more difficult than a trials bike? Thanks bud...

if anyone has not yet seen him ride the fixed wheel ... it's just at hing of beauty... love his style and moxie
 CAUSE YOU HAVE TO PRELOAD caps, woops, the suspension and have more going on to think about with a full squish. It easier to hop around when you are on a rigid bike.
 +1 for using the word Redonculous
 Think also about the amount of mass you have to move with each movement. And much squish is not all that helpful during some moves... his rear is setup super tight probably for a more positive feel.
 Not only are his bike skills incredible but all of his edits are way better than the norm. The music always has a quirky tie-in with the motion and the shots are set up to fool the eye sometimes. Super entertaining.
 The flow of the first minute had me hooked, with the different angles and everything, especially the camera getting knocked into the water, just really like the flow of both Chris and the film guy/ editor.
 heres the thing: chris IS the film guy/ editor. he has people record him and the rest he does in his own.
 The best vid of this month this guy has such mind blowing skills on a bike.
 Definitely one of the best series of riding videos on the web. Every episode has some ridiculous riding and some really unique terrain/riding spots.
 Duuuuuuude... he did what?
 exactly what I was thinking
 Oh my sweet jesus. He owned absolutely everything he touched, that's what he did.
 Standing up clapping!!! Braaaaaaaaaavo!!!
 One of the best videos I have ever seen that inspires me to be that good on a bike
 Video of the year,,
 YES, and 'A Hill in Spain' should have won it last year!
 yes..I do Agree..
 Gets my vote for sure. Epic video - Nice one Chris Akrigg.
 This is freeriding - the skills to ride literally whatever is in front of you.
 every part of that video was awesome. riding, camera angles, editing, music, riding, location, everything. thanks to everyone involved in sharing this here.
 Wow. I love it. "Forget trying to pigeonhole his riding..." Exactly. Just go out and ride. You can tell he loves what he does. Forget trying to categorize yourself and just ride your bike on whatever terrain comes your way.
 Chris is always an inspiration rider to watch with a flair that makes his videos quite enjoyable. The film crew does great work with the cinematography. Can't wait to hit the trails after wrenching all day even more now.. Gonna rock my style... because its about smiles per hour not miles per hour!
 actually chris is the film crew
 While reading the video description what stuck with me was Matt's comment about Chris Akrigg interpreting mountain bike in a unique way. It is a very insightfull comment. Chris Akrigg doesn't ride a mountain bike, he presents us with his personal interpretation of what mountain biking is. It may be obvious to some but for me this comment was an eye opener. What's even better about all his videos though is the way he reminds us that mountain bike is first and foremost about having fun. Sure his skills are insane but for me his vids are not about showing off his skills. It's all about how much fun one can have on a mountain bike. I guess that makes him even more awesome. Ride on Chris!
 I can't think of a better all around bike rider than Chris Akrigg. If anyone can, please link me to videos. I would really love to see it.
 He's just at such a high level, at everything!
 Patrick his all around is killer just insane stuff and looking smooth. Not sure there are 5-6 20"s right now slaying. These 2 are good. Different just more TECH. less big moves...the 3rd is wicked smooth and over 30!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q6K0_TbE2Q&feature=player_embedded!

vimeo.com/41675862
The kid above is 15

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrUiGIIklS4
 hope this one wins voy 2012.. a hill in spain should won it in 2011... amazing riding... just glued me to monitor!!!
 Akrigg never lacks imagination on a bike. The way he incorporates his biking skills into the scene, whether natural or manmade, is creative and daring. That is a real unique personal STYLE. Ever shince his first video, Akrigg has been trying to break the boundaries of MTB, and he just did a perfect job. Not everyone has the power to redefine what,how, and where we can ride.
 I like at the 5:05 mark, after side-hopping off the brick house he rides towards the camera with a grin on his face.....like he really liked/was pleased with that line.

