Old School Throwback: Transcontinental - Headliners 2

Jun 16, 2013 at 0:05
Jun 16, 2013
by Jason Chamberlain

This is the follow up to Headliners with more World Cup race footage from around the world. It features many riders who are still going strong today (Peat, Lopes, Voreis) as well as vintage footage of Nicolas Vouilloz racking up wins on his way to the still unmatched 10 World Championships.

From the archives of Cinema Gravity,

Aww back in the good old days when the uci hadent baned Everything
 There's No School Like The Old School !
 it was also the period when the world cup series was a series where they raced all over the world and had 8 rounds plus the world championships.
 back in the good old days when there was no such thing as child prodigies
 6:26 look at that glorious thing!
 Aww back in the good days when the marketing and UCI had the second row
 7:34 Lol, even people back then were laughing at smart cars!
 Best. MTB. Vid. Ever.
 I'm not sure if ego's have chilled out, maybe now the racers are more worried about how they come across in vids so they all just say the same boring stuff... 'have fun, be smooth... Blah blah blah'
 Great point. I miss the punk attitude and colorful personalities of the "good ol' days".
 courses seem narrower and gnarlier back then. Seems to be more grooming for safety now. And courses wide enough for wide bars that would have clipped the trees back in the day.
 I just watched the whole thing. Was really looking forward to more footage of Shaun Palmer. Regardless, awesome video. I hope they bring back a few World Cups to USA so I can afford to race at a professional level someday
 None of the euro's could touch Palmer at bear. Didn't you see his victory suit? That alone is worth watching the whole movie for. Bring WC back to the dust and silt!
 As Tupac used to say, wouldn't be here today if the old school hadn't paved the way
 It's funny that I managed to watch that all the way through without a glitch, yet watching today's race on that crappy Red Bull player was a nightmare.
 greatest bike movie of all time. hands down.
 Headliners 1 was dope too, but yes transcontinental was on another level, at the time.
 love it look at the speeds they rode at with only 5 to 6 " of travel and some designs still had Magura rim brakes on the rears .
 There's No School Like The Old School
 Simply epic... Thank you OB for throwing up all these old-school movies.
 whoops... thanks champagne!!!
 6:28! that camera!
 lol I saw that too... Kirt musta had a sore neck after that day.

The weight alone compared to todays go-pro/contour/CF helmet combos is insane. I remember a friend duct-taping a camcorder to his helmet for a Ski/snowboarding movie back in 99 or so and it was almost impossible to get in a ful run and a good shot it was so heavy and awkward.
 Cedric No Footer at Mariboor for the ultimate WIN!!!!!!! So badass.
 I'm still waiting for someone to backflip during a race run lol I wonder if CG would be up for it?
 Hell yeah, I can see him doing it. He could give the DVO guys great feedback like "well, when you under rotate on the back-flip and nose in at 40mph the fork feels like the rebounds a LITTLE fast..." lol

Seriously though, I think if anyone would do it, it'd be CG. Don't think there's ever been a more badass person in the history of Mtn. Biking. Lots of great people/riders obviously, like Kirt V and Mark Weir for example, but CG is just such a character and such a stylish rider (watch his "CG @ Fort Bill" vid if you haven't.. He comes off one little whoop at the top and manuals down the next 200yds of track like it was nothing). I never get tired of seeing him in vids and I'd kill to have a beer with the guy. Him and Peatey look like awesome guy to get on the piss with.
 "If I do good, I celebrate. If I do bad, then I drown my sorrows. Either way, it's cool."

Peaty is the king.
 TOYOTA sponsors? What happened to automakers sponsoring riders. Didn't Volvo sponsor too?
 Headliners 1 was sick too! "The snake can only strike half the length of its body" - cully
 " I've been watching national geographic, I got this"
 Ego's seem to have chilled out with today's riders....
 Cuz they are all getting paid a ton compared to these guys, who were rising just as fast, on a shorty bike with spring and oil suspension, no damping. If you didn't have an ego you weren't going to be racing at that level. The fact that DH used to race on Saturdays and that it got moved to Sunday, because the town and XC riders couldn't handle the whole DH gang partying on Saturday nights with nothing to do in Sunday!
 There will always be "Palmers" in the world, luckily we don;t have one in the ranks at the moment but I wonder if we'll see another pissy little premadonna here over the next few years. I can;t tell you who it'd be cause as was said, they sure do seem a lot more "chill" thee days. The money thing certainly has a lot to do with it, but they also didn't have the internet that we do now with a million people watching you the instant the vid is shot and analyzing/critiquing their actions like we do today. These guys were hardly thinking of big money and the "professionalism" that big time sponsorship brings to the table. They were just out having fun doing something 99% of the world either didn't know existed or thought was too crazy/stupid TO exist. These guys were young pioneers for sure and they were having fun and not caring about their "images". Guys like Palmer were annoying and I don;t miss his attitude, but he was fun to watch ride/race (esp. if he lost... he'd literally throw shit and act like a baby). He was young and he had it made, some cockiness was to be expected when you were literally forming a major part of the sports history.
 true. With sponsorship, comes responsibility and accountability. Makes sense.
 Ps: Still waiting for Alex Rankin or someone to upload Sprung 3 and 4. Brilliant world cup sections in them also
 Sprung 3 has been online for a while!
 CG spotted at 6:48??
 I think you're right
 CG is all over this movie
 "I like grass, the dust is so difficult for me"
 nothing like a good chrome troylee visor on those days!
 They were riding pretty good back then eh?
 Those cannondale moto forks are always amusing! Double lefties!
 what year was this?
 People had more fun riding back in those days
 what he said
 Today was a good day. Alps, warm, grip. One run felt really right. Today was a good day.