Video: Trail Dog Shredding

May 2, 2013 at 20:37
May 2, 2013
by Reilly Kintzele

You've all been introduced to Drew and Bella through a recent Picture of the Day (shown below), but check them out as they rip apart Drew's adopted trail, Oriental Express, in this trail dog fueled video!

Drew and his trusty trail dog Bella both rip the trails a new one Bella is one of the fastest best traildogs I ve seen and is constantly within a foot of Drew s rear wheel. Follow me at facebook.com reilshiftmedia

Dog Scrub!

Bermage

Berm railage: both human and canine.

Hyrdration is key

Hydration is key. Treat your trail dog like you would want to be treated! That's how the saying goes right?

Believe it or not he is 100 blind and still navigates the trails

Believe it or not, Kobe is 100% blind. He still manages to navigate the trails like a champ by using scent and sound!

I had a coyote race me down a trail one time, seriously. One of the coolest things that ever happened to me riding. He ( I assume he was a guy the way he acted ) beat me too, I would gain on him, then he would open up a little. When he got tired he stopped and looked at me, and I swear he nodded at me like yeah I smoke you! No BS
 acids mean ae
 Lol. Seriously lol. I chased a huge smelly billy goat down an extremely rocky track once for about a minute. I thought I was the man till it turned off the track then started chasing me. Then I was crapping myself because the track is quite hard to clear and if I crashed I may have been in trouble. Was super relived when he gave up chase. I wish if have me a nod like the story above!
 i know for sure that deers can smoke anyone thru the woods
 Who needs a mountain bike, just need a large dog, harness it and hold on Smile
 I had a rabbit run directly infront of my front wheel for about 50 meters once , not as cool as a coyote but yeah...
 Once I was chased by wild boar in Prague periphery, pedaled like never before Smile
 That Dog should be wearing a helmet whilst on the trail
 Followed a Wedgetail for a short while, as it got speed to get up over the canopy of trees...Faaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.....big.
 Ran over a squirl once,and a snake. Also many times almost running into deer. They are sooo fast
 That's nothing! Once I raced a cheetah...
 I chased a turkey down the trail once, it was too stupid to turn off.
 The deer did not get smoked in this clip!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dryZfXu9X_I
 Well after reading all stories I wanted to share mine too .One of the early days of my DH life and this was a long walking track I was ridding on more all mountain level track, there was few cows and one of them decided the run front of me I slowed down few time to give a cow a chance to get out the way but every time I stop cow did the same and looked at me on the face like is that all you got! I got bored and wanted to get the bottom of the hill before dark cow never gave up till i decided to over take the beast where the trail got wider but cow decided the go faster and I end it up going in a big sludgy mud pool caused me fly over the bars and find my self hugging the cow's neck from the side never afraid of my life so much before after 5-10 sec . i gave up and let go my self luckily never got toasted by cow but the smile on my cousins face lasted days ,In his opinion that was the worse rodeo ever he watched!
 The legend says that one dude got followed by a bear on Darren Berrecloth's trails.
 lol H-MONSTER , getting trolled by a cow Big Grin
 DOG CAM gopro MOUNT!!! Everyone loves the Dog videos. I keep hoping to see someone come up with a DOG CAM! Camera mount on their pup to get that perfect angle right behind them dicing back and forth and getting the low angle Awesome video and thanks for watering your dog! Good owner.
 @ MONSTER hahahahahah i am literally laughing out loud!
 bike companys should have the option of a new trail dog with every bike purchase. id jump all over that Smile
 A couple of friends and I had to follow a black bear on the Ribbon Creek trail in Kananaskis for about an hour. The bastard didn't want to get off the trail as it was easier that trudging through the bushes I guess. It was a great ride with a lot of flow until we had to stop and walk our bikes about 100 feet behind the bear. I would have preferred to have a dog with us...
 Are you the Road Runner???
 I once flew round a blind bend and t-boned a sheep lol, went over the bars and I must of winded the sheep cos it just layed there wheezing for fw minutes before it got up and wandered off
 my mates seen a sheep running around with a bucket on its head on the way back from an uplift day in Wales.
 I was dirtbiking in the desert and I killed a bird with my number plate... I felt so bad.
 My friend peed his pants in Whistler when he ran into a bear. I wondered why he was so quiet when he got down...
 I rode past a huuuge cow in the Alps, but I didn't chase the cow and the cow didn't chase me so this is irrelevant really
 Huh, all you dudes chasing animals. Tell you whats most fun, chasing the bloody chinese tourists who walk my trails!
