What This is and Why You Need a Pair - Sea Otter Day 3

Apr 16, 2011 at 18:03
Apr 16, 2011
by Richard Cunningham

Brent Foes of Foes Racing fame designed and patented this clever fork-stop that clamps securely onto the stanchion tubes with a small Allen screw. Compare this with the slip-over rubber stops that come on stock dual-crown forks which often slide out of position, or give-less-than-optimum fork lock because of their bulkiness.

Brent Foes designed the fork stop, which clamps to the stanchion with a small Allen screw.

The fork-stop's rigid plastic clamp takes up little space on the stanchion and can be replaced without disassembling the fork. Pads will be offered in varying thickness and a host of colors

Loops molded into the band clamps facilitate mounting number plates with zip-ties.

ODI's fork stops are not quite ready for full production, and pricing isn't set yet. Brent Foes estimates, however, that a pair should cost around $10.

Check out ODI's lineup of grips and accessories, and visit Brent Foes to keep track of one of the sport's most prolific frame designers.
Video: Biketherapy
48937 views

For how many bikes I see coming through my shop with horribly dented frames and scratched/damaged stanchions due to something so remarkably simple as an actual, usable, functional, easily replaceable bump-stop is ludicrous. For ten dollars, they'll save thousands. Zip-ties and old tyres just aren't the same as a well-designed functional part such as this, period.
 Just when I thought: Why didn't anyone come up with that yet! Thank you Odi!
 Hooray for old tubes!! For 10 bucks though you really cant go wrong
 but does it some in carbon/Ti?
 Yeah, so these already came on every fork I've had, and have worked flawlessly. To make one that gives you a whole extra 3mm of turning, I'm not sold. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
 Okay, its obviously a useful solution. However, I hate it how in the bicycle world ever single thing can get so expensive by just putting a brand name on it. How can they charge 10 dollars for a piece of plastic?!? And remeber, those companies will only rob you for as long as you let them.
 .... um, your complaining about 10 bucks.?.. it does cost money to power the machines to make these products, and pay for employee's, maintenance, and so on. seems pretty reasonable to me. the cost of the raw material is the least expensive part oof any manufactured product.
 oh really? how come old school 9mm front axles, with nuts and cones, cost 2 euros at my lbs?
 yes really. it costs money to make things.
 @damjandamjan because old school 9mm front axles with cones are exactly that.... OLD and SHIT!
 Well okay, im tired and i dont want to arggue tih you guys anymore. If you want to pay 10$ for this product, go ahead.
 @damjandamjan you're lucky they're at least £10 here but then that's coz the bike industry's out to have all your money
 Damjan, if you want to ride around with big black tubes zip-tied to your stanchions tubes, be my guest. I prefer not to have huge ugly pieces of black rubber dangling from my forks that scratch up the stanchions when they move. So these are perfect.
 I just wrap the stanchion tube in bacon so the grease drips down to the seals and keeps em lubed up nice. Double super bonus.
 haha. and if you get stranded in the woods or just get hungry, you'll always have your emergency bacon.
 I stand corrected. Triple super bonus.
 I like the idea: a positive way to secure the bumper.. But, it seems there's an issue.. under a small amount of rubber, the screw will transfer most of the energy to the frame.. I'd suggest to put the clamping function (and hardware) in a non-impact area, like on the back, so the bumper can do its job without a solid piece of metal in the middle of it..
 Worth a $10 note...that's for sure.
 Indeed. Because its worth way more than say, two bicycle tubes, or a quick release, or a set of cheap lock-on grips...NOT! You should also consider how much of those products you can actually produce at home for zero dollars.
 worth $5 cost to produce $1
 Neat and I like that it has a bolt. Better than slide on.
 Would be cool if they'd have different colours
 Please read before commenting. Taken straight from the article "Pads will be offered in varying thickness and a host of colors."
 So simple, Why hasn't it been thought of before now!?
I guess it's just so simple that it's been overlooked due to it's None evolutional properties.
 cool idea for old frames but ive seen integrated bump stops on frames that are coming out but i love the idea and how simple it is to save the frame!
 only problem is that they fall off. (the ones in the frame)
 The only reason Brent has made these is because of the pricing of the hydro being to cheap to have built in bumb-stops
 I've not once on my DH bike thought to myself; gee, I wish I could've turned my bars 10mm further to make that gnar bit of corner...

Solution to a problem that doesn't really exist, if you can't be bothered making sure your bumpers aren't in the right spot, then you're probably already missing god knows how many other potential problems on your bike.
 stock fork bumpers dont work on all frames. plus they dont always stay in place or they are impossible to get off if frequent service is done on the fork. its not really about turning your bars farther to the side, its about saving your frame.
 Is it just me or that bumper looks ridiculously thin. Having a bolt to hold the thing is clever but having like 2 mm of bumper to cover it is just ridiculous. Popsicle juice your old ones. I promise they wont slip Big Grin
 ATTENTION:
They are way to hard/stiff (as there is almost no rubber on top of the hard plastic) I destroyed my frame using this bumpers!!!
You can use it but don't say I havn't warned you!
 So wait a second, they put the bolt right between where the stanchion will hit the frame? And this is a good idea?
 no, the bolt is just to secure it on the stanchion. the pad goes inbtw
 This design does not make sense to me...sticking a steel bolt in between where the frame will hit the stanchion. My stock boxxer bumpers are about 10 mm thick. 10 mm of rubbery cushiony goodness! Stick a bolt in there, and you'd need 10 mm of rubber on both sides of the bolt to provide as much protection. Maybe I'm wrong and it works fine, but I won't be buying them thanks.
 No one has mentioned the feature of the integrated bands for zip ties The screw between the frame and the bumper isn't going to do anything to your frame. You'll probably bend the screw on a crash before denting your frame..lets be honest. But the feature, which is also a benefit, for most racers, is that these not only protect your frame and fork, but give you more options for mounting a number plate correctly on variable frames without making cuts in to the plate. I think its a good start and some fork manufactures may catch on and start producing a version of their own. remember Marzocchi's direct mount stem? its a step in the right direction.
 I think the price is slightly wrong on these. Its more likely to be around $15.00 RRP.

