Video: Fabien Barel Presents - Riding Spruce Lake with Jeff Lenosky

Sep 5, 2013
by Zack Vestal

Here's the episode I know our friends from the USA have been waiting for! Fab finally made his annual trip to North America in July. After racing the Enduro World Series events in Colorado and later in Vancouver, he was able to carve out a few days of riding with our boy Jeff Lenosky.

Anybody who knows Jeff is aware he's one of the nicest guys on two wheels. He's also incredibly talented. Jeff has been riding mountain bikes in one form or another since the early 1990's. His career has included downhill racing, trials, cross country, and everything in between.

It's not often that these two riders get to link up, but clearly they had a great time exploring the trails around the Spruce Lake area north of Whistler. Access to these trails is only possible with assistance from a float plane. In fact, for the northern areas of Canada, travel by float plane is probably almost as regular as travel by car.

Anyway, Fab and Jeff discover that getting a drop off in the wilderness is no problem. But, if you want to get picked up and go home, you can't be late for the float plane ...

See all the pictures from the trip here.

Mavic.com

This trip was so much fun especially since I got to hang out with Fabien who is a great guy and amazing rider. I'm stoked how the video turned out, it made being out of cell phone range for a couple days totally worth it. :-)
 Nowadays people are too trapped in all kinds of electronic products. Everyone of us should have such a mind purifying trip, no matter on bikes or feet. Thumbs up for you two big guys and legends in my mind!
 Jeff, rad video I loved it!
 cool shit jeff. i still enjoy your wooded section in Progression. yes i'm talking about mtn biking.
 Jeff, wtf were you and Fab thinking??? Skidding like newbs, treating sensitive backcountry trails like a bike park, and potentially compromising access for all mountain bikers since bike access to the area is currently under review. Shame on you.

I encourage everyone who appreciates beautiful areas like this to let Jeff's and Fab's sponsors know how disappointing it is to see "pros" acting so unprofessional.
 Props hitting tree branches and making it look cool (I'm sure I look as dumb as I feel when I am off trail enough to hit branches).

Neg for the skidding.
 To be fair, these trails get more shit kicked by the horses than by bikers but your point is valid. When did skidding trails go from being considered bad form to
status quo?
 Sorry to bum you out but I'm really not "skid guy". Those trails are literally like skiing powder, super dry and constantly trampled by horses. In all those shots we aren't skidding, you can totally see our wheels turning even on that blown out berm glory shot. The questionable skid was around 3:30 since we were riding straight down the hill and couldn't stop. That place was amazing and I'd hate for anyone to think we abused the priveledge of riding there.
 that was a nice edit, jeff. had an os hans rey vibe to it.
 sweet edit and good times Smile
 Jeff, don't sweat it...if Steve Smith had done it, they would be saying how rad it was...
 To those who are barking on the skidding, when you rid the South Chilcotin mountains after about two months of dry and hot conditions the whole area is loose. My family has a cabin at Gunlake and I can tell you when I rode my trails in August, I was sliding all the time and there is literally nothing you can do about it. It's like 2 to 3 inches of pure loose dust which causes you to skid out. Also, have some respect for the horses in this area. These animals with the pioneers (eldorado mine, taylor basin mine, jewel creek mine, etc) were the first ones to make the trails in this region and all the trail maintenance is pretty much done by the horses. Jeff, I hope you enjoyed the area and scenery around Spruce lake as well as the trails. Cheers.
 ^^^^^This guy knows what up. Lenosky is the best guy I have met in the bike industry. He didn't even punch me when I told our waiter it was his birthday and they put a sombrero on him and sang. He didn't mind the free dessert tho... J-Lo, no Vegas this year for me but glad I got to run into you at Winter Park!!
 so lmoskven, you know then that this area is under review to perhaps limit access to mountain bikers. Your justification for them and others to skid will also be their reason to ban mountain bikers from this area. Say what you will about the horses and the damage they cause, they were here first and there is nothing we can do about them. Also, while this may look like a 'cutty' to mountain bikers, it looks like skidding to the other stakeholders in this area.
 Nice video, too much skidding!
 And the one at 1:53 or so? I know it's a balance between riding fast so the video looks good and minimizing trail damage, but that wasn't a berm, didn't look too dry and the rear wheel definitely wasn't turning. Granted, you can't really see the trail and maybe it's a steep run-in, but if you kept it to mach 1 instead of mach 2, I suspect you could have let the rear tire roll a little more.
 I'm glad that in Alaska we still have a lot of places to disconnect from the phone signals. That last part of Jeff playing around Fabien is the best hahaha
 I know that if we lose access to this area, this will be a significant reason why. This is what the people who are trying to shut access down lick their lips at seeing us do, let alone publishing it on the internet. You will both be very unwelcome anywhere in Whistler and most likely the whole sea 2 sky region if you guys get us kicked out
 People. Please get a hold of yourselves and grow up. If riding becomes outlawed anywhere, I'd be looking for alot more serious reasons at play than a little bit of skidding around corners.
 No, skidding up those particular trails is a legit concern. Obviously its not going to shut down trails by itself but its ammo for bike opponents. And what exactly do we gain?
 If environmental damage caused strictly by bikes is the issue, then I agree with you. I'm going to read what I can on this issue, which up until now I didnt know existed.
 Dude! Go "Smell-The-Glove" you just jizzed in!!!!! Idiot.
 Hi everybody. Just a word about steve smith and his budies´ crew riding (i don´t wanna write the word skidding) k#m freeride motorbikes in vancouver island ? What would you think of that ? (Seen in a recent red#ull video).