 Man, I can watch norbs shred down the rampage site, and I get stoked.. But nothing makes me more anxious then the trail dogs getting so close to the rider, always worried the rider is going to land on the dog or something, anyways sick video, I only have cats.. So I can't trail with them. Lucky dog owners.
 I have a trail dog that gets super close, www.pinkbike.com/photo/8460888
The only thing is longer I ride, further back my dog gets. I imagine that when they filmed this it was a lot of start/stop, so the dog is always ready and close to the rider.
 X1080experimentalX: It was almost torture watching that dog get so close. Not hating, I totally get it. However, I'm a cat man, man. Dog owners do have a pretty good. On occasions I get to ride with a few cats. These CATS are about as big as my bike and run faster than I can ride. We cool though. I hope its because I'm a cat man, man. Props to this video!
 zip tie the cats to your frame X1080
 I agree. I have a 50lb lab mix who can kill it on the trail and is always right on my back wheel. I stopped riding with him cause i was too nervous i would kill or mame him. As much as i loved the big grin on his face from running the trail, i will stick to swimming and hiking with my pup. Too much risk. I would never forgive myself if i hit him. An all mountain bike hitting your dog at speed is gonna have some serious consequences. Also, my dog got a small hernia that wasnt a big deal, but both me and my vet have no idea where it came from. I have my suspicion that it happend on a hard ride.
 Trail Cat Shredding coming soon?
 Who Toonces? ( SNL ) that would be awesome
 Yeh it is proper sketchy... My old dog had her tail cut off by catching it in the wheel:/
 time to train a horse to follow me on my moto
 please make a video when you accomplish this.
 Sounds like you need.... an IRON HORSE!!
 You mean that bike that looks like a Trek Session?
 T1000........fuk u
 Touchy bunch them Trek lovers... :-)
 "its so fluffy I'm gonna die!"
 ^^ LOL!!!! Greatest movie ever. Too bad that's not a unicorn following him down the trail.
 I love the dog scrub at 45 secs!
 Hound dog scrubs like a pro!
 I think that dog is faster than he is. But who am I to talk, I'm not faster than either of them. They shred way better than I ever will be able to. Awesome Clip!
 Who doesn't love trail dogs? Other than the british
 Oi! I've got 2 trail Dogs - Oakley & Izzy - and they are faaaaaast!
 I worry about injuring my dogs too much to try this , would love to but I think I would get majorly depressed if I ran one over or some thing..
 Woah! Less of the Brit dig!
 Some one should strap a go-pro to their trail dog , would make for an awesome view
 you would be surprised how hard it is to actually run one over, seen many collisions but never a run over. Good trail dog will get out of way or just get brushed
 Love riding, love my dog oakley, but put them together and its amazing everytime, not only is he rapid as f**k but loves features and works every run!! He's an English Springer Spaniel and will go for it all day long and come back for more, infact he's looking at me now asking to come to golspie tomorrow... ofcourse he can!
 My dog ​​does the same. Every time when I come back from work he stares at me, trying to say take me for a bike ride. And when I take the helmet, he gets crazy. :-)
 Wow this makes me want a trail dog even more. Had to put my dog, tank, down a little while back, and even tho he was my best friend, he sucked at following me down a trail. Probably because he was faster than me and easily distracted. So I'm wondering what makes a good trail dog? Is it the breed, disposition, startin em early, or just obedience training? Any tips?
 I'd say start them early while they aren't fast enough to lead you! My guess is there's a lot ofnluck involved though. Breed wohld probably help too! I would assume that hounds aremt the best because every smell distracts them, but then again I took my beagle out recently and she stayed close to me!
 @realshiftmedia A 6 months old puppy can be faster and should probably not even be on the trail, so starting early while they aren't fast enough is not the way to go.

1. Obedience 2. Breed, importance in that order.

1.U need to start of with basics like making the dog come to you and stay put on command. Once U got that locked down, it will be easier to work with the dog. Train the dog to run behind U, when it does good U give encourege and when it does wrong U ignore the behavior, stop and start over.

Since the dog rather have fun then just stopping every 20 seconds it will soon pick up. Stay behind = you will be moving.

Another good thing to work on is making the dog stay put where it is and not coming to you before it stops, ex. going up a fireroad and another vehicle is coming.

2. Dogs bread for herding are the easiest 'cause it's in there instinct to follow you and not do things by themeself, but they also need to use there brain otherwise they will be a huge pain. If U don't plan to herd or do things like obedience, agility etc on competition level, don't bother. Ex. BC, Aussies, Kelpie, Sheltie.

