Video: Fairfax, 37 Years Of Trails Evolution

May 29, 2013 at 17:06
May 29, 2013
by UR Team

To know where you want to go, you need to know where you come from. That saying has never been more true for MTB than at the moment with all the evolutions and wheel size talk.

Follow us on Facebook http www.facebook.com HutchinsonURTeam

Being a world cup rider for Hutchinson UR is not only training and timed run, it's also discovering, or rediscovering, new trails. Mick, Holly and Fabien took their Enduro Polygon bikes and went to Fairfax, California, to ride the first ever MTB DH trail back in 1976, Repack downhill.

Follow us on Facebook http www.facebook.com HutchinsonURTeam

Follow us on Facebook http www.facebook.com HutchinsonURTeam

After that they went on the brand new "Flowy" trail, the latest evolution of the MTB trail like a giant pump track. 37 years of MTB evolution between those 2 trails and for sure we had as much fun drifting Repack than pumping the Flowy trail.

Follow us on Facebook http www.facebook.com HutchinsonURTeam

Follow us on Facebook http www.facebook.com HutchinsonURTeam

Follow us on Facebook http www.facebook.com HutchinsonURTeam

This video would be more accurate if there was a housewife in the middle of the trail yelling at you to slow down. Haha
 Ladys and gentlemen, we have ourselves a real Marin County mountain biker ^^^
 Just yesterday I saw Klunkerz Smile wondering how much faster would todays bike be on that track.

www.klunkerz.com/trailer-1.html
 @jshutts22 true that. loath those damn housewives that have nothing better to do that yell at bikers...I live in the city and bike in Marin often and it seems every time I ride i get yelled at by some group of crazy ladies.
 Actually the top time down the trail is still held by fisher at like 4:54 or something. It Was set A while ago, if you know the trail you probably know what a crazy time that is
 Hey i'm building near china camp. Our original ladder trail got torn down years ago and I am deciding to bring back freeride in Marin. Got about 800lb of logs stacked up and covered in dirt(shaping it now) Message me if you want to come help build on the booter.
 Quebrancho, slower. i have timed myself down repack on my dh bike and my klunker, the klunker is always faster. klunker has no suspension to soak up pedal strokes, and no brakes to slow you down.
 Its the FLOW trail.. not "flowy trail"...and I believe its called "Endor" now
 its fun but there are way better trails. its just cool cuz its the first legal mtb only trail build by bikers on tam. dont get me wrong, i love it but the trails i ride are faaaaaaar more fun... mostly cuz ive grown up building them Wink
 I live right near fairfax! I love to see the town on pinkbike, theres some amazing riding and people there.
 @dirtman04 I know exactly what you mean, they were right there in the Tamarancho area and didn't hit some of the best trails. Lets hope they did but just didn't film it Wink
 at 1:34 first look at polygon's new prototype
 i wanna see some sick mick pre wc training on his tetrahedral
 Maybe it got cut from the sweet edit, but I hope you picked up a broom or a water sprayer while you were there, team Hutchinson UR. That's what I did today Razz

