Sea Otter 2010 - Banshee Spitfire On Video

Apr 15, 2010 at 17:49
Apr 15, 2010
by Mike Levy

We took a minute to sit down with Keith Scott, the main designer at Banshee, to hear what he has to say about their new Spitefire all-mountain trail machine.

Watch the video to learn more about the new Spitfire!

Also inside are new pictures of Banshee's Rampant, Amp, and Legend DH bikes!

Read on...

Watch the video to learn more about the Banshee Spitfire

Banshee Spitfire
Banshee Spitfire

Banshee's Spitfire is built for the rider who earns their turns, but for the express purpose of carving singletrack and finding the flow on the way back down. This is bike is for the downhiller who wants a bike for all day epics, or the XC rider who is looking to get more aggressive than their steep and twitchy cross country machine will let them.

The Spitfire uses Banshee's VF4 virtual pivot system to control it's 5" of travel. A tapered headtube up front lets you run the latest long travel single crown forks if you are looking for something a bit slacker. The head angle can be anywhere between 66 and 68 degrees depending on which fork you decide on and the geometry setting you choose at the forward shock mount. Underneath the bottom bracket shell you'll find ISCG tabs to mount up either a guide or HammerSchmidt system. Frame weight is 6.5 lbs.

Banshee Legend
Banshee Legend

Banshee Rampant
Banshee Rampant

Banshee Amp
Banshee Amp

Visit Bansheebikes.com for more info!

I am going into my 3rd season on my Wildcard with no issues with the bushings. Still works as good as day one. Most versatile bike i have ever ridden.
 Non-tapered 1.5" steerer forks will disappear from the market in months. They did the right thing specifying a tapered headtube.

The Spitfire looks like a great little bike and Keith seems to have his engineering/design priorities right so good luck to them
 All those bike looks very nice but there is something I hate about the Rampant and the Spitfie: The Rearshock should be designed that the shock is mounted in the same direction to the upper tube or "parallel" to the seattube into the ankle of bottombraket. Like it is now, there is an aditional factor of stress for the tube - like benting. I'm also an Engineer and that's not the way how we construct. Of course it will hopefully never break but if you can minimize something, so we do. I thing they did is only for some desing aspects to look unique form all the others, I think.
 That is why the downtube is ovalised to be strong in this direction... no problems with breaking them, and makes it easy to adjust the shock on the fly.
Most versatile bike i have ever ridden.

Wildcard does not have bushings - it runs on sealed ball bearings....
 If you want less travel why not go with the wildcard and k9 cups? the ss geo should be gone thanks to them Wink Or rampart? This is a trailbike so not really a typical uk ripper like some smaller oranges or other 4x fullys

Rampant is NOT a trailbike - the Banshee / Mythic trailbike is the new Spitfire, their old trail bike was the Pyre

the Rampant is Banshee / Mythic's 4X race / short travel freeride frame (dirt jump, pump track, bike park, slopestyle) - Rampant is the prime choice for Banshee's North American / Canadian and Australian DJ / Slopestyle rippers, and European / North American 4x racers

I have been riding the Rampant for 2 years now, and can report its a completely sick bike, check my photo albums to see the horrendous abuse I've given my Rampant on dirt jumps, Winterberg Bike Park in Germany and our new pump track at Esher Shore bike park in England (see next month's MBUK magazine for more info..)

cheers!