Retrivers are bread to be willing to work with you and therefore popular. Not as demanding as the above but often do have some urge to hunt and that can be a problem when they're off the leash. Ex. Golden Retrive, Labrador, Nova Scotia.

Those are the two type of dogs I would mainly look in to be cause of there natural instincts, but foremost it's the obedience that matters.
 Is a Yorkie good for it?
 Its also not a good idea to take younger dogs (under 1yr) on long rides regularly. This can cause health problems in the long run. To much during development can make their lives miserable later. You wouldnt run a 6 yr old kid in a marathon on a regular basis without problems. As for breed the best trail dogs i have owned have been mixed breed herding dogs. Some dogs love it others don't, roll of the dice. Miss my trail dog immensely, she out shredded everyone every time. It was great she would always pick on one of my buddies- steal his food at breaks & piss on his bladder tube. Only him tho, was always blaming me that i trained her to do it. Wish i could have, it was priceless...
 Bella is a 7 year old Pit/Lab mix. She's an amazing trail dog. I've got several friends with bad-ass trail dogs and most of them are half Pit. It seems that they have the perfect balance of strength and tougness with whatever else is mixed in which allows them to be explosive with a bit of endurance. Not to mention that mixes like her are typically incredibly healthy. Pits can be stubborn, but Bella is also one of the sweetest dogs I know. Love that dog!

By the way, when we rescued Bella from the pound she was on her way to being euthenized because of her Pit mix. Go to your local humane society and adopt a mut!
 I've ridden with my Dobberman couple for a year now, they're the best trail dogs I have ever owned. I believe as MendelMU says, obedience is the KEY in the situation. If the dog isn't obedient and doesn't know YOU're the leader of the pack, then it will distract with anything you go through. Theres an infinite number of things in the trails, insects, animals, odors, vegetation, but when one is riding you don't notice them. Dogs have to know they are there to follow you!

The breed as well, is a key factor, I can assure you a small sized dog won't be the best companion on the trails (Enduro, Dh, XC). If you're into the BMX tracks or park style any dog is a good companion! I've owned a couple of breed and rode with all three of them (Labrador, Neapolitan Mastiff and Dobbermans) Dobermans are by far the BEST trail dogs I've ridden with. Their obedience and stealth is unmatchable. People tend to get scared when I pop up with two Dobs. TOTAL PREJUDICE.

Be careful when you own any breed like the Dobs, that have false accusations. When people get scared your dogs will sense this fear as danger and will probably cause you trouble if they DONT stay PUT on command.

GO OUT AND RIDE WITH YOUR DOGS!
 I always shred with my trail dog Brodi on every ride he's a hungarian Vizsla and super fit, he loves chasing me down the trails. check out the picture below when i strapped the go-pro to his back and eneded up with this pretty cool shot! Everyone should own a trail dog that way you'll always have someone to ride with!!

www.pinkbike.com/photo/9530553
 I used to ride with my Vizsla too, until the ex took her... So smart and so fast! They never get in the way, never get lost. They'll go 25 miles before they tire. I miss her... She chased down a herd of Mule deer one time and herded them back to me. She did this for like an hour, before the big buck in the group got tired of it and just about mauled her. it was pretty cool watching them run though.

www.pinkbike.com/photo/2946171
 feel for you bro
 Awesome,vid, I ride with my dog all the time, you never worry about him getting in the way, just like ya get used to newer riders over time, dogs are no different, they know what to do, its the rider unfamilarity, anyways really enjoyed this vid found myself watching the dog more than the rider, I did feel for Kobe, but he pulled through, rarley can I beat my Lab X down the tail though hes fast! Cheers for the vid we need more of this, trail dogs and riders wikid!
 man... that dog is fast....I'm sure is faster than the rider! And funny too! His eyes are laughing, that means he really likes what he do.
 Awesome video with his pup, man that dog can fly, I ride with my yellow lab, Keena, she's almost 9 now but still keeps up well. when I am lucky enough to get ahead of her I feel good, only cause she is getting up in age, then again so am I. She is an awesome trail dog !!!!
 Be careful when riding trails with gap jumps. I've seen other people's dogs case into the backside of a landing more than a few times while riding. Let the dog learn the trail before you go full speed, and they will remember where they need to go around jumps.
 Love it, well done! Trail dogs are the best riding partners, never leave the house without my girl Maggie. More trail dogs on PB!!
 DOG CAM gopro MOUNT!!! Everyone loves the Dog videos. I keep hoping to see someone come up with a DOG CAM! Camera mount on their pup to get that perfect angle right behind them dicing back and forth and getting the low angleSmile Awesome video and thanks for watering your dog! Good owner.
 Kobe is one hell of a cool dog. Kobe deserves a big NY Strip Steak and a bone the size of T-Rex's leg to gnaw on!

