First Look: Polygon's New Downhill Bike

Mar 9, 2012 at 0:10
Mar 9, 2012
by Matt Wragg

Polygon Collosus Downhill Bike

Polygon isn't a huge name in the West, despite being one of the five biggest bike manufacturers in the world. If not for their sponsorship of Yannick Granieri and Sam Reynolds, it's unlikely that you'll have heard of them. That's about to change this year though, as Polygon starts bringing their range of bikes to the US, Canada and Europe.

The standout of the range has to be the Collosus downhill bike. On display in Taipei, was the entry-level version, which we were excited to see, as we feel that the market needs more options for new riders and people on a budget. Calling it the Collosus is very apt, as it's a bit of a beast. The frame looks solid as hell with big welds everywhere you look. With top-end bikes having every excess gram shaved at often great expense, it's good to see that Polygon hasn't been sucked into that competition here. If you're buying to a budget, you want to be confident that your investment is going to stand up to whatever abuse you decide to throw at it. A higher-spec version with full Shimano Saint and Fox suspension will also be available. Expect to start seeing them by the middle of this year.

Polygon Collosus DH 1.0

Polygon Collosus DH 1.0 Details:

• Eight inches of travel front and rear with a Marzocchi 888 RV fork and Fox Vanilla Evolution R shock
• Head angle 64 deg
• 531mm and 556mm top tube options
• 83mm BB shell
• 150 x 12mm rear axle
• Available with a 15.5 or 16 inch seat tube
• Adjustable geometry through tabs at the rear axle
• Ready to ride spec with 780mm bars, direct mount stem, 2.5" tyres and 200mm rotors
• MSRP €2,299

Polygon Collosus DH 1.0 head and stay

The Collosus is built burly, which is exactly what you want for an entry-level rig. Lightweight kit is great if you can afford it, but if you're on a budget, you want to know that the bike you've invested your hard-earned money in is going to last.

Polygon Collosus Downhill Bike

That's a seriously large Fox shock tucked away behind all that metal.

Polygon Collosus Downhill Bike

Out of the box the Collosus comes kitted with everything you need to go hard: big bars, a direct mount stem, 150mm x 12mm rear axle, fat tyres and 200m disc rotors. There are nice little details too, like lock-on grips which are good to see at this price-point.

Polygon Dirt Jump Bike

Polygon had their whole range of bikes on display - this is the frame that Sam Reynolds and Yannick Granieri having been going big on. Polygon will also be selling these models in the US, Canada and Europe.

Polygon AX XC Bike

Polygon's all-mountain bikes look pretty hot too.

www.polygoncycle.com

im confused by the rear shock placement...... looks like its in the perfect place to pick up all the mud and crap run off from the tires? but i gues u could cover it with a shock glove or cut a tube ant zip tie it up as a mud flap
 Production unit comes free with carbon mudguard Smile
 I still doubt the engineers at polygon overlooked that point.
 ask your above..Big Grin
 He posted while I was typing heh.
 Even though you can get a mud guard for it - the clearance between the shock and the tire is nothing
 Would have been nice to make the bearings a bit bigger, then they wouldn't need replacing so often.
 That bike looks like something The Terminator would ride!!
 Can't get any uglier saddle and post than that?
 Doubt a Dirty Dan Scwhalbe could fit that gap. Most annoying thing ever to the user which can be fixed so easily when making it in the first place
 "Just putting this out there - neg prop me if you want - I don't like it. Rear sus looks a nice set up, but the frame looks dated and over built?
The all mountain bike on the other hand looks a lot nicer... would love to see a review of that"