Thanks for visiting!
 ^Dirtman04 you say there are funner trails and you may be right. However, I know for a fact the only bike you experienced the flow trail on was a banshee amp. It is far better with a trail bike as opposed to a DJ geometry. - Your Still my BFF tho.
 ^^I recently rode Endor for the first time and it was a really fun ride but like the others I felt that it could be better. I still rather ride in pacifica.
 TO EVERYONE OUT THERE: Dont bother comming out to Fairfax or anywhere else in Marin County! Unfortunately all the open space out here is run by a bunch of beurocratic idiots called MCOSD (Marin County Open Space District) and you will get a fat ticket for riding anything but the fireroads. Yes it is the stupidest thing you have ever heard but us locals dont give two f@cks about what MCOSD thinks so we ride them anyway...so just save you a trip. just go to Santa Cruz or the Lake Tahoe area because Marin County is a huge dissapointment if you want to ride good trails. So much for it being the birthplace of mountain biking...
 That's not quite true. What about Camp Tamarancho? Or China Camp? Coastal? And not to far away are Rockville, Angwin, Annadel, Oat Hill (my favourite) and other bits here and there.
 I also grew up in Fairfax and I can attest, no one should come here. In fact, I think most people (horseback riders) should probably leave. Also, surfing sucks so don't try that either, anywhere. And since you're now going to give up biking you should send me your kit so I can inspect/ dispose of it for you.
 Actually tamarancho is owned by the boy scouts of america, who are kind enough to let us ride sweet singletrack there Smile . There are actually signs there reading: "bicycles must stay on single track" how often do you see that?
 @iamamodel u are true, but tamarancho is owned by the boyscouts and chinacamp is a broken down state park...altho i do absolutely agree on annadale(in santa rosa) being so awesome!! Moral of the story is that there are soooooo many bette places in San Francisco Bay Area that are a million times better then Marin, for instance pacifiaca carelmont oakland hills etc. and they are all just a quick drive from here
 WATERDOG! SKEGGS!
 Sounds like someone wants to keep the crowds away, maybe? Just kidding. Sorry to hear the bureaucrats are keeping the scene down.
 Last time I checked, it is "government by the people" here. If you don't like what the MCOSD, MMWD, PRNS, GGNRA administrators are doing, run for office. Join all those people, pay dues, make campaign contributions, then push them out of the way. It takes years, but the time to start was 30 years ago. The first step would be for ten thousand mountain bikers to join the Sierra Club, get people on their Board of Directors, then change the policies regarding mountain bikes. Always remember the following quote: "A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it." - Max Planck . Make sure you are around when those grumpy old trail ladies take their last hike. Quit complaining. Do something.
 @APRandom - That seems like a lot of work to ride. I have my bike and my kit, I am going to hit the trails tonight. Locals know what Im talking bout...

Here is a better quote:
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead
 @iflow - Mead was right, time to get crackin'.
>Seems like a lot of work to ride...
Yes, the hiking and equestrian crowds do it, that's why mountain bikers get pushed into a corner.
I, too, used to do those Thursday Night Rides, up from Mill Valley to Mesa Station, beer and boast, wait for dark, poach a trail. Tired of going under the radar. I wrote a dozen letters to the editor, congress, contributed to local causes, etc., but it still amazes me that, with all the money in mountain biking in Marin, there are still the same problems as 30+ years ago. It's like a celebration of the culture of victimhood.
 @APRandom - "It's like a celebration of the culture of victimhood." ..... SO funny.
You are correct. Many of us accept that we are oppressed and do not have the same access to nature as others. So, bikers can accept it, fight it politically, or be a renegade and perhaps become a victim of the revolution. You grew tired of the renegade approach but have also fought the law only to realize that law won... again. With my time in Marin I think I have realized the trails are illegal to keep the bikes off during high foot traffic times. It is unstated but understood that during obviously low traffic times, which would be known by the local who has been casing the scene for some time, that we (bikers) may use the trails so long as we are careful and completely courteous of a random hiker if encountered. This means we must dismount and hike just like the hiker to equalize the situation and avoid negativity.
It is too bad that we cant just be like other areas and just communicate with each other on the trails and share the trails effectively.
 More Holly please.
 Yes more Holly Razz
 Yeah! Sick video. I'm gonna ride the flow trail tomorrow. Also, way to end a Fairfax video in Santa Cruz.
 They actually finished in PetalumaSmile
 hometown pride
 That girl is cute!
 Back off shes mine
 that sausage restaurant is the best! the flow trail is awesome and the hive is the coolest place ever, right in my home town! go Ethirteen! and that smog check guy is legit!
 The yelling smog check guy is a fucking lunatic.
 It's so not fair that you americans have these flowy, super cool trails. I never had the chance to ride something like at 3:12min.. Frown
Lovely video, great riding .. and the girl is pretty sweet Smile
 Don't be too jealous. I've ridden some great trails in Germany as well and us Europeans don't have issues with land owners and liability.

