Video: Matt Hunter Tours Mount Blanc

Jan 25, 2013 at 0:08
Jan 25, 2013
by Scott Secco

Whether it's in the parking lot or the pub, "How was the ride?" is a loaded question. Coming back from a multi-day, multi-country adventure with some old friends and a new bike, the question gets asked a lot. Fresh off the trail and filled with post-ride fever, I often find myself pouring a stream of expletives and hyperboles in reply.

I admit that in an effort to describe the best moments of a ride, the truth can take a bit of a holiday. OK, maybe not EVERY corner was bermed, and the drifts weren't ALL roosting shoulder high. Luckily for me (and for you!) the story of the Tour Mont Blanc has proof.

Please take a moment to explore the evidence behind this truly "epic" ride. Check out the scenery and the trail, and let your imagination put you in the saddle. Then get out on your bike and make your own adventure. -Matt Hunter

IMPORTANT NOTICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you guys want to have the same EPIC experience as Matt check this website!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.bikeandmountain.com/MTB-by-Gianfranco-Sappa/mtb-eng/?lang=en

I've done the tour of Mont Blanc 2 years ago with this Mounainereeng-mountain biking-free skiing guide Gianfranco Sappa, the exerience was AWESOME. He is based in Courmayeur and I can assure he is one of the best guides for this kind of tour, with a lot of experience!!!!
 Gracie for the info...not sure when I can go there..well, at least start from a dream.
 Thx Man! We go there in July so it should be helpful Smile
 Man that was rad!!! Our alpine is so much similar, but there is not so much of it. Can`t wait to hit it again.
 Matt Hunter is the one particular rider, that has influenced my riding so much. For hell's sake, he is the rider, watching whom got me into mountainbiking, truth from the heart. I wish I could meet him some day. Great adventure.
 Agreed. I realise this is a fancy ad for specialized, but beneath all that (and in all the movies) you still get to know that Matt is a good dude. A rider still like the rest of us. Stoked on riding new trails. Would be great to meet him someday.
 The ladies hunting for autographs. I swear they had no clue who he was Big Grin
Or they said: Hey Hunter, back in the days we rode this stuff on our chinese hardtails haha

After that video i´m realy looking forward to ride some hard-earnend singletrails.
 Amazing! Tour de Mont Blanc is now on the 'to do' list...
 SIIIIICCCKKK loop Hunter!
Anyone want to ride in the same zone (Italy and Switzerland) but not have to deal with as much hike-a-biking as the Tour du Mont Blanc...check out Big Mountain Adventures: ridebig.com/adventures.php
We've been guiding epic all-mountain & DH trips around Mont Blanc for 10 years. Ride big!
 Matt Hunter has got to be my favorite Canadian in the world
 Huge ride, flat pedals, fun bikes, awesome food....looks like a heck of a good time!
 That was awesome! Its great to see what the world is like from a mnt bike while sitting at my desk pretending to work. Thanks for the tour of Mont Blanc!!
 Man. It sucks to be behind a desk watching these great videos. I should be working to but I'm not. lol.
 Not taking anything away from this amazing adventure, but it would be really cool to see some touring which actually involves more equipment than a day pack, passport and enough cash for all the nice accommodations and trimmings. Self-sufficient biking tours in some remote locations would be sweet. Nice to think some of these guys could pitch a tent if they had to. We all know it's not going to be the McCaul brothers in any case...
 eh, the last camping trip the mccaul brothers did, they had a helicopter.....

From my experience - riding with a 60l pack full of gear makes for some shitty downhills. Or better said, a few more over the bars on those epic little sections that you would have cleared without the 30lbs on your back. Kills the fun. Or you talking about cross country stuff?
 Matt Hunter did that a couple of years ago, try to Google "Matt Hunter Lone Wolf" :-)
 EM-J -- not going to get that in Europe without faking it. Look to less crowded places in the world for that - North America for example
 Ibeaver, different strokes for different folks.

Thanks for the tip on the Lone Wolf vid Jorgen. I was aware he's done other stuff. I just find the lack of variety on the homepage a bit frustrating.

Leelau, I have been told to follow you because apparently you are very interesting. Whatever that means Wink
 em-j look for trips by Margus Riga, PJ Hunton, Bryce Borlick myself and others self-supported with packs mainly in the South Chilcotins. Some on PB, some on other websites.

ibeaver - I can get away with a 25l pack for 3 nights 4 days on the bike. Some other guys are lighter, some are heavier (but not by much. 60l is pretty crazy
 Thanks Leelau, will do.

Also I wasn't going to say anything, but my 44L Osprey Talon is more than enough, and that isn't traveling especially light. I can't even imagine being able to sit on a bike with a 60L, let alone be able to move with it. I have a 21L Camelback (3L reservoir) which I use for shorter trips and hiking.

I would be really interested to see what gear you are using!
 emj, i was asking what you meant..... cross country styel? not criticising. If you wanted to ride the same tour as Matt in that vid, you'd not be having fun even with 40l, for a lot of that ride, including the days going up 6000' worth of riding. I personally don't like much of any pack on my back... a 20l dueter is sometimes way to much.

