Roc D'Azur 2012: Diamondback

Oct 13, 2012
by Matt Wragg

Quietly lurking at the back of the hall, the Diamondback crew had a few gems tucked away on their stand...

Diamondback prototype slopestyle bike
  This is their prototype 4-Cross slopestyle bike (yeah, the name confused us too). It's short at the front and back to make it flickable, fun bike.

Diamondback prototype slopestyle bike details 2
Diamondback prototype slopestyle bike details 1
  It's built burly though, look at all the bracing out back and a 142x12 rear axle will help keep things in place. The suspension is Diamondback's Knucklebox system that they use throughout their mid and shorter-travel bikes. They weren't giving away many more details at this stage...

Diamiondback DB8 details 2
Diamiondback DB8
Diamiondback DB8 details 1
  This is one of the first production version of the DB8 downhill frame, don't expect to see a lot of them though as numbers will be strictly limited. In the UK there will be just 15 of these in circulation, and not a huge number more over in the States. It's got a full 200mm of travel out back and RRP is around 3,000 Euros (with shock, seatpost, rear hub and spare hanger). They are built to last too, with some great details like bearings instead of bushings in the linkage and integrated bumpstops behind the headtube. The pivot is higher and further back than you find on most bikes, so we are intrigued to see what this means out on the trail.

Diamondback Axis 650
  Diamondback aren't missing out on the 650B bus, although they are staying fairly restrained, with just this Axis hardtail for the time being.

www.diamondback.com

That DB8 looks awfully similar to a transition tr450/250 frame
 Is that a bad thing though?
 The linkage is completely different though, almost like a morewood
 How different can a frame look? Soooooo many frames look similar. But they all feel completely different and do not have the same geometry.
 old commencal with a bigger swingarm kinda
 Reminds me a lot more of a more wood than a transition.
 Even very similar to the old Tomac Primer 220, I want to try it!
 i like turtles.
 looks like a diamondback to me.
 The pivot is higher and further back. Better bump and pedal, worse brake jack?
 isnt 3000 euros equivalent to abut 3800? thats alot for a non carbonf rame
 Looks similar yes but they charging a lot , especially as it's their first dh bike. 3k ? Really ? Seems a little overpriced for something that's not world cup proven or even been raced a lot from what I've seen. I'm sure they put a lot of work into it but if they are trying to break into the DH scene , I don't think 3k for frame , shock , rear hub and spare hanger is the way to go with all the other companies are offering.

Just my 2 cents.