Btw i have nothing wrong with Mr Smith !
 Barrel should get a penalty for using air assisted lift...
 LMFAO^^^^^^^^
 hahahahahaha
 I knew someone would make that joke
 Loose trails or not, when you're in the alpine you need to ride not slide!
 Realize this will fall on a lot of deaf ears. This area is now a provincial park as of a few years ago. Mountain bike use is under review. A draft plan is in the works and there is no guarantee that mountain biking in its current form will still be permitted. The bike haters want bikes off the Gun Meadows (the trail in the video being drifted) on the grounds of erosion. You can try to justify drifting all you want but think about whether you really needed to put all that slo mo in to a video? It's almost a certainty that the bike haters will have watched the video & have forwarded it to the land managers.

Makes it that bit more tougher when I or countless others who have ridden this place for years try to argue for our right to keep riding this place. No offence to the pro-drifting/brown pow roost to make you look cool in video crowd but its probably a bit easier to defend this video if you don't have the perspective of riding beautiful places and potentially losing them
 The man speaks the truth: respect it or lose it.
 Well put leelau. Good food for thought.
 you guys bitchin about skidding must ride slow. Have you ever gone fast down a trail? its almost impossible to not skid when you come in hot. Maybe if you rode the trail everyday and knew every spot. if you go fast, you will skid...on purpose or accident. It happens.
 on mountain bike specific trails sure, giv'r. This is a mutli-use trail, not a DH Mountain bike trail and horses, hikers or other riders could be coming up those blind corners. So hopefully you're not going so fast here that you can't stop.
 but I'm pretty sure that if they go slow, there would be comments like "this is sh*t, why they are filming the two top level riders riding so slowly!".
 This area doesn't need this kind of exposure, but it won't be their problem so I guess who cares.
 This video is hard to watch. Almost as soon as they got rolling, I was cringing about all the dust flying. I rode there earlier this summer, and yeah, it's dusty, but roosting those trails sure as hell doesn't make things any better. And as leelau, Sharonb and flipfantasia said, mountain biking opponents who see this video now have a ton of ammunition for closing the area to cycling. So you'll have to excuse us Canadians for bitching about having an amazing riding destination possibly shut down ...

I get that Mavic wanted to show off their spiffy yellow wheels. Congrats, Mavic. You did a great job of that. You could have done the exact same thing at the Whistler bike park, which can handle the traffic, skidding and drifting rather than flying guys in to shred the Chilcotins.

For those of you who don't see the impact, I'll put it another way: take trails that you love, in your backyard, that are relatively new and under a lot of scrutiny. Some people aren't happy that you're riding there, and they'd like to kick you out and close the trails. That's the case everywhere. Now imagine a bunch of people showing up, shredding hard on those trails or causing conflict with other trail users or doing some other shit that the locals don't appreciate, and then posting it all over the internet. You might be kind of upset, too.

Manufacturers, PR / marketing people and riders all have a responsibility to do some research, learning about the issues in the areas they're going to, and respecting them when they're creating marketing materials for their respective employers.
 Can they skid a little more? Getting tired of all the videos showing skidded out corners. Here is a sweet trail, that they are just hammering. What happened to skidding not being cool. The world is not a bike park.
 especially since this area is currently under review for mtb use... hope the powers that be don't see this video.
 Looks like drifting/cutties to me, I doubt Fabien Barel is keen on damaging anyones trails by skidding
 Next movie title: Karate Skid
 People need to understand the difference between skidding (locking up your back wheel) and sliding (riding fast and on the limits, so you end up sliding sideways).I never skid on purpose, but I slide all the time
 So explain the difference damage wise. Is sliding less damaging than skidding. I'm not gonna lie, I really enjoyed the video but I just get confused when people say "oh no, it wasn't a skid, he was sliding. So much different, so different." Skill wise they are very different but what about the damage they cause? Why is "sliding" acceptable and skidding not? Just because one involves more skill?
 Love it! But I wonder, to get all those great shots, do these riders actually get to ride? Or are the constantly doing re-takes? Do the cameramen go out on the trail and find cool spots and film them as they ride by or what?
 A bit of all dude but not sure if the cameramen is the men to find the trail , right angle for the capture ? for sure.
 Obviously there are cameras strategically placed along the entire trail, just like every other short film on PB
 "Access to these trails is only possible with assistance from a float plane." Is so untrue. One should not use a float plane to travel through this area. I never have and never will. To do so constrains yourself to several factors. Weather, the plane won't fly in many weather conditions that have no effect on riding, start times are probably too late. You must come back through to Tyax lodge if you leave from Tyaughton lake. Or you need many cars to setup proper exit points from Slim or Relay basins or be faced with really long boring rides out. Riding 10-15 km of washboard at speed is not fun.

