Video: Legend's Race and Speed & Style at Kamikaze Games

Sep 7, 2013
by Shelby Smith

so dope props to the guy with one leg.
 Ken Foraker
 AKA Haggar!
 We took a holiday to Cali last year and I managed to spend one day on a rental Rocky Mountain Flatline at Mammoth... I gained a whole new level of respect for the guys who were racing Mammoth back in the 90's. It was exactly like it looked on video, and was super nostalgic, but that top section is seriously rough, and doing that on a hardtail or FS with 30-50mm travel would have been nuts. Also, I found how insanely loose the ground is up there, it's like the loosest pea gravel type stuff I have ever ridden on! Had to let a good 10PSI out the Minions just to get ANY grip!
 The kamikaze is why tires like the white onza porcupines and the grey umma gumma specialized tires were created. The white onza's had no carbon in the rubber and were SUUUUPPEEEERRR tacky / low durometer. I gave a pair of new ones to a buddy for his birthday around 1995 and he used them at MSA and they were worn out after 3 runs down the mountain.
 Seeing the Mammoth Mountain Kamakazie was the reason I got into downhilling back in the day (1996 I think). At the time is was the 'raddest' thing around, and was all about how badass you could be. If it wasn't for these guys, the sport wouldn't be where it is today. It's awesome to see these legends out riding again! Keep the dream alive.
 Same. John Tomac sliding round those corners....... This race made downhill a viable sport back in the day, and looked so fast and dangerous that you just had to get on your bike! The track and it's riders were instrumental in the creation of Dh as we know it today.
 I think modern DH can take a leaf from the mammoth track , one track a year should be some thing like this , completely flat out areo tuck madness with some tech wooded bit thrown in , like MSA but faster!
 PMB? I know its kinda boring on camera but that's exactly what it is. Extremely fast and loose.
 pretty cool. The one legged worrior.
 You wean warrior, don't you!
 And you mean, mean if I'm not mistaken.
 I was waiting for someone to notice!
 Missing some legends...Palmer...Giove...Rockwell.
 Was Lopes on a 29er?
 Lopes won a baby
 The one legged shredder reminds me of the beast that used to do trials/north shore type stuff in the old Kranked videos. Rad
 Awesome footage (minus the tune), so happy to be a part of tradition and I hope this thing blows up next year.
 Are we not going to talk about how many people were riding without visors?
 Classic, no flips whips or anything else just class filming and a feel goodvid with a great tune and great history .vod for me
 Can't imagine being on the back of that tandem!
 Surprised he had his shirt on...
 Name of the song?
 Whats with all the squid lids....
 Embrace Me - We can make it last a Lifetime
 Sorry
John Dahlback - Embrace Me
This one Smile
 hellll yea greg killing it congrads !!!
 Brian Lopes still Flyin!