Course Preview and Practice: FIAT Nine Knights 2013

Sep 3, 2013 at 4:02
Sep 3, 2013
by Nine Knights

Some of the world’s best freeriders have arrived at the mountain bike freeride paradise in Livigno, Italy while the building crew did the last fine-tuning on the course. Upon first sight the athletes were highly impressed by truly unique setup at Mottolino Fun Mountain and eagerly explored every angle of it right away.

Mountainbike Slopestyle

The scale of the setup, designed and built by Andi Wittmann and his team, increased substantially this year and even left some of the pro-riders open-mouthed. The course kicks-off with a five meter drop from the castle which passes over onto a 15 meter super-kicker followed by seven different obstacles in the trail section.

This year’s elite riders list covers the whole range of the sport and features both freeride pro’s like Andreu Lacondeguy (SPA) and Mads Makken Haugen (NOR) as well as dirt heroes like Thomas Genon (BEL), Anton Thelander (SWE) and Yannick Granieri (FRA). Andi Wittmann who tested the course himself has given his sign of approval and raises high expectations. Everyone is very anxious to see what the newcomers, the winners of the Online Video Qualification Tobi Wrobel (GER) and Adrian Tell (NOR), can make of the crazy course.

Mountainbike Slopestyle

On the first day of the event the athletes were already freeriding in top form on the gigantic obstacles, sending floaty airs in front of the sun setting behind the picturesque mountains of Livigno. Many riders already boosted over 5 meters above the lip of the last hip before the wind became too strong for really large airs. Yet this did not hold anyone back and promptly the freeride session turned into a trick jam on the spine where the French man Yannick Granieri and Szymon Godziek unexpectedly pushed the level early. After Szymon stomped a number of tricks he has never landed before, he also sent a perfect double backflip with ease.

We are expecting the first major highlight tomorrow with the arrival of the Flying Bulls helicopter, which will give filmers and photographers the extraordinary opportunity to shoot from above. On Thursday night anyone and everyone is invited to come up to the castle to witness the sensational Public Night Shooting. All freeride-enthusiasts should take the once in a lifetime chance to see the best mountain bikers in the world riding the castle on Mottolino in Livigno from 20:00 onwards. The one-week session culminates on Saturday´s Public Contest which will feature all FIAT Nine Knights athletes and some more selected riders who will guarantee an unprecedented visual experience. Don’t miss out on this.

Get all Info to the event here:
www.nineknightsmtb.com

Upon closer inspection that sword does indeed look like a sword. There was some confusion in the previous article and it was mistaken for a peni$.
 I stood there last weekend... We also wonderd why there is a giant peni$. We thought we have to look closer but this thing just looks like one.... one large ... you know...
 The Pinkbike community has exhaled a sigh of relief upon seeing a giant sword and not a dong!
 .... Now that you mentioned it though....
 Sweet, Stoked on seeing the final result, shame soderstrom cant ride
 Him and Rheeder
 i wish the would just have a proper POV preview of the coarse, rather than mixing all of those slowmo shots for dramatic effects.
 Of coarse !
 Of coarse that wood make cents!
 Oh deer.
 Course* haha. Damage has been done though
 Eye sea what ewe did their.
 That course, is almost as good as rach talking about her knickers!
 I would love to see Anthony Messere hitting that spine!
 That may be a nice promo of the event, but definitely not a decent track preview... do they have to change the camera all the time!? I still can't feel what's the track like.
 This is one of the best looking courses i have ever seen, cant wait to watch it.
 Nine Knight should be diamond event of FMBWT next year.
 No Nine Knights shouldn't become a contest in the FMBtour..
 Agreed with Jo Cr !
 Same as last year... This is covered with way too many sponsors. This whole event is just a commercial. Just add it to the dew tour instead of the FMBTour. At least the the Claw event is by the claw and has real sponsors. Fiat, really?
 Shut yer hole.
 Nice comeback...
 Nah but it's supposed to be pretty chill, not all out like crankworx, it's not even on the FMB tour so I don't see why you're complaining.
 You're right, it's not like crankworx and that's fine. I guess I just don't like the gimmicks of it. The idea of castles doesn't match well with little economy cars in my mind.

To me, this event screams sponsors, not riders or chillin'...

For example: was this event happening before sponsors showed up? or did it just come out of a marketing guys butthole?
 Fair enough FIAT'S a pretty shit sponsor for a freeride event but maybe it's a fairly low key event compared to others, to me this contest seems pretty chill, I'm not into the whole castles' and shit idea, but it's a cool event nonetheless. No it didn't come out ''a marketing guys butthole'' but I'm sure it was an idea which was sent to sponsors for approval first. No one wants to run an event and have no money/budget surely?
 This is flipping burly. Props to the guys who not only ride this but compete on it. Looking forward to the contest.
 He sounds so happy about the boner log
 It must be awesome being able to ride jumps that big, it looks sooo fun,
 Course looks cool. Too many slope style events are glorified bmx dirt jumping and don't seem to make use of the mountain bikes riders are using.
 If I were a sponsored guy at that event I'd definitely take a 180mm FR bike and a Slope/Jump Hardtail.
 I think nine knights always pulls it off but then agian I can't ride stuff like that so I really wouldn't know lol
 I hope they make a highlight edit as good as last years! Smile
 The things I would do to be able to ride this course...
 have they put a stretched FOV on this video???
 Its shot on go pros, just real wide angle
 anyone know the song by any chance?
 theres an app for that... its free
 Shazam wouldn't detect it for me so was hoping someone would enlighten me Smile
 Is Semenuk gonna be riding this track?
 I dont think so. Hes only doing diamond events and a couple gold events
 DISCLAIMER: TROLL!!

spot too big, cash too small: Semenuk won't ride.
 Actually he cut down his contest season by nearly half. Hes doing more filming this year for redbull and freeride entertainment instead of contests
 And yet he hasn't been putting out many edits or life behind bars episodes...
 I agree so far ive been quite dissapointed with the lack of vids from semenuk. The life behind bars episodes are half as long this year! But im excited for the night shoot
 You know what? This ''Night Shoot'' episode will get pushed into like the 5th episode, after the first I thought it'd be the second, then the third, now the fourth... I can't believe it's September and we're just getting footage from the Whistler opening. *Facepalm*
 Am I the only one who picked up on the missed fist bump?
 haha, is that what we sound like?