Adam Billinghurst: Just Some Guy That Rides Bikes

by Anthill Films

Adam Billinghurst is a Whistler local and a featured rider in Anthill’s new film Strength In Numbers. Adam lives to ride the Whistler Bike Park and has done so for 13 years. His commitment to living his dream is an inspirational story that revolves around the park and a man’s love for his downhill bike.

Last week, Anthill Filmmaker Jonathan Schramm asked Adam some questions to find out exactly... “Who is Adam Billinghurst?”

Who is Adam Billinghurst? Where did you grow up? When did you start biking?

Adam Billinghurst is just some guy that rides bikes. From Bracebridge Ontario. Couldn't ride a bike till I was 6. Started MTB at 12. Racing at 14.

Photo Colin Jones

Why Whistler? When did you move out to Whistler?

I visited Whistler for 3 days when I was 16 to ski, decided it was the place for me to live. Moved here in September '98.

What has got you to where you are now?

Doing almost whatever I wanted has got me to where I am now.

Why are you stoked on the life you live now?

I’m stoked on life because I live in paradise, have amazing people in my life, and I do what I love to do.

What is your perspective on your future?

My future involves more biking, some ups, some downs, then death.

Photo Colin Jones

What does it take for you to follow your dreams?

To follow your dreams you have to have them first.

What advice would you give someone working towards his or her dream?

Just because you've found a dream to follow doesn't mean it's going to be easy. If you love it enough you'll keep doing it.

Describe your bike?

My Session 9.9 is bicycle perfection. I watched it more than my TV for the first several weeks I had it.

Photo Colin Jones

Describe the role your bike plays in your life?

My bike plays the same role as oxygen in my life.

What is a great day for you in the bike park?

A great day for me in the bike park is a full day of riding two days after a heavy rain followed by sun. Twenty degrees (Celsius!). Four pack of shredders. No line-ups. Riding as fast as I possibly can.

How has it been having early access to the carbon session?

Getting the carbon Session 9.9 early was insane. People stared. It stopped conversations in the line up. It was like I was riding a carbon unicorn. After waiting for it to be built I was literally shaking with excitement. I got it and sprinted to the lift. I couldn't wait to shred this rare machine. As the lifty unloaded my bike the chairlift stopped with me 10 feet away from the unloading zone. I instantly jumped off the lift to the ground and climbed up to get my bike and sprint to the trail. True story.

Are you a happy person?

I am a happy person. I'm also a lucky person.

Photo Jordie Lunn

Anthill Filmmaker Jonathan Schramm
September 29, 2011

Production for Strength in Numbers is currently underway. Learn more at:
anthillfilms.com/strengthinnumbers
facebook.com/anthillfilms
twitter.com/anthillfilms
______________________

Strength in Numbers is a new feature mountain bike film that will be released Spring 2012. Strength in Numbers is presented by the Red Bull Media House, Shimano and Trek, in association with Contour HD, Clif Bar, Pinkbike and PRO Components. Additional support for the film is provided by the Whistler Mountain Bike Park, Kona, Toyota Trucks, Scion, Evoc, Big Mountain Adventures, Verbier St. Bernard and Ride Nepal.

Anthill Films is an award-winning action sport production company based in Squamish, B.C. Anthill is owned and operated collectively by Colin Jones, Darcy Wittenburg, Darren McCullough, Ian Dunn and Jonathan Schramm.

"My future involves more biking, some ups, some downs, then death."

