Fabien Barel Leaves Mondraker

Jan 15, 2013 at 0:01
Jan 15, 2013
by Matt Wragg

“Many great things will not last forever"

After 5 great years of strong collaboration, Mondraker and Fabien Barel are going separate ways. This relationship has been based on an excellent exchange at many levels. From race team organisation, to marketing strategy passing by R&D choices, Mondraker and Fabien Barel have built a partnership during last years. Due to different priorities and to be able to both give 100% to their 2013 goals, they will be heading in different ways.

Fabien Barel

Miguel Pina, Mondraker Manager says: “Fabien has been our international ambassador during our most successful years, and he was the man not only for marketing or business reasons, but because of his strong human values. Fabien is a unique person in the bike scene, nobody is as professional, enthusiast and committed in his goals. He is the perfect combination of a top athlete and a technical engineer, which drove him in the same direction as our company and the Mondraker Family. More than that, beyond all his skills, he has the ability to manage all issues like a real gentleman. We wish him the best from today, and one more time… merci monsieur.”

Fabien Barel says: “Working with Mondraker has been a unique experience. The freedom they provided to me in R&D while racing was a great opportunity to perform and the confidence they had in my feedback gave me tons of motivation to give my best to the Mondraker brand. The forward geometry is a great proof point of it. Above the professional aspect, there was no better feeling than being proud of representing a brand when you race or when you ride. I am proud of the product and also proud of passion that I represented. The Mondraker Crew is an unusual group of people that is very complementary on many aspects. it has been outstanding for me to get to know them, a chance for me to work with them and I sincerely would like to thank this core group that has welcomed me as a full part of the Mondraker family.”

Many good things come to an end, we can surely say that it was a very successful relationship. Although the brand and Fab are going separates ways, we will remain tight for a long time.

Im leaving my GF tooooo
 OMG I didn't see that coming!
 shes banging other dudes!
 "because of his strong human values" was human really necessary or do some people think fabien is a fish?
 hes not mortal...
 ohhh noo .......................... no really who gives a fuck
 Going straight to Nukeproof....no doubt...
 This years teams are all jacked up!! haha
 there were rumors about a frenchman going to canyon (germany)....
 At first I was like "No shit... He said that a few months ag... Oh no! no wayyyyyy!!!" Big Grin

PS: I deserve Neg props that was stupid
 Think I've heard something bout TWR looking for a rider.............
 defenitely not him...
 However, this is how parting teams / riders should happen
 Anybody else watch that video of CG asking Fabien to join his team?
 havent. link me ^?
 They have been friends for so many years.... would not surprise me!
www.pinkbike.com/news/mavic-Fabien-barel-Cedric-gracia-Andorra-2012.html
 Working together- great way to kill a friendship...
 pepper8 thanks for the link. I forgot which vid it was from.
 Now that's the kind of break-up I enjoy reading about: Lots of love, no hard feelings Smile Unlike the one that's been dominating the pinkbike headlines for the last couple of weeks...
 Pretty sure he is going to Canyon. Will be awesome to see him on the same team as the likes of Joe Barnes and Fergus lamb; might be able to pass on a trick or two. Good to see he will still be riding competitively during 2013. keep it up uncle Fab!
 Read somewhere that a french legend would join the team. Had to be Nico or Fabien! Quite a team they will get!
 Fergus is still on a trek? And Joe is still MTBcut
 did anyone else read fabien's speech in his voice?
 errrr yez zat would be a me
 LEAN YO BAIKE NOT YO BOH-DEE
 I So Did That!!!
 I'm wondering how many of you have ride a Canyon to say that it sucks. Seriously. Strive is a fucking beast...
 Have been looking a lot at the Strive the past weeks and if Fabien joins them it just becomes even more tempting. The top of the line looks great and you get a lot of equipment for your money. It is just difficult finding review of the bike. Anyone read a good/thorough review?
 i've got a strive AL8, its an incredible bike dripping with top end kit for the price most manufacturers charge for just the frame. 2 previous bikes were an orange 5 AM and a santa cruz BLTc, the strive is a better climber and decender than both of them.
 Thank you b45her, great to hear that it is great both up and down the hill...
 I don't know if everyone saw Brook MacDonald's picture on Instagram with the Trek Session 9.9...So I don't think Fabien would go to TWR..Just sayin'...Don't slay me. sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/734235_463096073752490_86331409_n.jpg
 He doesn't race downhill anymore anyway and they already have Leov for enduro, so it was kinda obvious he wouldnt go to TWR..
 Fabien is a credit to our sport and super professional. Whatever direction he takes he will be successful for that I'm sure. Watch this space.
 well said mate
 good luck fabien in your future plans. One of my favourite riders for sure.
 Will this be Fabien's return to Kona? They still makes bikes, right?
 Yes they do, but you never see them, because they crack immediately after a person too involved in internet foruming sits on them.
 Is it reasonable to expect that someone could have proof read this piece before releasing it to English speaking countries? Reading this made my brain ache, and it portrays an image of a sloppy, amateur, half-baked (maybe fully baked) bicycle business. Maybe that is ok though.
 most bike businesses could really benefit from a touch of PR. take TWR for instance.
 Changes keep a coming, thats the only thing for certain Fabian is awesome hes made a big difference to all the brands he rode for, so it sill be a huge loss to Mondraker, great to see something handled so well from both sides, all class......
 ....http://www.canyon.com/.....my guess :-(
 The future for Mondraker looks "Challenging"! Seriously, is the Mondraker going to bring new blood to world cups and which bike company is going (willing) to release a bike with geometry similiar to Forward next?
 So he's on a canyon next year then...
 Why not Cedric Gracia ? In a video with Barel and Gracia, CG ask him to join the Brigade... Wink
 Because in his last video CG says in french that working with Santa Cruz is quite paradise !
 He will be riding for Canyon, it's a german brand Wink
 That's a switch, the french invading germany!
 I have mondraker team summom and thanks to Fabien and mondraker it is a great bike and will be my last DH bike , he is a one of the best riders . thanks
 Did anyone else read Fabiens words in his voice? or was it just me?

Anyone know where he will be going?
 didnt click on reply Razz
 So Emmeline Ragot has gone, and now Fabien? On top of that, rumors of MacDonald on Trek? What's going on with Mondraker?
 Love my Strive! And also have a Grand Canyon AL for sale Wink Fantastic spec for your money!
 Brooklyn bikes he is moving to new York
 omg nobody wants to ride for no one anymore!!! :p
 Maybe he didn't like the 10mm stem?
 why Canyon Fabien, why???
 And he pushed that zero-length stem tech so hard...
 Meh sounds like a European problem to me . American companies have found Fabian a bit hard to work with That's all I'm goin to say about that Excellent rider though
 Man more team shifts! Whats next???
 lalalalalalla Nexttttttt
 Hellll ya. Good luck. Dude your a champ at riding. Keep up the hard work
 cough canyon bikes cough
 Hellll ya. Good luck. Dude your a champ at riding. Keep up the hard work
 who rides mondraker anyway? TWR should pick him up
 who is going to
 Thought he was retiring?
 Mondraker is special. Canyon is unsexy as can be. But Fabien will be fast anyway.
 Why is it unsexy???
 Canyon are damn nice looking bikes
 Barel to come out of retirement. For one season and ride for trek to pull TWR out of the sh&t??