Actually of any country to ride mtb (or to live in in general) the US wouldn't exactly be high on my list.
 Its called flow trail, not flowy trail lol
 great to see how much marin county has evolved
 Ha! Good joke!!!
 uh, looks like they are definitely trying to implement change, i would say that's a good start.
 I was hanging out with them and riding with them at the flow trail. They're pretty damn fast. Reach chill people.
 They better be fast...
 Haha only Fairfax / San Anselmo riders will watch this video. Still pretty cool was not expecting that on my casual scroll through pinkbike today.
 Would have been awesome to shred with the guys on Repack! That trail is a blastSmile
 C'est bon! Merci tellement de faire ce film et d'amener tous les grands cavaliers à Fairfax. J'aime que vous des types ayez fait ceci !
 watching this made me really reminiscent of when I lived in Marin. Ahhhh. I wish that flow trail had been there when I was up there.
 I want to go back to California SO BAD! A 3 week road trip round there last year, not even riding, was not nearly enough! I think I just need to live there..
 That's my home town. Such a great place to live.
 I wish I was into mountain biking when I was stationed in Camp Pendleton, CA a few years ago. Now I am back in Dallas, TX, with absolutely NO dh to speak of
 there is DH at Pendleton?
 They made a bunch of trails on base Ive heard.
 Prob better than the sandy furnace I had to deal with at 29 palms!
 I work on Pendleton and I've spotted some trails on the hills across from the naval hospital but haven't taken my bike out there.If you have any info about trails on base I'd love to know, send me a message por favor!
 Finally a place where instead of commenting "BC is so nice I wish I live there" I am proud to say I live near here! These trails rock lets go Marin!
 So cool they got that new tamarancho flow trail in there and the whites hill fire road
 Marin County is amazing
 Yeee. Fairfax. What a cool place to be, to live, and ride. I need to get back there! Lovin' it! Smile
 I have never before thought of Pine Mt as "downhill."
 eli you dont know shit
 Whats stuck in your butt. That is part of Pine Mt above Tamarancho on the Northside...
 repack was a dh trail back in the day
 Holly Feniak I love you.
 3:25 I broke my arm on dat jump....
 How incredible! It's a very good video the girl is so cute!
 What trail was that starting at 3:11?
 That is Endor. It is the new flow trail located in Tamarancho off of B17 Extension. Super fun, super smooth. Just be sure to buy a day pass if you don't own a FOT pass. It is Boy Scouts property, and you will get a fine for trespassing if you dont buy one, $5.
 Did they redo the old trail? From where B17 came in down to the bridge was the second best part of the loop. I hope they didn't change that.
 what if you are a boyscout?
 They still kept all of that. It is right next to it. From almost the top of B17 extension to broken dam? (i never remember the names of the trails there)
 @iamamodel no, the existing loop and the part you are talking about (Broken Dam descent) are totally intact. Endor/flow trail is roughly parallel to Broken Dam. Both are fun but Endor is really rad. Downhill pumptrack with an emphasis on cornering, not jumps or high speeds. It was designed from the start to teach skills, not just be a showpiece for the already fast.
 Thanks for answering. I may not ever get to see them again, but, like polar bears, it is nice to know they still exist.
 to bad they didnt do any of the dh trails
 dh/freeride in Marin... a secret
 true true. but it would still be better if they rode some dh trails. so as not to give fairfax and marin, a bad name.
 Your right. We need pros coming to town riding illegal single track to help support the DH community here. Else, everyone is going to think were a bunch of fire road scrubs.
 The Flow Trail is fun!!
 Santa Cruz or Die
 I am talking about the town
 Nukeproof or Polygon ? Smile
 Was MTB really invented there ? or have people been riding down hills on bikes for along time before but not blowing hot air about it in a typically american fashion ?
 Mountain biking was invented by Karl von Drais in 1817 in Germany. He was the one who put a steerable front wheel on the two-wheeled "hobby horse," specifically to navigate forest paths. This was a year after "The year with no summer" which followed the eruption of Tambora volcano. Ash darkened the skies worldwide, cause crop failures, so there wasn't enough to feed the horses. Von Drais sought a mechanical replacement for the horse. The rest is history. What happened in Marin County was that mountain biking was turned into a business. I watched this happen in the Fairfax / San Anselmo area, when Gary Fisher frequently entertained groups of Japanese men in suits, convinced them to make mountain bike parts, then he set up a phone sales department to sell those parts all over the country and world. History is written by the people who make money off an invention. We should all be celebrating mountain biking's bicentennial in 2017. We have four years to get ready for the party.
 Nice one. 2013 is said to be the year without summer so who knows what'll be invented this time.
 Putting a derailleur on a "Klunker" and selling it as a Mountain Bike may have happened there, but the flow trail is really descended from this youtu.be/B1GdIdgkUIc