Awesome. Bumper sticker coming soon?
 would be ace, I really wonna go ride right now ! but gotta got to school first Frown
 If school is your dream, then thats what you should do...Hahaha!
 Living in whistler , thats what its all about!!
 It is extremely rare that I comment on comments made to pinkbike but in this case I feel a certain responsibility. I have known Adam for over 10 years and have had the priveledge of being his friend and supervisor/boss on and off for those years on behalf of Whistler/Blackcomb and more recently Gravity Logic. I can assure anyone who thinks Adam is a trust fund kid, you are wrong, and anyone who thinks he is a drain on society you are equally wrong. Adam is on of the most passionate, hardcore cyclist I have ever met and has a work ethic exceeded by noone. Every penny spent on bike equipment he has earned with sweat and passion and if a bike manufacturer gives him an incredible price on product, believe me he has earned it. With Adams intelligence and work ethic he could be riding around in luxury vehicles attending parties for the rich and famous but instead he rides his bike to the grocery store, eats meals at home instead of out, goes to the local rec centre instead of pub and has focused his life on his true love, downhill biking at the Whistler Bike Park. He coaches kids throughout the summer and is an extremley great role model for the youth of Whistler. Congratulations to every bit of success Adam has achieved and let him be a model for how you can enjoy and live life to the fullest.
 Well said! Thanks to you, and others, for helping set the record straight.
 Adam taught my kids to ride back in the day and is a great role model for them and everyone else for that matter. He is a great rider and one of the funniest, friendliest guys in the park. He will invite me to do a run with him even though I'm the worst rider in whistler. I'm glad for all the success and recognition that he has received.
 Billinghurst is the man, plain and simple, guy shreds; livin' the dream.
 agreed, this guy is a total pinner...first time I rode Whistler he blew by me in the air...every time I go there I see him pinned like no other. It's about time he was in a good production for the World to see. I hope we see a lot more of him, super stoked to see this article.
 Adam Billinghurst is the real deal. Everytime I've EVER been to the Whistler Bike Park, I've seen Adam absolutely pinned...for 13 years...with or without a chain. He also has some of the best one liner Facebook status comments ever. Can't wait to see his segment!
 No job? then how the heck do you pay for that lamborgini of bikes? nice Session guy.
 i do not understand that aswell...
 ever think he may of inherited money. one of my friends just inherited $2million and a $3million estate in New Hampshire. He never has to work a day in his life, and hes 16....id much rather know that i earned what i buy though
 its kinda senseless to mention that you have no job when your anyways rich...
 'He never has to work a day in his life' Eh, I would anyway. That money isn't going to last forever.
 brush up on your dishwashing skills I say...
 Adam is a living god and i wish more people were like him. Founder of www.theearthodyssey.com, this guy is the farthest thing from a "dirtbag". He say's he "owns nothing" at the start of this clip, fail. He owns a passion for riding bikes and has been able to live a lifestyle of doing just that...something so many people around the world are now envious of you for. I'd say if you can live in Whistler for 13 years and ride your bike as much as humanly possible with "no job", you should be writing a book about how you did it. Keep killing it Ads, kill em' all
 where does the money come to fund this?
 wondering the same... Maybe he works at whistler or something?
 he is living the dream. his oxygen quote was damn right too.
 This video sums up my ambitions, Live and ride bikes, regardless of fame or sponsorship. Just ride
 Props to you my friend!
 That's what I'm thinkin' about Wink
 Never knew Billinghurst was from Bracebridge. Muskoka Lakes representing on the west coast!
 Gotta love his short simple answers. Who needs Plato to describe life when you got a bike?
 I can see it now if we had machines of today back in Plato's world- "Hey someone give this guy a bike". We probably would have saved thousands in printed pages of philosophy. His most famous quote would be; "Ride a bike, that's what life is about".
 "Like the turns of the crankset, so are the days of our lives" or was that Socrates? Same difference
 AB is a Whistler legend, great dude, amazing coach.
 This guy has got it all figured out by having the guts to live up to his dreams! I love his short but meaningful answers Big Grin
 he basically lives my dream. my only current holdup is permanent Canadian residency.
 Can't believe there are still people that think something is "free".Comedy.
 i still have to understand how does he earn a living,but that guy got the answer to life.
 that guy is just simply living som many peoples dream...mine included ride on buddy
 Adam forgot to mention that "Dr.Gee" was his inspiration for riding! That's fine, I'm not a unicorn, I get it.
 that camera in the first pick looks like its soo heavy it could cause neck injuries
 Thinking about the 'mechanics' of it - how does he fund his dream?
 If you listen to the words again as he's talking you'll see that he lives very modestly and gets by. I know that Adam serves in the winter and is a coach for SGC in the summer to help fund his lifestyle - he is also a bad ass pump track builder who's small company builds the odd municipal park - best of luck to him in the future.
 I was thinking the same thing, how do you have a Trek 9.9, TLD kit?? And I did listen to the words, "I don't have a job", at the beginning. How do you go to the doctor when you go down? Where do you live? Eat?? Kinda makes the entire story a little unrealistic.
 You guys would be surprised how little you really need to get by if you put your mind to it. Try being a "dirtbag" for a while. It's pretty rad. Cook your food yourself, buy in bulk, live cheaply and take care of your few possessions. Don't buy all that stuff you want but don't need. You would be surprised how far you can go on little to no money.

I don't have a job, per say. I am a student and I scrape by. I ride my bike, go to class, build trails and love my life. Give it a try for yourself. Don't go into debt to buy your toys and you'll never be held back.

@Byrd, if you go down and you have no money, there are systems to take care of you. Medicade in the states and a functioning social healthcare system in Canada..
 Try being a dirtbag?? Cook your own food?? Take care of your possessions?? You have to have money to buy your food. You have to have electricity to cook your own food. But from you other comment you most likely depend on a social system to provide what you need to survive. I'm aware there is medicaid, but I guess I have different morals. You see those programs are for people who need help. Not people who are leeching on society because they choose not to "take care of themselves". In order for there to be money to help those whom can't help themselves someone else has to go to work and pay taxes. Those same taxes also provide trails like the Bent Creek system, and Pisgah Nat. Forest that I'm sure you enjoy.

I'm not trying to take anything away for the guy, I would love that lifestyle. And one day I hope to live like that. But I also live in reality, where people with new 5K bikes whom don't have jobs are SPONSORED. If not by a company then by mommy and daddy.
 As far as Medicare goes he is Canadian and we get free Medicare as mentioned by rootsrockpisgah above.
 @byrd all canadians get healthcare, its part of there taxes and all that. its not like america where only the poor get it paid for
 There would be no free health care if no-one had a job. On a totally different point, if you are a nice person, and you have a high profile in the riding community, you don't necessarily have to podium in pro men to get discounts or free stuff. I am very sure this guy is not paying retail prices, or even anything close.
 Byrd- I am a dirtbag- hence my handle, but I have to agree that keeping your debts small and doing things like cooking and buying in bulk help you lead your ideal life. For me it was the 4 1/2 month BC bike road trip this spring/summer instead of buying that Tacoma I want. As far as the leech on society comment- we spend more per capita than any other "developed" county in the world, yet we have a very high infant mortality rate, and have tens of millions without insurance. WHY?? Because we are a bunch of greedy money grubbers that don't care about the health of our neighbors. Pretty sad.
Stoked to check out the vid!! Glad to see more people getting the spot light!!
 if my future job was to be anything in the world apart from fmba world champion it woud be his
 I got lessons from him at whistler, such a cool guy
 thanks to all for the mind numbing social commentary .
 I'm with you on the sleeping part
 up, down, dead?

yes please!
 dude i wish i could live at whistler all year long! stupid school Frown
 what a great life!