Akrigg, rocks!! He inspires me to ride whatever I feel like, and how I interpret the the line...... not to be bound by what bike I'm riding, or what the norm is. I am no way comparing myself to him, I have just always like how his videos inspire me.

thanks Chris
 When you watch him ride he can see lines that no-one else can, things that I wouldnt even notice & he's hitting and making it look easy. Id say hes one of, if not the best, all round rider I've seen on a bike. if you havent checked them out have a look at him racing on the red bull mini velodrome, or the uphill cobbled race he won, or even the fixie riding he had a go at for a while. Saw him riding at Lee Quarry in March and he was flying on the pump track they've got there.
 I think Chris has gotten even better since coming back from his horrible accident ! The guys a huge inspiration to getting back on a bike after a fall and getting on with it !!
 Chris... your balls MUST be visible from space?!?!
Well done on the recovery and your still totally my hero!
Awesome!... with a capital A! Wink
 in that last scene I kinda thought he is going to 360 down on the train xD
really great video Smile good job chris!
 I was a little sad when the train had gone and he was still on the bridge, but other than that, bloody aweome video!
 Nope, no regrets what-so-ever! Sick as always.

Been a big Akrigg fan for a long time, glad to see he's back after that crash and putting it down. Chris, if you read these posts, watching you lay on the ground, that was prob. the roughest vid. I've seen on here. Congrats! Stay strong!

So, now that this has been done, wonder what McCaskill will have?? They seem to go back and forth with their vids.....

Comment on the "pingeonhole", 100% disagree and can't see why people would think that. Akrigg is mad skilled at many forms of biking, including moto and moto-trials. Personally I think he's probably the best "freerider" out there. It always seems he can litteraly make something out of nothing...even if he's just riding down a flat trail. If there's an obsticle in his way, he's already over it before I'm saying "what the F**K?"

There's more vids of him on the mongoose site if you're interested in seeing more, I tend to watch a Trail in Spain quite often, some sick rock action....it's done before his crash, but obvsiously as we can all see it didn't slow him down at all.
 Holy shit there's a lot of comments on this video. f*ckin' Chris Akrigg, you crazy f*cker!!! Trials on a fully in a building that looks like it could fall on top of you!!! All I could think through that whole thing was nails through your feet & broken glass cutting your hands if you fell. It was like almost gut wrenching to watch. I was actually scared. Especially on that beam, right at the top with the front tire hooked over it & just balancing there! f*ck me!!! This was awesome. Great vision, great riding. I love the riders that really go way out've the bounds that have been almost unanimously set by the masses & do gnarly things on a FMB just because it can be done. You're up there with D Mac & Mike Mongomery bro.

f*ck all you dumb c*nts talkin' 'bout Chris is better than Danny & Danny better than Chris. They're both doing things that no one else is. Shove your stupid opinions about who's better than who straight up your asses. They're both better than all you pussies.
 Watched it 3 times now ,it gets better each time,Canada has Whistler ,the UK has dark satanic mills ,and endless rain !!!!!
 Well I presume "through the mill" is a play on words related to Chris's recovery from a really horrible fall which is "http://www.pinkbike.com/video/201140/".

Looks like Chris has got his bike handling sorted and I hope very much that his day to day life isn't still impacted by the fall too.

