New Zealand MTB Cup Final Round / Hunua

Feb 10, 2013 at 22:34
Feb 10, 2013
by John Colthorpe

The final round of the New Zealand Downhill Mountain Bike Nationals played game to some of the worlds top international riders and was set on the super fast and explosive Hunua track in Auckland. Check out the Highlights video presented by Kingpin Bikes and the interviews from WynTV to see what went down!

090213 Bike NZ Mountain Bike Cup Series Downhill Hunua Ranges. Sam Blenkinsop races to victory in the Elite Mens. Photo Simon Watts bwp.co.nz bikeNZ
Blenkinsop, 24, hauls round the final corner in the elite mens race for a time of 2:31.61, two seconds ahead of fellow professional Brook MacDonald (Hawkes Bay) in 2:33.61. Matt Walker, brother of Olympian Olympic BMX medallist Sarah, took third place in 2:33.33.

090213 Bike NZ Mountain Bike Cup Series Downhill Hunua Ranges. Emmeline Ragot of France races to victory during the Woman s Elite race. Photo Simon Watts bwp.co.nz bikeNZ
France's Emmeline Ragot showed her class to blitz the rest of the field in a time of 2:53.34 to win the elite womens race with the UK's Jess Stone second in 2:58.31. Alanna Columb was the first New Zealander home, in third place, with a time of 3:00.59.

090213 Loic Bruni narrowly avoids going over the front. Bike NZ Mountain Bike Cup Series Downhill Hunua Ranges. . Photo Simon Watts bwp.co.nz bikeNZ
Loic Bruni narrowly avoids an over the bars experience on his path over the 60ft step down of which riders were clocking speeds at up to 75+kph over..

Wyn Masters of WynTV talks with the punters and gets the low down on the race..

090213 Kingpin Team members. Bike NZ Mountain Bike Cup Series Downhill Hunua Ranges. . Photo Simon Watts bwp.co.nz bikeNZ
KingPin Bikes team mates Connor Hamilton and Josh Mccrombie looking fresh with their Transition TR250s..

NZ MTB Cup - Hunua
Elite Mens Podium..

FULL RESULTS : NZ MTB Cup / Hunua Results

For more photos check out BW Photographys album here on Pinkbike. NZ MTB Cup - Hunua Photos

Stoked to see it. Can't believe I had to come to a Canadian website to find the DH results for this round! Crazy I tell ya!
 That crash was SOOOO fast!!!
 yeah he must of been pinned!
 He was really lucky he didnt rag doll in that crash or he would be ruined!
 its put me off getting a zerode though
 Have a closer look at the zerode none of the frame was broken but the pivot bolts fell out or snapped off easy fix.
 yeah it was me crashing and the frame is fine. only weak bolts, easy fix
 Nothing faulty with the frame or poor design. Just poor maintenance and over tightening of bolts.
This can and does happen to any bolt which is over tightened repeatedly. I replace all the bolts on my bike (Turner DHR) annually. It costs about $20. The real key though is using a torque wrench and correct torque settings.
 I put the crash up in full, just because it's so rowdy.. www.pinkbike.com/video/298445
 Yeah Lapierre team on Sram components this year and Blenkys wearing spd. Big respect for Brook and Hill theyre still riding flats and killing it but If blenky takes some top results overseas this year I won't be surprise to see everyone "clip in" in 2014. It looks like Downhill becoming more and more professional with every year.
 Royal need a new jerseys for Brook, otherwise it looks like Gwin's old shirt
 After living in Australia for a year now, it sounds so weird to hear people talking with a New Zealand accent haha... Awesome riding. Love watching downhill biking videos and competition highlight videos.
Did that guy that came off break his chainstay? Unlucky...
They do some serious speed though. 75 kilometres an hour is bloody quick!! Fastest I've ever been was just under 55 ks and hour. That was on my Giant Reign down a moderately steep hill. I have a bike computer so I'm not just guessing but the pros (and die-hard 'for funners') can still go quicker than me haha. Blows me away really, how these guys can get so quick on the trails.
 "Transition TR250s." - wrong.
"Transition TR450s." - correct.

Change it maybe. Smile
 That track looked so fast.. and kiwi riders are killing it these days. Cant wait for the world cup rounds and some nz riding on my next trip home
 good to see n.z on the homepage a sick riding
 Yeah. That's bloody amazing haha. Originally from NZ, I'm proud to see that New Zealand features on the homepage of PinkBike!
 flying Kiwi
 75 kph?? is that legit?
 Yes.. Some dude brought a radar gun believe it or not.
 thats crazy shit... id be lucky to get to 50kph fully pinned hahahaha
 it was legit, it was too legit, it was too legit to quit, but now its not legit, its unlegit, and for that reason, it must quit
 Watching these videos seriously makes me depressed... I want to ride/race so bad, come on summer!!!!
 did you see that huck at 2:22
 As it was hard to see, here is a pic of the broken bike in the film!

www.pinkbike.com/photo/9200679
 You sure you would have been riding fast enough to make the cut for this video?
 Such a lucky escape at 2:50, could have been so bad haha
 For a snapped rear stay, that went SO well, lol.
 that's such a sinking feeling when you're too nose heavy! He broke his rear chainstay on that save?
 Snapped the bolts that join the chain stay and seat stay together. Luckily the rider wasn't injured too badly. That was pretty quick. Looked like a good 50 or 60 ks (30 or 40 mph)
 blenki's still got it
 2.50 -2.53 The best partSmile
 Blenki on boxxers ?
 I would have been in this... IF I HAD A BIKE!
 Did you get your bike stolen ?
 Nah, still waiting for it to arrive, 4 months of "It'll be here next month..."
 whats bike have you got ordered?