Blind? he's not blind he's got mad dog senses that make im better then any seeing eye dog! ^_^
 This is just the right way how to not ride alone Smile I love to hit trails with my dog too, always cares about me when I crash, sometimes get the in front of me and showing me the best line, we always have lot of fun together, I owe her edit like this one
 this is fantastic!!!! I miss having Ghost shred with me!
 love it, long live the trail dogs, now all i need is a trail cat
 Dude, if that dog learns how to run a berm he will faster than you down the run. He's got loads of traction on the inside line hey?!
 Kobe navigates the trail even tho 100% blind?! That makes my mind boggle. Props to that K9. Sometimes nature is too awesome for words.
 I need to adopt a fast trail dog so I get faster at riding from trying to outrun it.
 holly crap that dog can run ,,,,he ride pretty good too ,but them ,,,never saw a dog riding along that fast ,,,,,
tubo 4x4 Smile !!! cool
 awesome vid, trail dogs should be more widely accepted. where I live they try to give you crap for riding with your dog off the leash. stooopid.
 Next time you race a wild animal remember this video... I guess fox or a duck is not too bad but this....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxFIX0oPTso&feature=youtube_gdata_player

....is a diferent kettle of fish Smile
 I mounted a Contour on my dog's harness, need to figure out a way to stablize the camera better...

www.pinkbike.com/video/279479
 Thats one cool trail dog.
 If I had a trail dog, I probably can't ride because I'd be too afraid of running my dog over
 Last picture,I saw a blind guy ride Aline with his friend yelling directions to him
 Definitely one of the best things on the interwebs
 Aww man! I thought this was ganna' be a video of a dog riding n shredding on the trail! ;p
 I teared up when I read that Kobe is 100% blind and navigating trails at those speeds. Good god.
 My rear wheel once chased my front wheel Down a trail it was awesome until things was reversed Frown
 My Golden Retriever just watched this whole video, about a foot from the TV. I think he has a crush.
 I ride with 2 golder retrievers and both love it. They get a little crazy as soon as I go downstairs to gear up.
 I would be hard pressed to ever be as happy as that dog! I want a canine companion now.
 I usually bring a trail bear or two at Whistler. Good fun like
 Reminds me of the dog creature on John Carter
 That dog can SCRUB. hahaha!
 He shouldve put a gopro on the dog to vid the back of him riding!
 Thats awesome ! I want a dog that while come shred the trails with me ! Low centre of gravity so it can rail the berms yeeeeww!
 Nice vid ,I wish i started this with my dog to.Dogs are men best friends.
 hope my cat could do that..
 I think we need a Dogs in Action section in Photos.
 Bella likes those inside lines
 i have a border collie i ride with, super fast and agile and never tires
 Awesome! Love ripping with my dogs... yours is way faster!
 Her line choices are amazing. Great vid.
 Great job Trim, Reilly and Bella!
 seriously aren't you afraid you could crush him ??
 Put the strava on the dog.
 Unlike the title suggests, no Trail Dogs were shredded in this video...
 who needs a bike when your dog can roost for you
 KOBE FTMFW!!!!!
 Agreed! That's almost more impressive than how hard Bella shreds.
 The video went WAY better when listening to this song
www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhUPlyURQ5g
Rundfunk-a long night
 I'm actually liking that.. Kinda Daft Punk, maybe getting a bit too "namco" cool track but i still like the videos original soundtrack too.
 thx, i made a whole playlist and most of the songs on there make almost any PB vid better its wierd
 and sometimes people ask me if I'm a cat or dog person? isn't it obvious?
 Nice shredding Trim. Always cool seeing a builder ride his handywork.
 Coolest dog in the world!!! I would call him NORBS!!!
 Last year at silverstar i followed a dear down a trail and it was so cool.
 Nice vid Trim
 Best thing on the freaking Internet
 Mid 40's? Shoot blanks? Transition Covert is your kinda bike!
 Bella SHREDS!
 The god god very like! haha ~!
 SIT...Boo Boo SIT! Good Dog! (all I got)
 like your moms poon mate
 Dickhead.