Winterviews - Brett Tippie

Feb 21, 2012
by Julian Coffey

winterviews
TIPPIE

Sometimes you need to take a minute and just appreciate what you got goin' on, and few have more zest for life and love than BC's own Brett Tippie. One of the rare people who are equally legendary in both their own mind, and in the hearts and minds of many, Tip is the true embodiment of the original freerider. Ryan Claw catches up with one of the founding fathers of shred during his 'off season'.

Shredding
Fresh powder yet again with the trusty Niterider lights.
Nightriding steep slippery rocks with the Niterider 3000 lights

It was some opening weekend for winter at a mountain and on the T.v. a new broadcaster said "and we got a really stoooked person here".... thought to myself it couldnt be.... but it was. Long story short saw you on the news Tippie.
 DEEP COVE PARK.....SNAP
 It's weird to see tippie BEING interveiwed!
 tippie commentated one of the snowboard comps in vancouver. best commentator ever.
 Tippie = The Man. Ryan as an interviewer = needs some work. Something about the tone of his questioning about Brett's "crash", just seemed.... a little insensitive. Maybe it's just me.
 I noticed the same thing, it's not just you. Tip obviously feels self conscious about what had to be a really rough time in his life. I'm old as hell but I'd also doff the shades while chatting with a friend.
 Noted on the sun glasses. Oversight on my part, but to ensure everyone is clear there was absolutely zero disrespect intended which included the tone of questions. We approached Brett to do this Winterview because his story is inspirational and Brett lives for inspiring others. I have the utmost respect for him and consider him a friend which is why we wanted to touch on his path to celebrate a great personality we’re lucky to have in the industry.

My job as an interviewer is to state facts with minimal opinion. We didn’t hit Brett with the tough question without having an in depth chat about the content first. This was a great opportunity for Brett to finally touch on a topic that continues to surface and move on focusing on a positive past and a bright future.

The one positive with an open forum is that you guys keep us honest and I think Brett will be flattered that he has so many people watching his back.

Ryan
 Pretty nice response. Much appreciated.
 Definitely never suspected any disrespect on your part Ryan. What I was actually suspecting was that any perceived tone was maybe more nervousness in front of a camera and/or lack of experience conducting interviews. Don't get me wrong though, I don't blame you. I certainly wouldn't do any better in front of the camera. Yikes! :0