..... Totally in agreement - this beast is as ugly and clunky as my '06 Norco Shore One !
 the hardtail looks exstremely similar to the specialized pump track frame
 I agree, it doesnt look the greatest. BB looks real high too which then makes them have to run the guide at a ridiculous angle! Not sure whats goin on there
 the DH bike looks like a devenci and the new commencal .
 i legitly used to draw bikes for fun and this dh design looks exactly like one of mine :O this is so sick i want one rly bad
 get rid of those RANK forks on the DH bike and put some boXXers or 40's or if ur gonna put mazzoci on it put some good ones on it, on another note love the last bike it is nice
 i love the first post he has the questions and the answers as well
 A real biker gets mud on the shock no matter where its placed.
 *dribbles onto keyboard*
 if it looks like that itd better ride like a german cowgirl. haha just kidding id probably buy one it looks really good for cornering
 Samminett's right... . Uuuugly!! I know Canadian's get all crazy when anyone else hates on Marzocchi but that fork and seatpost are mucking up the shot. So is that front triangle. Looks old school like a KHS dh 100. It definitely makes the bike look dated. BUT That AM is sweeeeeeeeeeet, though.
 no offense but even turner DHR doesn't have enough clearance for mud cover.. this bike is way cheaper and comes with 'free' carbon mud guard Smile
 woop tee doo a free carbon mud guard
 Is there even room in there for a piggy back reservoir shock? Doesn't look like it. That shock pictured is a Vanilla R. No piggy back. Just curious.
 yea in the 3rd photo it is covered by the swingarm u can just see it
 Decent looking bike, but it's probably a pain in the ass trying to fiddle with the rear shock.
 Bryan, the Vanilla R does have a piggyback, actually it is even visible on the pictures.
 I did the same in class when I was bored, one of my drawings looks exactly like the giant glory. It was identical including pivot points and geometry.
 really? i usually draw the red bull rampage, you should see the back of my history jotter.....
 @TimFrances > Re: Frame looks Outdated > From this angle it doesn't look outdated at all. www.pinkbike.com/photo/7818689
 thats soo much better joe-falconi it looks soo much better with 40's than those gay as marzzochi's
 vanilla R has miss piggy man.. also the hi-spec version comes with RC4 'kashima' according to the web page. I've been following the development and waiting to ride this thing for a while (chief designer is a friend) but it's not available yet.
 hold on people, last year Polygon was on the FMB world tour with Yannick & Sam Reynolds with very impressive result... now they're having Downhill WC on the hunt.
 I'm liking the looks of their bikes... For the price point that looks to be a really killer DH bike... The HT looks a lot like a Scott Voltage to me for some reason (that's not a bad thing by any means)