The rubber bumpers will be available in all ODI grip colours and different thicknesses. There will be sizes to fit Boxxer, 888 and Fox 40. Curnutt XTD version is also likely.

Many of the US guys may not suffer with the same problems the European guys do as when the OE bumpers get wet, they have a tendency to slide & move around, especially in the wet or if you stack a couple of times on a practice run or race run. How many times to you check they haven't moved after a stack? Never! These are designed so you dont have to check as they wont slide.

I do love the mentality of todays rider! OMG, i wont be able to get it unless CRC sell it! OMG! CRC are gods, OMG! You're local ODI stockist will be able to order these quite easily

J
 I fell stupid asking, but what exactly does a fork stop do?
 Instead of your stantion on dual crown forks hitting the frame and causing damage from metal to metal contact when crashing, this thing hits the frame instead. Its the same sort of thing as the rubber bumpers which come with most dual crown forks, except they slide out of place very easily (Especially an old set of Marzocchi's from my experience) where as this thing locks in place and is also a little more compact to accommodate a wider range of movement when turning (you can turn the bars further).

Think of a bottom-out bumper thing on a shock - same idea.
 Ah ok that makes more sense thanks a lot mate Smile
 Never had a stock bumper that has slid or moved out of place on any of my forks, and if I wanted to make the pad slimmer so I could turn the bars a bit more, I'd just cut or grind mine down thinner. Free, and I don't have a bolt right behind the pad that can scratch/dent the fork stanchion in a bad crash.
 sorry for my ignorance. but what are these for?
edit* Nvm lol got it. great idea
 Love the integrated zip tie loops for racing plates. Definitely want a set when I get a DH rig!
 Im stunned.. how can ppl be baffled over something so simulare to the ones already made? If thats innovative, Im a genius Smile
 An expensive solution when a simple cheap one will do. One wrap of Gorilla Tape cut down to slightly smaller than the width of the bumper, done!
 I could make one out of a bit of velcro or a couple of cables ties and an old inner tube for at most £3
 Shame i didn't have these,the squared of face may have saved my frame as apposed the daft wedge shape of old.
 Not quite ready yet......dang. So roughly when can we expect these to be on the market.
 Simple, usable product but really not article worthy. Is it a timer, g-force meter or camera.....no its a fork bumper, but this time with an allen key release.
 i agree. all that paper was wasted on writing this article.
would you prefer, a picture with no info? or a article explaining what it is, how much it is, who is making it and how much it will be?
 If i wanted one, I would look on crc, simples. I dont need to hear a PR article praising a bit of plastic held together with a bolt like its the next big innovation.
 good idea, good product. just make sure it will be easy get in europe. by CRC maybe?
 If its an ODI product then all ODI stockists should have access - Including CRC.
 Excellence by design. Very nice.
 Echoing what others have said, how has this not been done before!?! Also, it looks pretty awesome!
 Holy crap! Someone released something thats usable to the majority of DH/FR crowd! def want and need this asap!
 It is so good, I'm gonna buy one for all my single crown forks too!
 Now that makes sense! lol
 nice one,replace the mile of tape i have to have under my bump-stops, cant see y no ones done this b4
 We Need A Set For the Curnutt XTDS!!!!!!!!!
 Stoked. I work for ODI and didn't know this was in the works. Super pumped on this news.
 didn't get the memo on your TPS report?
 I was in the bathroom, then I went on vacation.
 I proposed this friggin idea to Sunline, to MRP, and Azonic and NO ONE wanted it. Now I'm pissed, annoyed and I have like 241 other ideas that I need to start my own shop to create! I did give 4-5 to Transition Bikes however...
 Chocolate Jenga - you heard it here first!
 @dirteveryday: What do you mean by proposed? Did you show them a working example or just say to them 'It would be cool if...'
 @dirteveryday: sucks for you. maybe should have gotten it patented before showing it to multiple companies
lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+a+patent%3F
 No no, I wasn't after money, I just wanted someone to make them! I have a list sitting here of maybe 40 products. I sent drawings and a pic of a ghetto'd up version to show what I was saying, but it was pretty self explanetory. I wanted MRP to make it as my idea was right up their alley. I wanted to use the the same system they still use for some front deraileurs, the flexible plastic mount that fits multiple sized tubing with a molded on rubber stopper. And in colors of course! Now I am going to buy a rather cheesy looking version because they're cheap and they'll work, while my own design was much more solid and clean...
 I love it, going to run them on all my DH bikes.
 Sick. Ive been runnig ODI products for years.
 Brilliant, simple Idea. I WANT.
 why not to get this: integrated bump stop, bam
 no need...i ride a 2011 Session!!! Razz
 Why no 888 model I don't understand?????????????
 Stops the forks hitting and damaging the frame, Doiiiiiiyyyyy!!!!!!
 Like the part of the zip-ties.
 Would be cool to have fork stoppers built ino frames, ah?
 Starting to see that more these days. Have a look at the Lapierre DH920.
 for 40's and boxxers?
 theyre making them in different sizes to fit different forks
 I would imagine all sizes between 32mm and 40mm
 oooooooooooo, Multicolored forks in the top pic.
 Thats the steerer tube you are seeing.
 Way to go ODI, awesome!