Stacy Glaser gets RED - Video

Feb 24, 2012
by Tyler Maine

Most people know me as a custom painter, but long before I ever picked up an airbrush I was riding bikes. When the North Shore trails had no snow by mid-December, I took the opportunity to get some footage of one of my favorite trails in prime conditions. I had previously discussed doing some filming with my friend Scot Proudfoot and when I called him up he said he had access to one of the brand new, elusive, RED 'EPIC' cameras. The pressure was now on me to get the trail as well as my bike ready to shoot and would lead to a complete overhaul of both.

My bike needed work, so I completely disassembled it, cleaned everything, and started rebuilding. I had just received my new Hayes Prime Pro disc brakes and was curious to see how they stood up against my previous 4 piston brakes. The brakes needed to be good, so I didn't spear off the trail- and into a camera worth as much as a Mercedes.

The day before the shoot I headed up to the trail by myself to scope it out. What I thought would be a simple rake through turned into a complete 8 hour rebuild, essentially landscaping the whole trail. I cleared leaves off specific parts of the track to increase speed and traction while leaving leaves where I wanted to increase drifting. This rebuild would be essential to our shoots' success. With only a single day to film with the RED camera, having each shot planned and prepared ahead of time allowed us to hike to the top of the trail and film sections as we made our way back down. Working on each segment the day before gave me useful trail knowledge and additional information on the lighting throughout the day, showing I only had usable light from about 11am-4pm.

The camera men were as tired as I was after hiking up and down sections of the trail all day. The RED 'EPIC' camera was a surprisingly small unit, with a surprisingly big lens and sizable equipment bags. I could tell the crew were happy to be in the woods rather than on a typical film set. In the end I think we got some great footage with exceptionally high detail and quality for a 2-minute web edit.

My bike ran flawlessly all day with the Hayes Prime brakes providing big power and great feel. I was a bit skeptical at first moving from a proven 4-piston brake to the two-piston stoppers, but on a trail this deceptively hard on brakes they totally held their own. My bike was running on rails in the slippery Fall conditions with Santa Cruz's Driver 8 VPP linkage running on full Manitou suspension. This setup provides ample traction and an almost telepathic response feel. Big thanks to Hayes, Manitou, Answer, Pinkbike.com and Straitline Components for their support, Scot Proudfoot and Shaun Lawless for filming and providing the awesome camera equipment.
-Stacy Glaser, Painthouse Customs

Scot and Shawn with the RED EPIC

Shooting action with that camera was such a delight. We just rolled 4k resolution and 120 frames per second on most of the earlier shots, it gives you so many options to manipulate the footage in post. It's always the challenge on the shore to get enough light into the trees to shoot, but even as the light faded we were able to boost the ISO enough to get good useable images in conditions that I would of expected to be too dark.
-Scot Proudfoot

He rips on a bike and will make your helmet a lot sexier, so check him out at painthousecustoms.blogspot.com

good riding good filming and my gosh good song. i was glad to hit play and not hear WUB WWUB WUBAA WUBBA WAAA WAAA (don't get me wrong i like electro and dubstep and stuff but not the cheese grated shit you get in all these riding videos)
 Hooray!...nothing I like better than an onamatapaeic representation of dubstep...fun vid, great nimble riding...
 Great song choice, solid riding. Seems like edit needed more time in post color correction (white balance seemed off....unless this was intentional.) In low light shooting wide open.....you need to be able to manually pull focus accurately on fast moving subjects, which is an art all it's own. Don't think it was a quality issue shooting 4K. IMHO, best clip was at 1:16, shooting straight into the sun.
 anyone else really want to try a dorado?
 not the quality i woulld expect
 Agree, I recently directed a shoot with RED Epic - it's nowhere near sharp enough however this is very likely the encoding or a workflow issue, i'd be interested to know what lenses you used, was this shot with primes? Regardless of quality the riding is top notch.
 Same, RED can shoot cinema quality video so I was expecting a mind blower here, but I think thats due to the natural low light he mentioned. Post production and uploading could have taken the quality down too.
 Kinda disappointed too... First I read the article, got excited about the camera and then, a pretty much average quality video.
 Hmmm... I'm guessing those guys haven't had much experience with the RED, or maybe RED post production... whatever the edit was still tight and the music, finally, wasn't just dubstep crap! nice choice.
 I think that the loss of image quality depends largely on the uploading compression
 Maybe they should have uploaded it to Vimeo.
 Multiple factors it seems! Here's an edit that a couple buddies of mine (hennie and eheath) got to shoot with a carston oliver (slayyys it on skis) down south using a RED... shows the potential this camera has vimeo.com/36093129 but they did have way better light, more time and hennie has a more than just a day experience using one Wink
 Yeah its something with the compression. Try viewing it on Vimeo i think its slightly higher res, vimeo.com/37161773.
 The rider still doesn't look sharp I don't think. Not that up to speed with my video but looks like the shutter speed was too slow.
 Its amazing how used to over-sharpened black-crushed Canon footage we all are... Heck, the native 5D/7D looks great out of the camera... if you nail the exposure. This has a lot more dynamic range, color information and is much more forgiving of exposure/lighting conditions. However, it captures so much more image data that it comes out looking grey and washed out if proper gamma and LUTs are not applied. Ever looked at a negative? Very little contrast and saturation. It needs to be "printed" to look good. Same with Reds, alexas, and any digi cinema. Canon goes for the Kodachrome look, red goes for negative. Big difference in what you need to do in post, and this looks like it really needs some gamma tweaking... and a general bump up in brightness. Slo-mo is buttery smooth though, which is nice to see something that isn't 15fps.
 Canon footage isn't over-sharpened, it just actually sharp, it looks damn good and so do good RED videos. The slo-mo is smooth, but it looks like the rider is blurry in this the whole time. And yeah needs some more post in terms of colour/contrast but thats not my gripe, its the blurry rider.
 the upload compression will have merked the quality but the colours looked awesome. i'm sure if you were to take this to the local 50 ft cinema screen it would look even better. you can't get that from a 5d mk2!! the price tag for those red epics is litteraly insane though .
 go watch the recently released act of valour and you might have 2nd thoughts...
 Looks like it is a focus issue for sure. I am a colorist working with Autodesk Lustre. I see a tonne of red Footage and a lot of it is out of focus. If they truly did shoot 4K R3D data, then they were most likely monitoring this via a Video SDI monitor - which is softer and more forgiving regarding quality and especially focus. Then you take the 4K data and transcode it to whatever format you need (.dpx or Quicktime for example). What you were monitoring is nothing like what the 4K will show you as it has so much detail and is easy to be out of focus 1 or 2%. So the focus issue added together with the web compression - RED looks soft.
Happens all the time... "But i swear i was in focus"!!!???!!! Until you look at the RAW data you captured. Out of focus.

