Video Of The Month - April 2013

May 2, 2013 at 13:57
May 2, 2013
by Tyler Maine

Video of the Month is an article showcasing the best Videos of the Day that were uploaded the month before. We take the most viewed videos from the previous month, and pick our favorites out of the top 10.

As with the POM the way the VOM works is the photos are ranked by number of views in the month that they're uploaded. It has nothing to do with overall number of view, or when or if the video was VOD. So if you upload an video on September 30th, and it becomes VOD on October 10th, it may have a lot of views in October, but it's only eligible for Septembers VOM because that's when it was uploaded. This means that if you have a video (or a photo) that you think has a chance at VOM or POM you should upload it in the first few days of the month, and definitely not at the end of the month. With that said here are the most viewed videos that were uploaded in April...

Views: 170,397    Faves: 2,501    Comments: 116

1. Alchemy Full Length Movie by Chromag Bikes (Eric Lawrenuk)

(Password protected)
This video is password protected.

2. Sea Otter 2013 - Downhill Highlights by Mind Spark Cinema

Views: 130,561    Faves: 1,936    Comments: 79

3. SHIFTED - Full Film by Virtu Media

Views: 104,872    Faves: 1,311    Comments: 82

4. Graham Agassiz getting loose on Kona's 2014 Carbon Operator by Kona World

Views: 67,906    Faves: 1,173    Comments: 50

5. Crazy BMX Dirt Jump Session: Jaie Toohey, Cam White & Jed Mildon by Unit Clothing

Honorable Mentions include:

"Shifted Teaser Two" by Virtu Media. This is our first runner up with 43,666 views

"Sea Otter 2013 - Pro Dual Slalom" by Mind Spark Cinema. 40,127 views.

"Sea Otter 2013 - Speed and Style" by Mind Spark Cinema. 40, 108 views.

Every time I watch that Operator video I remember why Aggy is one of my favorite riders. Not to mention that the new Operator is sickkkkk.
 very sick indeed
 dude's riding style is just the best. rides like a godamn maniac, loose as shit.
 AGGY GOT A RIDING STYLE LIKE YOUR MOM RIDE MY PENIS
 Man,that was hilarious. Too bad that joke is older than your mom
 New operator is impressive. And Aggy gets down with the sickness
 Carbon operator ain't no evil undead! But it's a serious step in the right direction! One day they will get it right.
 Too bad the joke was older than your Mom's penis...
 integrated chain protector? Maaaan it was about time!!! I wish my M9 had that...
 that 360 at the end.. he knows it.. Aggy combines stylish DH riding and some almost dirt jump tricks.. thats why he is so uniqe
 Any word on Video of the Year for 2012? Photo of the Year happened around the same time as the year before, but VOY not so much? I thought last year was a big success? Going through the brackets every week was awesome!
 VOY will be back at the end of this year, we were swamped with a ton of projects a month ago and it wouldn't have been possible. But VOY will be back and bigger than ever!
 Ah I see, so wait- Pinkbike is basically skipping VOY for 2012?
 yes adanac14, thats pretty much whats going on
 Shifted should have been posted yesterday. Within just a few days it was able to reach #3. The quality of the production was OUTSTANDING!!! Higher quality than my HD iTunes purchases(provable), and great music(yes, subjective). Alchemy had outstanding talent within, but less-than-desirable production, and (subjectively) poor soundtrack.

However, considering criteria, Alchemy deserved top spot without any doubt.
 Full-length HD films released for free - now that's one criterion that almost automatically puts them in VOM contention for me. We live in a good time.
 remember when music was actually cool? When it was a bunch of badass mofos wailing on guitars and head banging around stage. Now its a few fruits next to a keyboard making electric noises. Hahaha you youth have been tricked into being fruits!!! Long live metal!!!
 when i bought my supreme operator frame a month ago, i was telling myself 'im going to be kicking myself when the carbon one comes out'.. and i did for a few minutes. but then i realized i was just happy that i had an operator