But thanks for putting out that interview anyways. That's the kind of content I'd like to see more of on pinkbike Smile
 Ryan tries to be way too epic. This isnt reality television. It's a interview with a close friend. Tippies rad. Sorry Ryan Claw can't interview.
 Ryan shreds hard, and he builds epic trails/stunts. Nuff said. Keep it up bro!!!!!
 Good interview good riding.
 IMO Brett Tippie embodies the meaning of riding, even though the fell off the wagon 10 years ago, he's back and contributing more than ever to the scene. Haters have no reason to hate on Tippie. He's rad and thats enough said.
 Tippie is an inspiration! When you fall down, you pick yourself back up. Love the guy. First time I met him was at Joyride last year, he's sucha riot Big Grin he was wearing a rocky mountain jersey, a black wig, blue shorts, haha see for yourself at 2:40 of my video bit.ly/yHaSuL
 you should put that on pink bike so I can fav it!
 Sweet, Great edit!
 Thats what I love about our sport, there is alot of riders out there that are so talented but just dont have that drive to take it to the next level, and there is nothing wrong with that, it`s all about having fun and enjoying what ever level you are at. Tippie is a great example, shredded hard, partied hard, had a family, got back into the mt bike world, sounds like a pretty good life story to me
 As real as it gets right here. Great spot showcasing one of the sports living legends. His zest for life and riding is a true inspiration. And the night riding segment was short but sweet. Wish there was more....so awesome. Way to go Brett, you rock!
 Tippie IS the man! I said hi to him at Whis last year and he's all "What's up brother!?" We have never met and he doesn't know me from Adam but his greeting was warm and genuine. True dude.
 I second that!!! went over and said hi to him after Crankworks and he was totally stoked to shoot the breeze with ya :->
 Right arm! Tippies the man, stackin' up the JPM's, jokes per minute
 wow this could be a great series pinkbike i really enjoyed it i would love to see more interviews with the fathers of free ride and their views on riding today and what they have been up to its a great concept and i would watch it for sure.
 Brett is great ambassador to the sport and a gentlemen. The interviewer may want to work on his line of questioning and get rid of the sunglasses - despite what the intention may be it comes across as arrogant and unprofessional.
 sick interview and clip Tippie bro, legend. Is that Trespasser in the wet @ night (still at bottom)?? f*cken props if it is... Either that or Hangman... Nice shot either way. Gnaaaarrrrrrrrrr
 The greatest shame of this interview is it doesn't truly capture Brett's natural persona and charisma. Beyond his skill, Brett has that intangible thing, presence. He walks into a room and can utterly transform it with his energy, and can make every person in that room feel like they're his best friend while they laugh. And he does all of this and his amazing riding with no hubris.
 Nice to see an article on Tippie, as always, because he has and still does bring so much to the sport on all levels. HOwever, I do think it is time to drop the his past as 1) that is getting old and a long time ago and 2) it has nothing to do with today and what he brings. I am quite sure many people have skeletons they would like to shed once and for all and this should be one.........rock on Tippie from a B-Team Bro!
 I love reading and/or watching anything Tippie related. This guy knows how to live life!
 Brett is a great guy - I asked for signed posters for my kids and he sent them out. A real ambassador of the sport.
 congrats on the upcoming baby mr. tippie. good to see you're enjoying the winter as much as you do the summer. glad to read so many positive replies as well. kinda surprising in a way.
 This interview needs more product placement Smile
 Always rad times with you, Tip! An all-time legend who has lived more than most of us ever will.
 great riding! good to see you shredding harder than ever Tippie!
 downhill in the rain at night. how cool is that?
 new respect for Brett, stoked for you, you're an awesome dad.
 Bret have a hi-5 from the UK! I fucking love this guy
 I hope I have his energy when I'm his age! He seems like quite the person to know or meet for sure.
 Epic interview/clip Tippie/Ryan, great job. Love the second last shot, looks kinda like Trespasser @ Whis but I'm gonna say it's on another trail I won't mention, up near where you filmed the interview (I swear I recognise that rock face). Steep/tech trails at night, in the rain. Not here to f*ck around...
 Glad to see the old school Rossi board is still holding up, 2nd time lucky I guess.
 I had one of those back in the day... Unidirectional and stiff as fuck!!! hahaha
 stiff board but Tippie's a big dude and fast everything else seems to flex out - even the Kessler raceboard he now has. Those boards are 19 years old now lol time flies.
 Tippie made riding where it is
I rode with him at camp of champions: changed my views about riding
 That is what Tippie does, hands down one of the top 5 riders in the world ...
 Tippie - livin life at 195 KM an hour in the fast lane!
 My god , look at all that awesome untouched powder
 What an amazing guy Tippie is, we're so lucky to have so many unique characters like him in our sport.
 tippie has no off season. The dude's always on!
 Tippie is a rad dude and great for the industry!! Man I need to step it up and hit the trails at 9:30 at night like Tippie Bring on the winter night rides!!!!
 EL EE GEE EE EN DEE! Tippie is so Boo Radly! Night footage at the end was MINT!
 Tippie the man, keep charging and howling at people
 Legend! awesome to hear his story
 deep pow on a sled. Soooo want to do that again. Wicked fun.
 TIPPIE IS THE MAN!
 Right Tippie, see ya at the Western Open
 All that fresh pow!
 Tippie sooo funny, riper on the bike!!!!!
 Dang, Tippie is the man! Inspiration to the sport. Hope to meet him one day!
 If you approach life with even 10% of Tippies energy, you'll do just fine.
 The sixth photo down is amazing. WOW factor
 Brett is my hero!
 Nice pic of the mountains... Always cool to see a legend......
 tippie needs to shout more
 Does anyone know what light setup Tippie is using for the night riding?
 Niterider 3000 on the head and a 1400 on the bars.
 Great interview and cool nite riding scenes (and pic),
 Look at those calves! I think Ryan can go calf to calf with the Karver!
 I agree, needs more product placement!
 This interview seemed really dark.....I know Tippie for high energy, this doesn't fit him.....
 i love my bike but snowmobiling is my passion. its my life
 How many PODs???
 Tippie is so humble and wise.... the interviewer not so much...
 What a music in video???