The ARRI Alexa is the best camera IMO!! Blows the Red Epic and scarlett away! RED is way too grainy by default. The only cool thing about RED is their Oakley 3D Stereoscopic glasses. they are cool and I wear them to every movie. Real-D compatible.

Now get on yer bikes and ride!!
 Would have to agree with you here kocchdog, my last two shoots recently have been with an Alexa and the native colour rendition is stunning. Aids your workflow too as it records onto 422 ready for FCP straight out of the cards - crazy!

I actually quite liked this footage, the colours were good and i guess you can forgive the guys if some of the shots are a bit soft, shooting mountain biking on 4k and expecting sharpness throughout is a big ask. Different story if you're on set using primes - no excuses for softness Wink
 I would love to see an mtb film shot on the ALEXA, I worked as a 2nd AC with one a few months ago and the footage after running it through color was mind blowing. IMO the only digital cinema camera out there with near film quality. Fell in love with that thing.
 Considering this was shot in 5 hours, using an Epic which these guys may not have been too experienced in using, I think this is a pretty decent job. True, there's a bit more grain than I've previously seen from Epic (either 4K and 5K), and the focus is a little off/soft in parts (probably due to low res monitoring, as mentioned above), but overall I think it's pretty good. As other peeps have said, would like to know what lenses were used and what colour space this was shot/edited/graded in as I think the milky tones in parts could be down to poor setup of the log colour space or poor transcoding. That said, some of the deeper woods shots had some great colours, so a bit confusing really. Have shot a bit of Alexa - sadly not bikes - it does look amazing, but again, this was in a tightly controlled environment...not the side of a hill, battling available light.
 I think Pinkbike is just a soo good promotion for these People.. Good Video Cool Guy so Everything is fine!
 Stacy is a maestro with the airbrush and does the wicked paintjobs!
 I have to say for the write up this was average . Great riding . But the red epic can deliver some amAzing results. I've operated on a lot of RED ONE shoots that could have looked average but had a Very Talented DOP that could piece together amazing shots and lighting. The shots in this vid didn't push the camera at all. Could have been a 5d shoot.
 He's gonna loose that back wheel pretty soon, its all over the house! Awesome edit, loving the loam.
 Would be so sick to shoot with a RED or PHANTOM HD.
 i no this is jose gonzales singing but would someone please give me the song title? thanks.
 so far away... got it
 I reaaly enjoyed this videos. Now I need the guts to start practising!
 red dead redemption soundtrack Big Grin
 now if I had an extra 30k just layin' round' Id get me one of them "red epics"
 Stace Dog! Huge props. The video looks amazing!
 yeeaaaa! absolutely shredding Stacy!
 Good work Stacey you might just be getting good enough to be in our edits this summer lol killer riding
 great vid, awesome soundtrack!
 nice toe drag at 2 min looked like it mite take his shoe off Smile
 Great Video....hope to see you on the trails soon Mr. Proudfoot!
 Handles panning amazingly
 help again. does anyone no who the remix is by cheers craig
 RED fever...every thing in slo-mo
 Hey I won gold bar end caps from this guy XD
 that was a sweet trail what one is that?
 I want that bike