the New AM bike looks SICK!!!!! I'm at this juncture of my life (almost 33 y/o) now where I don't think I'll ever really NEED a full on "Big/DH bike" but I'm thinking that a really well sorted AM/SX bike (really got my eyes on either am Enduro Evo/Comp or a Meta SX Drool ) would do everything I need it to. Glad to see most companies are taking this market segment seriously...
 AM bike looks awesome. Shame it's named after a multi-sided shape.. Bikes should be named after mountains and rock&roll and stuff!
 Any Bike from a company which is named after Pokemon is going to be weird looking.
 Well, mountains are multi-sided shape too, before it was rendered. :p
 Terrible cable routing.
 makes it impossible to tailgate
 The giant glory has the same cable routing. I've never had any problems with it.
 seems like if you hit a rock hard enough, say goodbye to your rear brake and shifting.
 A lot of slack in cables hanging off the BB. Hope that's just from rushing to have a display ready. Catching one of those on something would suck. The AM is snugged up so...
 The cable routing should run along the bottom of the top tube onto the top tubes of the rear triangle. The way it is set up now is a deal breaker. It will get damaged by rocks and roots and the tailgate of a pickup truck. Everything else about the bike is awesome!
 They look smart, wouldn't mind knowing more about the DH bike linkage and how it perfomes.
 at least they didnt just copy trek, giant, kona etc because no matter what anyone says those 3 rear suspension designs are the same to me. its nice to see something original but it isnt very attractive
 Well personally I think this bike is awesome. Any beginner DH'er will agree that it's affordable and will get them to the bottom of the hill safely and with lots of plush travel enough to put it up against some the higher grade rigs. Sometimes not always about the bike, but the rider. Wink Still an awesome bike and I can't wait to see some of them out on the trails! Cheers!
 Wow Polygon become famous Big Grin
 One thing for sure is they do hold on greatly. I've been running their 4x frame for 4 years, and they pretty much hold on to whatever I do to it. It also came in a cheap price. Fyi the high end runs deemax, fox kashima, saint groupsets, and e13 guides. They should be priced at roughly 3.5-4k usd (quick conversion)
 The difference between this suspension design and the Mondraker is that the shock is not being compressed from both sides, but compressed from one side as it is being pulled from the other side by the upper linkage, thus making it more similar to the floating suspension design of a Trek. With the rear triangle being entirely solid, there is no brake jack either. Pretty clever design. Mudguard issues aside, having the shock there makes for a low center of gravity and presumably better stability. my only concern would be how flexy the rear end is from play in the linkages. If it handles well in the corners and doesn't weigh as much as it looks it could be a nice ride. And for those who only care about the color of their bike, I am sure they will change next year.
 While I do enjoy the "row of dimes" look to the welds like the old SE racing PK rippers. The linkage design and shock compartment casting looks very smart and tasty. The shock itself is what looks to be perhaps a 9" x 3" stroke and that has been standard fare on Brooklyn machine works for many years.... and as far as a lasting entry level machine?? How much money constitutes "entry level"? Brooklyns last and no one can argue that. They may be a tad weightier than some....however..if you want to get after it year after year and not worry about failure.....that is where I would lay my cash.
 Guys, its an entry level version. Its supposed to look n feel like and entry level dh bike. Want one with cool looks and great components go for the top of the line DHX coz thats what I want.. hahaha. But the DH 2.0 has the same decals as the All Mountain picture shown above. Just browse their website and you'll know what I mean..
 www.pinkbike.com/photo/7818504
The bike seems perfect except for one deal breaker. The cable routing should go along the bottom of the top tube onto the top tubes of the rear triangle. If they made this change the bike would be complete. I don't think the gap between the wheel and shock would be a problem. The gap will increase once you are on the bike and you have 30-40% sag.
 The Downhill one looks pre' nice, and at a good price as well!
 wondering why polygon doesn't show the top spec bike for this advertisement purpose
 The way they present it in the article it looks like polygon believes there is room on the market for a cheap dh rig. They probably guessed that if you're going to drop 7000$ on a dh rig you're most likely not going to buy a polygon anyway.
 Maybe because the more affordable doesn't look any worse? And they think that more people will buy the cheaper one, than the top spec'd.
 The top model is super cheap for it's spec though. Specced like a 7k rig and selling for 4.5-5k
 7th Bullet point down on the DH's list - "Adjustable Geometry through tabs at the rear axle" ....... Does anybody understand what this is or how that would work? If they're talking about a Head Angle adjustment, Ive never seen one at the rear axle before. There doesn't seem to be a pic either. the only thing I can think of is a wheelbase adjustment...but is that really a geometry change??
 IMHO, chainstay length is part of geometry too. Maybe the effect is not that noticeable, but theoretically shorter chainstay can make the bike more suited for slow and techy trails.