Rob C
 i dig the rampant and amp the others r good 2 tho
 sweet that rampant looks sick and its nice to see they got some red guides on the legend MKII show bikes, the green ones looked out of place
 AlpineSlayer If you go to sea otter to try to test one, look for Keith the Banshee Designer and just shacke his hand for me, Alex Banshee France Thanks guy
 Wish I could. Just need to gather some money, so maybe next year. I've been wanting to give a Banshee bike a try, either the new Spitfire or the Scythe.
 banshee kicks ass
 fuck yes they do.
 Why no RUNE? I wanted to see my bike but without all the wear and tear that mine has.
 the bikes look nice!
 nice? they look amazing!! hahaha
 amazing? they look marvelous!
 marvelous?.. naw, I wont.
 haha you have to admit its tempting... might I suggest unbelievable?
 Even better in person, saw all of these today.
 Its a rampart with cross country components basically
 they look so fucking similar
 Yeah different geo, weight and susp really mean nothing. They look similar so they are!
 lol you guys are funny, but I must say them bikes could only be descibed as looking like one thing... A Banshee! lol
 The spitfire is sooo sick!!! i have been on one for a month now and love it.
 Rampant is an AMAZING bike! I ride one myself! Corners, drops, spins, Jumps and rides like no other bike I have ever rdden!
 Wow! The Spitfire looks awesome and the that linkage is so fluid. It seems like Banshee has really stepped up their offerings over the past few years and these new bikes look like a joy to ride. Props to Banshee for putting tons of effort into what looks like some great bikes. Wish I was out at Sea Otter to give these a try.
 yea it's pretty impressive how much they pushed themselves forward. From oldschool Freeride straight to such good and fresh designs. Spitfire looks great and that would be my first pick from their line. It is just a pity that they did not make it with 1,5" head tube all the way up to the bottom, so thanks to k9 industries headset you could have increased control on how you want the bike to ride. Spitfire looks live absolutely great with that metallic colour scheme, but when I saw the white one I was a bit disappointed. White is definitely not the colour for that frame as it looks kind'a cheap with it.
 Waki - for that you have the rune. Spitfire is a lighter duty bike
 Yes I know. But still there are some people out there who can ride fast on a light duty bike without destroying it, and that like slacker or steeper head angles... 1,5 steerer gives you a choice, that's all. And Rune is a regular AM frame. I personaly would like to have a fast short travel frame which doesn't have Slope Style geometry, and to which I can put a 160 fork. When I finf out that the angle is too steep or to slack I can just change it.
 maah, making 1.5 all the way is just giving a choice with a minimal weight gain and with lower production cost. (I ain't no specialist but it seems easier to do a straight tube rather than tapered one - at the same time I believe tapered steerer is a great thing but let's leave it to forks only, leave the frame alone)

tiny loss but more flexibility
 I agree about the 1.5 head tube. I have never used a bike with a tampered head tube, but the weight saved just doesn't seem enough to justify the added cost.
 exactly, but I guess its mostly a matter of esthetics. 1.5 HT is just bloody huge and looks strange under 5" travel bikes. But at the same time it is just better.
 I also prefer 1.5'' ha but from what I rember Keith Scott said about the spitfire on the banshee forum on mtbr is that they didn't go with full on 1.5'' not only for aestetics but not to give the people the wrong idea about the bikes purpose (and looking at the comments - rightly so).
 Ok I forgot I am talking to the DH-Zone chatter so I must care for every single word I am writing to avoid getting b*ched. Hereby I apologize: along with aesthetics I meant also the impression of bike's purpose which is given by the shape/form/presence of elements such as headtube, chain guide mounts, shock type etc... If someone has no idea what kind of bike Spitfire is then he/she should go to LSB and buy a more regular bike from some big company making more normal stuff (trek, giant) instead of browsing web for pretty much specialised custom bikes.
 Chill out - I'm not bitching or have any hard feelings. Were did I offend you? I simply try to have a polite discussion.

As for going to LBS - they have banshees in some shops and that were not my words Wink Don't be so hostile. I was only stating that a 1.5headtube won't change it into something closer to a 4x fully.
 Also - being on dhz doesn't automaticaly make you stupid. You know some ppl have similar stereotypes on pinkbike so it's a kinda double edged sword those stereotypes Wink
 the legend is probably the frame i want most as a dh rig...i would actually sleep with one.
 You'd better order it much before as they are probably shipped using sea turtles. The first batch of them still didn't arrive to the uk :/ It really gets me mad.
 Double check that, I'm pretty sure they arrived the other week.
 Oh in that case I shouldn't bother mailing you. That is great news. Las time I checked was past Thursday and the response was that they will have them this week. Thanks for the up.
 loving the dh bike
 The Legend looks so amazing.
 I love these bikes but the bushing deal I do not. I love my amp!