Video: Peter Savage - An Introduction

Dec 15, 2012 at 19:00
Dec 15, 2012
by Piers Zdan

Peter and I teamed up a few months ago to start filming for this two part series. Because this is Pete's first full length video segment, as well as being his introduction as a rider in the mountain bike scene, (and since he's only 16) we decided to call it ''An Introduction.'' He has plans to try his luck in a few competitions this season, but mostly to just ride his bikes as much as he can and have fun with it!

The first day of filming ended up being a bust due to bad luck with the weather and his bike. After hitting the hip once on his slope bike, Peter heard a loud "crack" which ended up being a linkage bolt. He then stuck a twig into the empty linkage bolt hole and used the industry standard "seat bounce test" to check the stability of the stick. Needless to say the day was done there. After that, it was a never-ending quest full of cancellations, broken bikes, and computer malfunctions to finish and finally release the video.

Video and words: Piers Zdan
Photo: Ira Hemond
Extra thanks: Derek Kidd, Andrew Sherry

Peter would like to thank his supporters: Oak Bay Bicycles and Chromag Components.

Is it me, or does that Front Flip at the end look like he got "shot" at take off ? either way it was sick.
 Interestingly, he did bigger stuff on the single crown bike than the dh bike.
 Sweet video, great riding and shot well. I wish there were some close ups of who this kid is, seeing how its an introduction and all...
 I was really stoked that there was biking and no big intro gimic.
 Long intros are played, this is how a mtb edit should be. I gotta say it was pretty mediocre except for a few shots until the "preview" came up for the second edit... that's going to blow minds it looks like.
 An big intro is not what I meant. I meant a shot of who he is, what he looks like. The rider behind the helmet, the rider being introduced.
 Fair enough. That will happen more in part 2 because it is a more dirtjump oriented segment.
 Cool. Great song, bike shop scene made me laugh. Nice job of filming that drop.
 As no one has said it yet that video was SAVAGE. Lol
 Nice video, interesting trail, good edit.. Wish him good luck next year.
 awesome location, editing, filming, and riding! got me stoked!
 Glad it was posted because I gotta watch something at work.
 The footage of autumn makes me long for summer. Trails look great. Nice edit. Keep it up, Savage.
 what was the first bike that got fixed?
 It's a Rocky Mountain but I don't know which model .
 Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC I think. They don't make them anymore.
 Sawing skills need some work.
 Sick work Pistols! Stokes for the dj seggy!
 sick! love seeing local trails.
ps- shrews old demo?
 how can a 16 year old afford such nice bikes Frown man it's annoying.
 I do hate that man, I'm 16 and I can't nearly afford that bike, I have a year 2000 Kona Stab Primo, soooooo hard to find parts for, its my first DH bike cause my parents are hella cheap, but I don't care, its a fuckin beast and it was only 350
 The demo isn't my bike, a friend that I work with let me borrow it for a few days. Wish it was mine tho!
 Anyone know the song please...cheers nice VOD
 Song: mumford & sons - roll away your stone
 This is rad Peter! Looking forward to part 2
 that frontflip throw had some wild motion in it! great riding
 Nice Video Edit. Waiting for part 2. Probably more DJ?
 Nice to see me and my buddies trail on PB. Nice of you to finish the drop as it's been awhile since we could make it out.
 Im not sure thats the same drop. We tore down an old drop and rebuilt that from scratch. The old one was built in 2005.
 Sick video, stoked for part 2!
 Good video, very nice to see! waiting the part two.
 been waiting a while for this! so sick
 Pete, where can i inherit your skill! but in all seriousness this is by far one of the best island edits in a long time!
 thanks eric! glad you like it!!
 killer edit mate!
 That was awesome
 Ya gotta b honest didn't see anything in this video other than the flip that I cannot accomplish and I am far from making a video of my riding.... Ok but nothing special here. Just my opinion.
 Man up bro! Lets see what you got!
 yeah: but he made a video, you didn't.
 I agree with Jeff why is this on the home page
 Watch it again and tell me why this vid is on pb home page??
 Its my first video segment. Piers and I worked really hard on this video, Building and filming. just wanted to get it out there for all to see. Everyones got their own opinion though!
 ...and lets not forget that the Pinkbike team picked this for the front page... if it was up to 12 year old kids and jaded old farts I'm sure the homepage would be a very different place.
 @petersavage huge props dude, it just goes to show that age is but a number, and good on ya for getting your name out there, haters will hate but consider yourself at least 1 person more popular, cant wait for next vid too Smile
 thanks man!!
 @jeff444 Hey man sorry it didn't appeal to you. Gotta remember that not everyone has the resources and talent of Mindspark and Anthill. We do try our best though.
 lol gotta love neg props for an opinion lol
 gotta love being butthurt about negative props...
 Who cares about props lol it's the truth
 Good video, I just don't get the emphasis on that fairly small drop. Part two looks like it is going to be REALLY impressive.
 Fairly small drop? Really?
 The reason for displaying so much of the drop is that we built it (didn't have to time to video it), plus it's not quite as easy as it looks.
 Pieman6- Ah ok. If you built it yourself, good job. Now that I think of it, it didn't look like it had much of a run in. Either way, I didn't mean my comment to come off as negative, and look forward to seeing more from you in the future! bobtjustice- It looked no more than 7 or 8 ft from lip to landing. I'd consider that fairly small.
 Not to be rude, but I thought it looked like a fairly small drop too, and it was repeated quite a few times, a bit repetitive, but good vid none the less.
 its about 9 feet down, and the ladder bridge is about a foot and a half wide. cheers! glad you liked it!
 The best film on pinkbink i've seen in a long time!!!! great work boys.....
 this was cooler.