Ladies Only

Jul 8, 2010 at 10:00
Jul 8, 2010
by Sanesh Iyer

Have you heard about the new Ladies Only? Well, you have now. It's been re-done, and now it's even more fun that before.

Adam Yunker & thought it would be cool to tribute a small article and some photos the one of the greatest builders and trails of all time.

May I present Todd "Digger" Fiander & Ladies Only!

Pics from photographer Adam Yunker

First roller, wraps around a rock, casual but fun.
First roller, wraps around a rock, casual but fun.

My favourite part of the trail.
My favourite part of the trail.

Look closely and notice that the root is intertwined with the rock work, that is definitely something that a lot of thought and effort was put into.

Hike a Bike
Hike a Bike

This section was a pain to hike up, suppose I should've waited for the photographer to setup! Oh well it's all in the good spirit of getting the perfect shot!

Coaster Time!
Coaster Time!

Ladder Bridge roller coaster section, three nice whoops in there, again casual, but tons of fun. Replaced the so called "Shitcoaster".

Riding Blind
Riding Blind

Why do I love this shot? It just reminds me of how the trail was for me that day...Blind thanks to the sweat of all the pushing up I had to do!

Reduce, Re-use, Re-Route!
Reduce, Re-use, Re-Route!

And of course the re-route, biggest change to the trail, Digger did a great thing here and re-used parts of the Shitcoaster to build a bridge around what was the gnarliest and an extremely dangerous part of the trail. Thanks for that buddy!

This trail is one of the best on the shore by far, it encompasses a full skill range. If you want a nice, casual shore ride with lots of ladders, this is your trail. And you can thank Todd "Digger" Fiander for that too. He's been building and pioneering some of the best trails and stunts, he spent two months on Mt. Fromme re-building this trail for all to enjoy. And we are all forever thankful! Thank you Digger for the amazing trail, and all of the other amazing ones.

If you guys like the photos give Adam Yunker his well deserved props! Or shoot him an E-Mail at spokedmedia@gmail.com!

Huge thanks goes out to North Shore Bike Shop, Banshee, & Race Face for the bike and offering tons of support for all of us!

this has to be one of the most fun trails i have ever ridden...i rode this trail hours after Todd had finished building it way back in 1991!!! We owe alot to Digger he is a humble and friendly man. The only condition for riding his trail was that i dont go heavy on the brakes, and to have fun and dont tell too many people. thanks Todd for some of the nicest memories i have of the shore
 good to see thanks being given to digger!
 2 months straight, actually. 450 hours was his 2010 Ladies Only hours tally last time I spoke to him at WEA.

Please edit out "shitcoaster". That's a derogatory term used by a few people to describe something that a very dedicated and respected local trail builder spent many hours constructing. It didn't fit with the "challenging yet accomodating" all-season nature of the trail, so out it came. Had that stunt been built on Espresso, UOC, Starfish, Diggers, Boundary, or any unnameable, it would have been regarded a great addition and a fun challenge on dry days.
 I don't call it the "Shitcoaster" because it was a bad piece, I found it fun, but scary..."Shitcoaster" is, as far as I know, what we called it because it scared us shitless. It was a fun stunt without doubt, but scary.
 his bike looks awesome in the dark with that light on it!
 Todd did some great work. I think the 'other' roller coaster was lower. When we rode it last this work was already finished and you could see the remnants of the other coaster todd took down.
 Just like everyone else, I must give major props to Digger. His rebuild on Ladies has given it new life and major flow - especially for a shore trail. Amazing work - Thank You Digger!
 To me, this is one of the greatest trails in the world... half because of momories on the trail, but also because of the lines and effort put in by the trail builders, and the histroy it has. Great article.
 I was trying to decide what trail to ride tonight, now my mind is made up. Man I love living here!
 It's not a Flamingo, its a Heron.
 Used to be a flamingo....faded lots over the years.
 well i think its a beaver with wings and a beak, but realllly faded
 why are you riding in the dark?
 they have no lights so buddy just doesn't know how to use his flashes properly yet
 Hmmm, did it ever occur to you that I wanted my pictures to look like that? I like it for the fact that it puts more emphasis on the rider and gives the photo more of a darker mood....
 IMO the last one portrays that mood quite well. Not super fond of the other ones because they don't show too much of a story. But keep on shooting!
 Mad props to Digger. Nice work up there buddy. Can not wait to lug my butt up Fromme and give the new and improved Lady a go.
 Flamingo is still there, only the sun has faded it out to white/grey. I just rode that trail for the first time yesterday, and I thought that bird was real LOL
 I had my camera out and everything stoked to be so close to one and then realized, oh shit! this isn't real lol Such an awesome trail! Props to digger!
 hell yeah, cant wait to get back to vancouver... good job to those who worked on it
 one of my faves on the shore made better. nice work digger.
Adam, like your new flash?
 congratz on homepage sanesh its cole, btw more fun *than before XD
 Really nice track work! Totally like the roller coaster section.
 I have to ride this!!! And see this Flamingo Big Grin
 that shitcoaster was fun actually...good job tho guys!
 Good work guys!
 i hate Fromme because of the cardio for only a few minutes back down and lungbuster up again if you want to do more! but having said that, after seeing this i will reconsider attaching a walker to my Tranny Bottlerocket and going up Fromme again - i admit i am spoiled by shuttling up on the Coast and Whistler and prefer 'flow and go' to the shores endless 'stunt and stops' but i suppose even at 67 [in 3 days ] i need to keep it real now and then and haul my wrinkled bum up something else besides my cardio workout up Heart Attack Hill the super steep but whitebread trail from Spanish Banks to UBC endowment lands -
 Climb Fromme three times in the same week. After that it'll come to you quite easily! Fromme is definitely different riding to everywhere else, teaches you lots too though.
 Killer, Adam servin up some sweet shots
 Digger is a crafty man, the Flamingo is there to distract you & make you fall!