But I could be very wrong and it could be a great bike and a contender on how it rides. Just have to wait and see.
 The market will tell all.
 It reminds me of a young gregory peck
 @ nico that looks like a treck?
 @Sinipoli: sorry but NO, it doesnt look nything like the TR2/450... I'd say it looks more like the new replaced Nukeproof Scalp, but not realy the Transition (the linkage is COMPLETELY different in it's placement). Except for he fact that it's single pivot and linkage driven.. In that case there are about 20 more bikes ""it looks just like"... th main triangle looks to me like the previous Norco's, ike the last Gen Sore and Team DH.
 pretty sure i saw somebody riding one of these at the english champs this weekend...
 linkage itself looks like Lappierre tho ... Big Grin
 Its not their first dh bike lol
 @zakfreeridefreek : Yeah some folks are not old enough to remember that though aye Wink
 That DB8 (debate?) looks rad. If it's going to look like anything, it's vaguely similar to the (awesome) Ventana Cuervo.
 I know. But the Sabbath isn't that old. wasn't that bad either
 just a little over-complicated
 looks like a kona
 @ Lawrence: HA! Good one!
 @Lawrence: HAHAHAHAHA You know it HAD to be said or it wouldn't be a coment section on PB aye...
 hahaha you know someone was gunna say it
 That 4x/ slopestyle bike is looking mighty fine.
 "great details like bearings instead of bushings in the linkage" I thought this came with every bike?
 that bike looks like a bike.
 3k euros for a bike no one's ridden yet? are you f*cking kidding me? they look nice but you can't charge more than other reputable companies are charging for complete bike (speshy status etc) for a frame when there are so many better options out there. i really was looking forward to their DH/FR type bikes but that is a slap in the f*cking face. c'mon guys. that's just a tiny bit less than the demo 8 carbon with a CCDB. guess diamondback's gonna crash and burn once again.
 Yeah that's a little wierd aye... Compete bike??? Maybe, but 3K for the frame alone??? HUH??? Looks to be one awesome rig but... I know DB makes a great product, but they're not exactly a big player in the market segment (unfortunate cause I think their bikes are really awesome, just generaly underrated by the buying public) so charging that high a price is just gonna keep puching buyers away, furthering the problem they already have of getting people to try their bikes... If they made a 5-6" travel version of the 4X/Dreamliner (I want it''s standover clearence and short rear-end) with a nice slack HA I'd buy one in a second.... if it were priced competetivly.
 Sort of looks like the Commencal Meta 4X and the Commencal Supreme just more curved but I really like their downhill looks sick Smile
 Exactly what I thought- Meta4x was my favourite bike until I snapped it and bought the Absolut SX. It's half way between the 4X and the Supreme and I absolutely love it. The DB looks different though because it looks like you could run it single speed which you couldn't on the old meta. Nice.
 The Absolut SX rocks. Ours is single speed. DB Dh seems functionally identical to my Supreme racing. If DB did not screw up this will make a supersmooth rear. As good as the longer travel Intense 951 and almost as fast but no chainclash.
 That knucklehead box is a tough sell for alot of riders. Diamondback needs to get back in the game. Limited number of frames and huge price tag mean they really not too sure about future of DB.
 most defenetly an old commen├žal but less compact more space in the rear shock area and a bit more curvy lines in the front triangle, so it should handle nice the trail and the parks nice machine, do.
 Axis looks tight. I'd like some specs. Look like fairly short stays for a 650b with a beefy fork (Lyrik?). I'd like a slack ht with 650 wheels. Seems like a good time on the FR trails.
 Commiback dh8 springs to mind, i know there allowed to copy but there AM-bike a few months ago is a complete cut,n,paste of the Commi super4 ( but 2" of extra travel added ) now the linkage setup and overall look of this bike mirror the Commi V2 ( i know the swing mounts external of the frame instead of inside it ) I HOPE THEIR FRAMES ARE CHEAPER THAN COMMENCALS BECAUSE THE ONLY R&D COSTS WENT TO LAWYERS MAKING SURE IT WAS JUST DIFFERENT ENOUGH. I'm not a Commi fan in any way but hate the new DiamondBack 'that will do mentality'
 You can actually buy the DH2 Supreme frame for less than half, so might as well get the original. Or get the DHV3 complete for $3.5K..
www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=78883
Good luck Diamond Back. Lol.
 Thanks for the llink, I didn't realize Diamonback were actualy releasing ore info on it aye... Looks like SUCH a fun little ripper and I'm guessing it'll be fun for far more then just SS/DJ riding... I can see one fo these being a SUPER fun park and or AM/Enduro bikes too.
 looks like a mix of the was-to-be dominion and a transition.. and... whatever who cares if its not infringing on any patents.. its sexy as hell, good job DB- welcome back!
 DB8 frame looks like a TR450
 DB8 is looking hawwwtt
 why will the db8 come with a rear hub?
 They probably meant rear axle.
 DB actually includes hubs with their framesets for some reason.
 How is the new 4X/SS frame different than the Dreamliner frame?
 I could be totaly wrong, but I believe this IS the production version of the Dreamliner??? Right??? It's a different color scheme but it's dam near identical.
 I have seen the Dreamliner for sale as a frameset already though.
 Interesting... I had just seen the whole "This is what we MIGHT build thing" like a year or two ago, lovd it then but forgot about it untill I saw this. THe frames look nearly identical though so maybe they just gave it a lamer name ??? I just wnt them to make a bike with these dimensions (short CS's and a super low standover height) in like a 5.5-6" travel rig (dont care for their current bike in theis category cause of he standover issue) but otherwise I'd LOVE to rip one of these weather it's called the DREAMLINER or the "4-cross SS"... ooks like SUCH a fn rig aye.
 cool looking DH frame i,d love to ride one of those , very clean looking build as well quality fabrication and design
 The DB8 looks like a Labyrinth Minotour with a slightly higher rear shock
 loving the DB8s color
 The downhill looks so raaw
 The DH8 looks like a nice slice of brie......or maybe chedder?
 Why did they call a slope style bike 4 cross??
 I'm fairy sure they are just using old commencal linkages that have been tweaked slightly. I'm not saying its a bad thing.
 Look more closely. That is not the case.
 I'm sure there are a lot of differences but initially they look a lot like the old commencals. The old commencals looked sick though and these look even better Smile
 Maybe I'm just too old for thes crowd, but have a look back in Giants DH line... THe Commencal looks like the old Giant Team DH (including the rediculously tall standover height/TT. IF ya want to take it evn farther they ALL kinda look like the ROcky RM (akak, to ME one of the ugiest bikes ever) Personaly I don't think they look anywthing a like, and while I think the new Commy' V3 is one of the sexiest bikes on the market, the new DB8 looks like it was realy designed for a DH rider (aalthgough I new remember Giant finnaly did the same thing with their TT so..). The swooped TT can be something you never know you'd need (as a guy Wink ) but come that wfull time...when you get your feet down before your nuts stop you, you wil appreciate that swoop....
 the first bike links look weak
 No it looks like the Scott gambler and you can hardly call that weak
 the gambler is a diff set up.. just dont like the look.
 haha sorry i didnt see it was a triangle, kinda hidden ex. my comment