This is such a beautiful place to ride yet the video only showed riding above Spruce lake. Rather surprised they didn't hoof it up to a ridge to ride down. So many people seem to favor that these days.
 My thoughts exactly. Spruce Lake is a day trip for most people! This area is getting so popular now. I hope they didn't get a plane ride back down... they would have missed a few epic descents!
 Have been twice and loved it each time.

If you don't mind being in the middle of nowhere and have to 100% self-reliant regardless of injury or mechanical for potentially more than 24 hrs, don't mind being out of cellphone range no matter where you pedal, don't mind camping near freezing temps at night, don't mind seeing an impressive 600 lb grizzly sows w. cubs in tow walking into your camp smelling the food you're cooking (leave the gun at home, this is Canada), love 8+ hour single track epics with unbelievable views, are looking for pristine lakes and rivers flowing through green valleys with good fishing surrounded by the Chilcotin range, want unending single track 'away from it all', this is the place.

Bring your fitness, food, shelter, an over-flowing first aid kit, spare derailleurs, spokes, summer and winter clothing and a good map. Ideal bike is 120 - 150 mm trail or AM bike, hard or soft tail. This is the backcountry and it's amazing.
 Well said!
Just got back from a weeklong trip. No planes, self supported, hard-tail and bob trailers:
www.pinkbike.com/u/caribooyj/album/Chilcotin-Epic-2013
 skidding like a pair of ''dicks''.. not really but they should be riding more considerably in such a place. its not bike park.
 Sweet filming. Exelent edit. What I am most stoked about is the fact that there are plenty of riders watching this vid that are upset at the amount of skidding in this production!
I luv slo mo. I do not like to watch skidding, schralping in slo mo!
Please stop promoting this style of destructive riding. Smile
 Thanks Jeff and Fabian. A few more of you guys up there and nobody will be riding these beautiful trails in the future. Truly amazing trails and scenery. Please keep the skid marks in your shorts.
 Spruce and Warner Lakes area is awesome - have been up there many times.....but with the way these guys are riding (skidding out), the natural trails will soon become off limits to bikes OR destroyed due to erosion !
 It's always the same when I see "Fabien Barel" in the title:
--> click --> view --> enjoy!
 My son of 2 just watched it and said 'wow....I want to do that'
 May the force be with him.
 Stupid pros stay home and thrash your own trails for marketing glory. Skiing, drifting, cuttying, enduro turning, wtf you call it, not welcome here in Canada. F off and don't come back.
 Nice Vid! I can't believe you took a float plane in there! All the fun is in the ride in from Tyax lodge.
 That is one very good video. Fabien is such a great guy - one of the best riders and is great fun. This paired with probably one of the most beautiful places in the world...
 Zack Vestal wrote this shit? I thought you were a communications professional? How did you get the basic facts about float plane access wrong?
 I wouldn't normally say this, but I did this ride only weeks ago, our video is actually better! Great ride, SO much fun!
vimeo.com/71664942
 Thing made this film special was watched while building my Canyon up =)
 ahh...you are lucky my friend, you are building an amazing bike def.
 Made me miss my Strive. Swapped it for a DH bike but no doubt I will get a trail bike when I've got £££ again.
 You built your bike up in just over 5 minutes?!? Wink
 Skid much Fabien? Out of all the trail systems filmed....this one could have really done without skidding...seriously. 5yrs from now, nobody will be doing float plane drops here......
 Fabian looked like he was skidding all over the place whereas Jeffrey looked smooth throughout all the turns
 damn it man, they fly with plane to their trails!! I have to f*cking pedal 20 miles to reach my destination!! Big Grin that's not fair.
 Looks like they were riding "Open Heart Trail" from the east side of Sheba Ridge ! For the kids out there, wear your life jackets when boating !
 Fabien is a master, and jeff a legend! great video all the way
 So I noticed about 5-8 feet of skidding that whole video. Learn to powerslide.
 If you ride fast you skid. As for the trail getting exposed to more erosion, it's outside and it's called mountain biking. What is the point in having suspension if you never use it? Studies in Scotland have already proven that mountain biking has little to no adverse effects on the environment. Get a road bike if you want a smoother ride. That's right, I said it. Nice video. Lets keep the "mountain" in mountain biking.
 ride fast = drifting

...at least you didn't say spandex.
 That would be the ultimate trip!!! Looks like an amazing place to disappear into the wilderness.
 275 is now becoming more and more popular
 last scene was really funny!! row row row
 Jeff is on X fusion now?I thought he was a fox riding forever.
 Yes, I remembered he signed with XF earlier in the spring.
 thats what you get for movind to enduro xD
 The Mountain Bike Gods demand a high def. version!
 reeaally nice edit!!
 Fabien barel for me is the best in the enduro
 Jeff on the new TranceSX 27.5 and Fabien still on 26" lol
 Those skids did nothing to that trail, it was completly dry. Float plane, brand new cannion bikes, now I know that money can buy happynes.
 lol @ all these skidding comments. its called drifting boys