Video: Where The Trail Ends - Director's Commentary

May 1, 2013
by Red Bull Bike

Red Bull Media House, Specialized, and Pinkbike are working hard to help get you prepared for the upcoming bike season. Starting next week, on 5/8/2013 we will announce the first of three #photo contests. For each contest, the grand prize winner will receive a brand new Specialized bike, and 5 runners-up will get hooked up with a limited edition Where The Trail Ends Photo Journal. All you have to do to enter is take a photo following the contest guidelines and post it on Instagram or Twitter with the hashtag provided. You will have two weeks to enter the contest - we’re looking for creativity, unique perspectives, and bonus points for making us laugh. The winner will be chosen by Red Bull Media House and will be posted on Pinkbike.

Stay tuned next week on Wednesday May 8th for the announcement of the first contest, and in the mean time check out the clip above for a behind the scenes look at the making of Where The Trail Ends. Bonus - each week you have the opportunity to get $10 off the Where The Trail Ends 3-in-1 DVD or Photo Journal if you haven't purchased your copy yet. Enjoy!

the best movie ever
 Biking wise you mean?
 Where the trail ends is awesome but.....Have you ever watched life cycles??? I think a much better production.
 That's debatable
 @Lilshredman, there's something other than bikes?
 Don't get me wrong, WTTE is great, and I've watched it more times than I can remember but something about sitting down to life cycles just puts me in a trance and then it ends and I instantly wanna go ride my bike. I think life cycles also represents all of mountain biking better, while WTTE is more freeride oriented (obviously). They're both some of the best movies ever made but If someone asked me to show them what mountain biking meant to me. I would sit them down to life cycles.
 "We spend hours thinking, designing, questioning. All so you can spend a few seconds lost in one moment, no time to think, just reaction, focus. All the worry and want washed away by the rush. When it comes to trails, when the builder puts down the shovel and picks up the bike, when creation overrides destruction. Well, thats living"

They are both amazing movies, i think WTTE shows the freedom of mountain biking a bit better. It shows just how free Free Ride is. And i think Life Cycles goes into Mountain Biking on a deeper level, it shoes the real essence of why we do it, whats going through our heads when we ride. And i think that's awesome because its something that i have always struggled to figure out myself, let alone explain it to other people.

Just my 2 cents.
 Favorite quote/scene of the whole movie, yea that pretty much sums up my feelings as well Big Grin
 ^That quote sends joy through my body! brb, gonna go ride awesome trails!
 You know this was a great movie when they are still releasing videos from months after the release date
 @N3Rd5: so watching WTTE does NOT want to make you go out and shred the trails? I'm confused...
 Strength in numbers for WTTE, see what I did there!
 When the director explains the goal of the movie it kinda makes you think , wow !
 Always loved director's commentary on regular movies so pretty stoked they did this for Where the Trail Ends.

BTW when he's talking about how they wanted to find new places in Utah but other people have been there and they show Sorge hitting that drop, that's in Arizona and you can see that shot in Ride the Lightning with Vanderham hitting it, if I remember correctly. A lil tidbit there for ya Wink
 Just turned the movie on again after seeing this. Makes me want to conquer something my beer gut can handle, like two, maybe three foot drops. while listening to we are wolves of course.
 They should make a part two but it would never be better then this one
 Nah that's a one off .thats why it's so epic
 agreed with superbikes!
 Truly amazing how much work and effort is put into these films !
 The commentary is spot on - on why I loved this movie. Showing these guys crash and fail only to try again and again - pushing their own limits. Seeing Berrecloth so completely frustrated about his inability to do the front flip. Phenomenal movie.
 F***ing Redbull player...
 Utah is amazing! have you been there and actually looked for a place to ride? totally different than any other place for sure! you just have to be creative and willing to do something a bit different. you can ride anywhere, just look around from the roadside even... pick a spine and send it!!!!
 WTTE is so amazing.I am going to search the new place to ride.And now I'm in Ghost Town,Gobi Desert.It is so awesome to ride for freeriding.
 I saw some footage of some pretty mean mountains on Mars. Come on RedBull hook it up!
 My favorite part of Where the Trail Ends is when Andreau says "Thats the biggest hike I've ever done in my whole entire life"
 Blooddy amazing!!!! Love the movie, the best biking movie ever!
 no company is better than RBMH at filming. their stuff is just amazing and perfect
 This movie is insane! But if you want to see something just as good, then check out "from the inside out" its on YouTube
 Or you can buy it.
 Ya, but for the people who can't afford it...
 According to your profile you have a MTB, road bike and a ski set up... you and, I bet, a majority of the kids on this site can afford the extra 20 bucks to support the industry. Sorry but you are scum for thinking that it's OK to support this kind of shit.
 Well sorry bro...and just to let you know, that after I watched it on YouTube, I bought it on Itunes, so yes I still do support the riders and photographers.
 Yeah and yet you suggest people to watch it on youtube instead of buying it... that's supporting it, brooooo.
 Honestly I just typed before I thought, so just relax and let it be.
 I think the coolest think would be, if you have money buy it support the artist's, if you don't have it just watch for free mate! For must of US it's not less 20 bucks.
 Best movie, super production, and 30 TB of footage, wow, that is a lot, great work guys.
 Talent in every which way from film too ridr talent !! Thank"s for takeing me along !
 did they say there was going to be a TV series on this? i hope so.
 I am so happy that I bought one!!!
 Just simply amazing!
 Whats up with the info on them playing this at some local movie theaters??
 Is this a new release or is it just more PR to sell the movie??
 Proper grammar...
 Where in proper grammar do you see three periods in a row? Don't be a hypocrite buddy.
 Lol ^^^ "..." is called an ellipsis but he still didn't use it properly.
 Pretty sure that irlenborna has invented a new word. Prettysick, when two words wont just do, gotta combine that sh*t.
 that was intense.