Fair play Chris, I dont know you and never will but injuries are crap and I m glad you can carry on doing what you enjoy and keep inspiring us all.
 The level of skill he has is phenomenal, and after a massive injury!!!! MIND BLOWING CHRIS!
 what injury are you referring to?
 he shattered his femur falling of a cliff while attempting a gap on a street trials bike
 Blows my mind everytime. Great mix of trials, tech lines, some street, some trail, some FR, and some killer scenery. This is how I want to ride, but with a bit more high speed DH stuff and jumps.
 I would sell my asshole on craigslist to have half of his talent.
 Outstanding,his editing is awesome,his riding sublime,on a par with "A HILL IN SPAIN"
 back on form my man! that was so sick.
 so sick!tup His freeride crossed with trials style riding,im going to dub freetrials is such a wicked style..I'd love a bike set up like that..Awesome editCamera Raw riding Helmet Salute
 I'm surprised that he is still sponsored by mongoose because sponsorship is all about advertisement of product, he is riding a discontinued model so that says too me that the latest model isn't very good and makes me want one even less
 this man is hands down the best overall bike handler in the world! the fact that he can not only ride some of those things, but make them look as smooth and effortless as he does is insane. props!
 hes back !!! loved it could watch youre vids all day long also we made one of the lips (hip jump) in the quarry hehe wont say were like Smile
 Another great video from Akrigg... he's such an inspirational rider! The style of making fun of anything that comes in his way makes it look like a computer game! tup
 What ever mongoose r paying this man it is'nt enough............ one word .........Awesome!!!
 You are the beast!!!!!!! i love your vids and your riding style is sooo cool.Glad you are back on the bike and shreading again!!!!!!!!!!keep it up.
 he has such a unique riding style and it makes him so entertaining to watch also what bike is that ?
 I believe its a mongoose nugget
 It is a Mongoose. Not sure what model.
 He usually rides a Mongoose Teocali when he uses a full sus,but not exactly sure what he's on in this video.
 Definately a Mongoose and 99% sure it's a nugget, just read it on the frame Wink
 its a mongoose nugget
 Mongoose nugget for sure. Very versatile ride, I use mine for everything.
 sweet video, he just redefines how you can ride a bike and where you can ride it! well done Chris and loving that your back on a nugget
 VOY!!!!!!!!!!! macaskill and akrigg are about on par with each other in their videos, someone needs to round those 2 up and make a trials video to RULE THEM ALL!!!!!
 I wonder??

Is there a place in the world where he can not ride?
 there is, but only because the lava hasn't cooled yet.
 Chris Akrigg is one of the best, pure talent & skills...I love watching all your Videos dude...Amazing bike handling technique kudos!!!
 "so take the phone off the hook, brew a mug of tea and give this the next six minutes of your life. You won't regret it". This is good advice!
 Nice to have you back Chris Smile When I thought I couldn't get more stocked by watching Chris' videos, he uploads this one... Omg, such a talented rider, full of skills.
 good to see him back at this level. very impressive very inspiring. got the same thought regarding punctures on the old building structure.
 I wasn't gonna ride my bike today but after watching this, I dont think I have a choice. Big Grin
 Fair play like, never new a mountain bike could do stuff like this, truly amazing..Fantastic work Chris Akrigg !!
 I love how the door panel blows out when he lands on it from the floor above! Sick vid! Phenomenal riding.
 wow, impressive!!! next we will see him ride a full suspension fixey with no brakes!
 That was just so unique and fun to watch, great edit! I fully agree with buffalolee 100%!
 i have o say i like his "hill in spain" even better but that doesn't mean that this video is just AWESOME!!!
 not sure about the music - always a matter of taste

riding is super-dope-sick-excellent (could´t decide which one describes it best :-) )
 Good to see one of the best bike-handlers in the world back at doing what he does best.
 but he did not do evey thing on his frist try and that is his job he gets paid to do that
 I want whatever his wheels are. If they can handle him, they would be more than enough for me!
 man i love how does all of it on a full suspension not just a regular looking bike or a hardtail
 Total legend. Even after such a gnarly femur shattering he pulls this off. Awesome!
 ... and i thought that he wanted to jump up that train ...