although i think i know what my next frame is gonna be Wink
 its close between alchemy and shifted, i think im leaning more towards alchemy
 First one, to sick, awesome riding, best soundtrack ever, great filming too!
 WHERE IS THAT THUMBNAIL PHOTO OF THAT CRAZY BERM ROOST? WTF I WANT TO SEE THAT IN HIGH RES!
 I think it was a POD a month or so ago. It looks familiar. I don't think he makes it. I don't think I would either.
 WOW! There's a lot of flex in that Fox fork when that dude crashes in the Sea Otter 2013 - Downhill Highlights video at 3:08.
 WOW! There's a lot of flex in that Fox fork after the dude crashes in the Sea Otter 2013 - Downhill Highlights video at 3:08.
 the soundtrack in shifted is wayyyyyyyyy bettter than alchemy
 Shifted is the best movie I have seen in a long long time Great riders, great places, awesome jumps Cheers
 Link to the picture on the news item of this on the front page?
 This should actually be rated by best videos instead of most views. Otherwise it's just showing the most viewed videos instead of the actual best videos of the month.
 Although Alchemy easily was the best video of the month.
 >This should actually be rated by best videos

The problem with that is that the "best" is subjective and different from person to person. What I think is best you might hate, and vice versa. And as I'm sure you've seen if you check out the POD or VOD everyday, people will throw a fit about EVERYTHING. You can't please all the people all the time, and all of those people are on pinkbike.
 I thought shifted was a lot better
 That's true, I see where your getting at. But then it should at least be rated by number of favs
 Shifted had really good filming and editing, however I wasnt to impressed with the music. I guess I set my hopes too high when I saw the trailer.
 fav's to views ratio.
 I thought shifted had a really good music choice.
 Alchemy wasn't really worth the waitFrown It had a bit too much Dirt Jumping in my opinion, it got a bit boring for me really, which is a bit unfortunate considering I was looking forward to it.
 ^@ Kieran-Young Your joking right? Complaining about a kick ass video that was given to us for free?!?
 How about the ratio of Favs/Views. Favs can only be made by pinkbike users so that way you filter out viral vids seen by the wrong audience in the www.
Plus, you add a threshold of perhaps... 5000 views? eliminating the possibility that self publicity for friends so that they fave your video
Finally, modify the time constraint policy... it states that it's not publication date but more views within the month. But the first day will always have more views because it's on the frontpage, and then the view curve goes down from day to day. So if you publish April 30, you're not going to win april, and you'll loose a considerable (april 30) audience for may. Plus factor in long weekends and stuff. Not shure about this one but maybe it should be more views within the week after published, and it must be published in the VOM month. (so VOM gets published on the 8th day of the following moth).
I obviously have a knee injury and woud be biking instead of writing this but I have nothing else to do.
 The last paragraph you said makes no sense. Somebody watching a video is just as likely to fav the video on the 22nd as the 3rd. If there aren't enough views, there's always next month. A lower limit would be a good idea though.
 i meant first day of the publication of the video (when it's in the front page of pinkbike), not first day of the month. But still suggestions, I can perfectly be wrong like you say
 I would go straight faves in a month. If someone thinks its a good video, they'll make that second click. A single video could conceivably get VoM in multiple months. I think this is ok. It shows that its a really good video.

The only problem that I see with this is that eventually the list of videos added to favorites might get stuck with the same set of videos if a particular video gets a lot of faves. I think PB would have to make a change to the logic there. Maybe two different rows of videos being added to likes. top trending videos for the month and then top trending videos not in the list of top videos of the month.

edit: Just an example of why I think it would be better. I feel that Shifted was a better video in terms of riding and cinematography than the Sea Otter video. I think more people clicked on it to see what happened at Sea Otter than because they enjoy the video. That's not to say the Sea Otter video wasn't good. It was really good. However, a month from now (maybe even a week from now) I'm more likely to watch Shifted vs the Sea Otter video. In fact, I've already watched the Shifted video twice in its entirety and bits of it more than that.
 ALCHEMY ! ! ! ! by far
 sea ​​otter definitely!!!!
 Fwahhh frame flex on that yeti! 3.04 on the sea otter vid
 that was just fork flex.
 it looks like that hurt
 sick jumps! miss the bmx days.
 hey look its luca
 ALCHEMY ! Goooo Dustin Fly Yer DUST ! ! !