Or.. for all mud clearance lover out there, you just can slam it all the way to the rear, and have a few extra mm of mud clearance. Razz
 i think they are really nice looking bikes, well spece'd and good looking. a win win in my eyes.
lets face it, a new easy access (money wise) bike is hopefully going to help put a bit of pressure on the big boys to start bringing there prices down a bit.
 Amazing how ALL the positive comments seem to be coming from the bike's parent country.. AND, pagitomy, that link to the picture can only show how muddy the ride was, u can't see shit else, let alone matguard
 ya know, i think it would be a great frame built up from the ground. i had to cover everything else with my hands, especially the hideous front end... looks janky like a kona stiky... i think a boxxer with a raceface cockpit would look good, teamed up with some red outlaw wheels would be dope
 The pic of the DH Rig doesn't do the bike any justice. The small frame and graphics make the bike look more chunky than it really is. See the image of the larger frame: www.pinkbike.com/photo/7818504
 Yesterday the crap was ankle deep,I even chocked the master of mudclearance, Voltage. This bike is fairestweather only. The BB angle weld is supposed to take shear, compression and stress at the same time - vertical seams - very bad idea. Happens altoooften with taiwanese frames. No go for me.
 That looks like in a pain in the butt to adjust the rear suspension. The DH bike looks like a devinci wilson and a evil revolt had a baby.
 No...no it doesnt. It looks like a trek.... ZING... man, I'm on a roll tonight
 That looks nothing like a trek!
 Isn't it a similar set up to the new commencals?
 Ignore my last...it's not like a commencal at all! Hahaa
 from what i gather it's a dual link single pivot set up (similar to VPP), Mondraker have a very similar linkage design and setup
 At first, I thought that this was just a fancy looking single pivot but I think you're right. It's tough to see because all the moving parts are painted black but it defintly looks as though there'e a link at the bottom pivot. VPP-ish. I'm a having a tough time figuring what that flat head, counter sunk screw does along the BB shell. I wonder if there's some sort of I- drive type link going on. Curious why there isnt more explanation of the suspension .This bike is, however , priced well. Aprox 1/2 the big boys prices.
 Just got a gander at the AM ride. Definetly looks sweet. Spec'd nice too.
 It seems to have a similar lower link like Devinci (concentric on the BB) with the addition of a floating shox and VPP'ish rear axle route.
 The left crank is hiding the bottom link details but it actually looks like its a full floating shock captured between upper and lower short links, and the swingarm is anchored to both those links at the top and bottom.
 From the one shock mount you can see, it would have to be floating between the links unless it was a pull design... which it clearly isnt!
 bryantaber, no, there isn't any kind of floating BB/I-drive system here. That flat heads are actually replaceable threads for allen screws that hold the rear part of the BB. Smile
 the flatheads are for the plate holding the bb... the bb is clamshelled between the frame and the plate allowing the whole bb to be removed without disassembly this is similar to the corsair crown design which has the same configuration of the bb shell so the whole bb is removable once the those screws and plate are removed
 Marzocchi! Drool
 rcv, yuck. now if it were a cr or a rc3...
 hahahhaha stupid kids.
 Very nice but want out that fits my sealed drive design, Polygon get in touch your have my contact details
www.pinkbike.com/video/218538
 awesome frame work, looks stunning! i really dislike the marzocchi forks and seat post though.. for me it messes up the frame.
 Incredible price. I just found last years colloosus new with a fox 40 and saint equipment for $4400. That is unreal. Why are these bikes so beautifully cheap?
 They Could be in for a price hike if these bikes catch on big in North America. just hypothetically...Maybe they are trying to keep the prices at an attractive introduction rate. If they start winning big races and grabbing more limelight, the prices may go North.
 When I look at these photo's, I think to myself... "I wish we had a better view at the blonde in the office"...
 let's be honest, if ya can only judge a bike accordin to its brand, ya are a below average.
 I don't know why everyone is saying this bike is ugly, I think it looks dope.
 Go Polygon ! as a Polygon DX 4.0 i very proud to this product ! go indonesia !
 That AM bike just made me jizz in my pants......I bet the price is going to be right too......
 Yup, crosslines, fox float/talas 36, shimano drive, On the fly seat adjust, If that's the spec and it's priced like the DH is, that's a crazy value.
 well i think it looks most like a zellers ninja turtles special addition frame. no, it looks like a polygon jeez!
 i see alot of people saaying it looks ugly, but for the price I'd happily ride one. It is for riding... not racing.
 nice frames
 those frames look really Niffty
 too bad dirt shoots straight into the shock. friggin dumb design
 Good go polygon, proud to be one of your fans
 Pretty tight lines and looks stiff. Seems like another vpp manipulation. Like the Geo and the specific size options
 take a glory and throw a Supreme at it then you get this? (Don't literally throw bikes at each other...)
 how about replacing the new 888's with the old ones and get rid of that nasty modern style?
 I'm wondering if it is flexy in the rear end at all. That linkage can be a dream or a mess
 nicely designed, big step forward for polygon! cant wait to ride these bikes.. Smile
 the bb area looks complicated. looks as if its made of 2 pieces joined together as from what i can see.
 Yes it is. A simple way to fit the bearings for the concentric lower linkage. Smile
 its not that bad... the bb is clamshelled between the frame and the plate you can see and held by allens screwed into the flatheads in the bb shell... my corsair crown has the same thing... once the four screws come out you can pull off the plate and remove the bb and crank as one piece without disassembly ... the crown pretty much has to be this way because of the dual shock config.. looks like they had to do something similar here due to the extremely low shock placement
 I'ddddd...... ride the shit out of it.........well....all of them!
 .....should have been the title of this...
 looks a bit like a astro engineering frame??????!!!!!!!!???????
 not astro anymore, that's what i heard.. but i may be wrong.
 this bb clamp................
 I think the bb clamp design does take from astro, but i believe everything else is original. Straight from Polygon's in house R&D team. Smile
 i wonder how rigid the rear triangle is on the DH rig.its not to shabby to look at.
 IMO boring color combinations, maybe it's just because the colossus is the entry level model
 I am slightly confused by the rear suspension...
 it's a floating duel link single pivot, should have a very similar feel to any VPP, or Giant's maestro or the Mondraker set up
 it's most similar to the cove shocker, only much lower link placement, it's in essence a floating shock vpp, the only difference is that the upper link is rotating in the same direction as the lower link. none of this matters though, what matters is the axle path and the leverage curve.
 Ummm... in suspension language... VPP stands for virtual pivot point... which doesn't mean the links have to counter-rotate.... only the SC/Intense VPP design does that all the time (and the yeti one half the time). All horst-linked 4bars (including all specialized FSR and Demo frames), all DW links, all maestro links, and many more "we claimed a trademarked name to sound cooler" linkage designs are all fundamentally the same thing... virtual pivot point designs. The rear axle pivots around a virtual point in space, and not around a fixed pivot point on the frame.
 phodtd, it is not a single pivot. and agree with baca262, the feel will be defined by axle path and leverage curve. Smile
 @deeegiht - yeah everything that's not a single pivot is effectively a virtual pivot point but i mentioned the link rotation because i've read somewhere that the vpp patent is defined by the counter rotating links.
 Can't wait to see these rolling into the local MEC or Sportcheck!
 that's collosus dh 1.0, budget dh bikes. the top class is collosus dhx.
 I think the linkage looks too much like specialized linkage. I also think that it will be more responsive like the new comencals
 looks like a divinci wilson, and a la pirreirr combined
 The Dh bike running a 83mm bb height, there getting low now....
 lol was thinking that, you could cut the grass as you go along XD
 Clear mistake i should hope
 Really?????? :O
 DH Reminds me of RM flatline, but more ugly
 can't wait to see theese in World Champ Series..
 Not digging how close the shock is to the rear wheel...
 gonna make for a super low COG though. there looks to be enough space for a mudguard
 Yeah, a mudguard would be a good thing there. But it looks like that it's impossible because of the movement of the rear triangle, it would hit the seat tube.