prolly he can really do that Big Grin
 Mr. Akrigg must have seen From The Inside Out, the last train scene was his own 'train gap' moment!
 This guy is incredible. I've seen other videos of his, and they are just as good. He's a phenom. Period.
 psshh Someone get this guy a better sponser
 I don't even know what to say, besides that was the quickest 6 minutes of my life.
 Is that what ur missus said?? Lol joke!
 nice to see some local stuff in a big vid. much respect
 thanks for another great edittup
 The bike handling is superb, but what is more amazing is the line composition. 4:40 for the win!
 Skookum riding. Good to see someboby's making money at the mill.
 Such a great rider, great to see him back from such a horrific injury.
Props +++++
 Love Chris's unique mix of trials, freeride and dirtjump and the editing was brilliant Big Grin
 just awesome!!! hats off..... VOD me thinks.
 This guys riding has improved so much! I mean he has always been incredible... but this is a whole new level of epic!
 amazing-back to his best
 nutty! Akrigg is so inspiring!
 Akrigg killing it yet again! Its great to see him back on form!
 such a nice sense of flow!!
 I thought I just saw James Bond on a bike...respect to Chris...massive skills him and Danny.
 That is one BURLY video! This is pretty amazing considering he shattered his femur only a year ago. Well done, Chris!
 That was rad. I love how he ueses a normal freeride bike too. And how did he not get a flat in that burned buiding?
 what an incredibly rewarding 6 minute break from work (sigh, riding daydream begins...)
 whoa.. when the train passed at the end, i was like " jump on it!" but then i realized how terrible wrong that could go.. :\
 have long not seen such a good movie. nice m8
 SO GOOD to see ya back on it!!!!
 Akkers > everyone else
 So stinking awesome! Got some mad skills for sure!
 unbelievable, almost like he was Skating that bike in the first bits. Thats full talent.
 my thoughts exactly in fact the whole vid reminded me of skateboarding using urban landscape etc
 It's BikeTrials. Not skateboarding, rollerblading, or some other homosexual shit.
 Just a thought mate didnt intende to dilute your culture or anything. Try reading Skateboarding Space and the City: Architecture and the Body you may get my drift if not no worries
 I suppose I'd fall into that category then if I occasionally hit the skate park without girl jeans on? Judge elsewhere BikeTrials
 On better form than ever, even after his accident. You boss!
 This is beyond the awesomeness!
 awesome video!!
 That was unbelievable! This guy has skills!
 Why did it have to end?
 freak from another world............
 Bike artist, houdini, stuntman, entertainer. That video made my day!!
 Foly Huck...that was awesome!!
 Ze Germans must be pumped about this. Kalkbrenner!
 Great movie and amazing control of bike. I'd like to have skills like him.
 dude fuck off your a fucken fag
 finding that warehouse would be like christmas for him!
 YEAH BRO!! Great to see him pack!
 truely insane video! whats the song?
 Good to see you back Chris!
 Fucked up......dude is like a cat....
 Wow! apperently i don't deserve to ride a bike!! lol! I am Not Worthy!
 We should found a charity for his bike.
 Off his box... thinking outside of the box! Awesome bit of riding. a different approach on riding!
 thats mint! glad his leg is all good now Smile
 I need to take a nap after watching that. It looks fucking exhausting.
 One of the most creative riders I've ever see!!! Mad Props
 Mad respect! that was so sick!
 Good to see Chris still doing trials Smile
 He see's lines........ EVERYWHERE
 The drop through the floor! Amazing

What bike is it? Nugget?
 Is that fork Rockshox Sektor? right?
 Mcaskill is sik! But I don't get why akrigg isn't all over the tele?!!!!
 They have totally different styles. I love the whole Akrigg's approach to riding bikes, with the crazy ideas like brakeless trials for example. But to be honest his riding is probably more impressive for people who ride bikes and know how technical is the stuff his doing. Macaskill's riding seems to be really entertaining for non-biking people too.
 that is sooo sick Smile
 I was hoping that he was going to jump off the bridge on to the train and ride off but what he did was pretty epic anyway
 looks like danny macaskill has some competition
 Raddest rider ever!
 can i see this guy huck stuff on a DH bike?? cuz that would be sick!
 I FULLY love this
 Blooper reel please!
 then why'd you comment
 A danny mcAskill and Industruial Revolution taste
 What brand that bike is?
 Mongoose Nugget