Leelau, I like to change my shorts after 2 days :-p
 I'm not sure what you mean by 'style'? If you are differentiating between xc touring and riding dh with a 60L pack then I can understand why you weren't having any fun, but other than touring, I'm not sure what else you would use that size pack for? However xc touring doesn't mean you're not going to encounter big climbs or fast, tech dh sections. So again, really not sure what you're asking?

Also try wool, if you are worried about hygiene on the trails. I strongly recommend ibex personally. Days of comfort and no stink Wink
 Can that guy be any smoother on a bike?
 Beautifully done. Love the way all the riders had respect for the hikers and the mountains and nature. Good ambassadors in a gorgeous place
 Matt Hunter speaking ( a good ) french ... made my day Smile
 If any wants to actually do this ride same style as Matt H just did, I am doing it twice this summer. There is room to join or make a new trip withyour own dates, see www.ridethealps.com cheers and hope to get better weather on teh ace drop into itlay !!
 stimulating! that's the stuff that I love. such a great adventure...especially to share with friends. Lone Wolf no longer! #wolfpack
 Matt has to be quite fit..... sick looking adventure in some mystical mountain regions!
 Yeah J,i would be no chance of those climbs hahaha.....magic little vid this.As i have gotten older ive gone from the 4min hell raiser DH rides to these huge adventure rides.I have not done one yet but i think this coming winter has us penciled in for a 3 day ride and camp stint through magic rain forrests.....i just have to keep the bro's keen for it.I will send them all a link to this vid and if that dont fire them up nothing will.....Hunter is a legend in these parts and is often regarded as everyones fave rider...mine included.He is what got me on a Enduro hahaha
 Nice to hear you talk in french! Keep up the good work.
 Loop of the year... bikes, beers, borders, and a very broadened smile! Ok, I'm going riding... thanks for inspiring epic!
 this is the epitome of MOUNTAIN biking
 this is one reason why I'm here :-) If Matt would put together a winter adventure around mt blanc, then you would see the second reason. Oh, and all the mtn girls are called Heidi... unbelievable! The third reason!!
 noodle after a ride...hmmmm my favorite. i mean spaghetti. Thanks for the video, makes me wanna cry coz i cant ride this weekend due to rain till monday.
 Well shit, Matt. Do I get a Stumpy EVO or an Enduro? I can't afford carbon shit!
 get the stumpy evo.. so much fun
 I just might take your word!
 I went from an sx trail to it.. and I was pretty scared it wasnt going to handle what the sx could, but it can and it is sooo much more versatile when it comes to all around riding, I stuck some bigger bars on it so i could be a trend whore and now Im happy with it and couldnt really think of anything else id wanna change which is a first for a stock bike!
 I was planning on new wide bars for whichever one I went with, haha. I'm surprised that it compares well with the SX. What year is your Stumpy?
 Well my sx wasn't a new model, it was an 06 so there wasnt a massive difference in travel, still, it handles well, its the 2013 comp evo, try taking one out for a test ride, thats what I did.. but it was easy for me because I work at a spesh dealer lol
 Well, screw you man! Haha, I don't think my LBS demos any bikes. I would have test it around slushy parking lot surrounded by a foot of sloppy snow. Thanks my man! I really appreciate this. I'll wait until I have my tax return so I can at least put a down payment for layaway before testing them out. I would probably get the 2012 Comp EVO. '12 and '13 are both super sexy.
 the '12 has elixir.. (or however its spelt) 7's instead of 5's... but im pretty sure the '13 has a slightly better rear hub.. other than that I don't think there are any major changes apart from colour ofc!
 Matt Hunter is the next Hans Rey. Inspiring us to ride not just by shredding, but through amazing adventures. Well done.
 I need to see again before go sleeping ... Maybe i dream about it! ...Sssssh!!! Im watchingSmile
 awesome vid!
someone knows the name of the last song? can`t find it with shazam
 seriously guys ... what is it ?
 Thanks for showing us that great ride you had in the alps...I would not last in those huge hill climbs but those downhills sure looked like alot of fun
 That is just AWESOME! I've never done a multi-day ride, definitely want to more than ever now!
 matt hunter is so cool
 Matt Hunter descends uphill. Beat it Chuck
 Just beautiful, surely you couldn't bypass a landscape like that huh? 10/10
 amazing... just added to my bucket list....
 Matt hunter is a beast! One of my riding idols for sure.
 Heading over there this summer, first time riding in france, going to be wild. Lovely filming.
 looked like an epic all-mountain adventure!
 I logged in just to de- merit ampa. This makes it two.
 MORRREEEEENDUROOOOWITHMATTTTTHUNTERPLEEEEEZ.
 the alps are amazing!!
 Can't wait till my Enduro gets here.
 Thanks Matt, for adding one more thing to my bucket list.
 Aaaand my bucket list has grown by one... Big Grin
 loved the coffee & beer combo he was drinking Smile
 That looks like an awesome ride. Matt Hunter is amazing.
 It's cuz he's local n I've met him
 awsome video.
 such a cool trip. epic scenery too.
 How do I add this to my favorites?
 THAT looked like fun. tup
 Beautiful place hope to ride there one day!!
 Someone's sensor is pretty dirty! haha
 those trails look pretty AMAZING