A sleeve on the shock would be the only solution?
 Look at this picture www.pinkbike.com/photo/7810713 ,captured on Australia National Series-round 4. The mudguard is working properly on muddy track.
 Carbon fibre mudguard can sit nicely in between and theres still enough clearance for tire and shock
 My bad, I haven't figured it out at first where exactly the mudguard would be. Smile
 Pagitomy...That pic IS nice!! That pic does the bike more justice than the one above.
 that must be a size small, it looks sooooo short.
 Nice looking bike, polygon has made a new improvement on design..
 It looks really tall in the headtube area and very Commencal V2 linkage
 i take the all mountain, thank you
 Ya sign me up! I want to ride all those bikes
 Loving the frame geometry and suspension linkages. Very cool looking.
 The DJ/4x bike looks pretty sweet
 That downhill bike is ugly as shit
 its entry level dude. Go for the DHX version, now thats sick. Even sicker if you see the price.. hehe
 Looks nice but small lol.
 I can't see from anywhere that it's going to be a good bike. the geometry sucks like some sort of camel..
 I doubt you'll be seeing many of these bikes on Galbraith.
 I feel like that shock is going to get so caked in mud when it's wet out.
 That is some interesting linkage. I'm wondering how it performs when braking
 Not a very attractive bike..
 the downhill frame looks a lot like a trek
 I think their DH bike looks pretty sick!
 Looks like they took a devinci dh an made it super ugly!
 Looks nice
 entry-level version DH bike, but looks awesome, just can not wait how the higher-spec version looks like.
 nice, great quality Bike