Aaron Gwin's Prototype Carbon Trek Session

Jun 30, 2011 at 14:38
Jun 30, 2011
by Mike Levy

Aaron Gwin putting the new Carbon Trek Session to work during a rainy practice day at Mt St Anne. No specs on the bike. Likely about 35 lbs with that ti spring and other light weight tricks that Monkey has been known to pull keep weight down. Now gossip amongst yourselves with speculation...
Photo by Colin Meagher

One of the most speculated upon rumors in the forums (as well as one of the worst kept secrets...) has turned into reality with a sighting of Aaron Gwin's prototype Session race bike at the muddy Mont Saint Anne World Cup event. Not a whole lot is known at this time, but it is clear that at least the front triangle is carbon. Word is that Aaron wasn't exactly hanging about for the photogs to shoot his new machine, jumping off the lift and rolling right into the course. We'll have more photos and information soon!

Stay tuned to PB for more details!

So hes already taking 5 seconds off the other top pros and now hes going carbon, there is no hope
 dude i kno right?!^^^
 what about a carbon Tr450. haha thatd be sick
 Thaaaat's what he needs. Now he'll shave time off and win, oh wait... The competition is already being teabaged regularly by Gwinn... And really Trek? A lighter DH frame?
 Actually now there's some hope...that his frame snaps in the middle of his run...
 Shame on you, spyretto. Shame on you.
 You know you can get carbon clothes, god forbid gwin finds out about it!
 @spyretto thats a ridiculous comment and lets be honest, carbon is alot stronger than ali :/
 Ok...my bad.... I meant in the end of his run...
 It is stronger yes, but what about little rocks flying towards the frame?
 u've been hit by one of those Big Grin
 lol
 carbon looks cool though
 spyretto its not like its weak Carbon you stupid fuck!! it could be even stronger!
 i wish My collar bone was carbon fiber and I wish I had spares
 one of mines titanium now Smile
 carbon demo needs to happen now
 Its coming now when trek does something inovative specialized has to match it, Demo carbon is soon on its way.
 After that, a carbon Glory?
 carbons obviously the new up and coming thing in DH then!
 *Apparently* Carbon Demo and Carbon Glory (don't forget, Giant make the carbon V10 for SC) also in the works, currently in testing but not race ready. 2012/13 is going to be massive for carbon DH.
 Cant see why a carbon demo isnt in the works... its not like spesh havent used carbon before on a million other frames.
 Carbon glory would be bloody light - It's already lighter than a carbon V10^^
 Cant see no problem that Specialized & Giant whanna hop on the carbon DH bandwagon to keep up with Trek & the other top brands that are having carbon DH bikes,carbon DH frames are the next big thing in DH for the next 5 years to come.
 It was Giant who made thecarbon v-10?

My 2008 glory works well Big Grin

Carbon Glory will be a Dream!
 Carbon is expensive and fragile. Unless you got cash to spare id stay away !
 ^^Not when ts engineered correctly.
 All it takes is one hit in the right place. Then the structural integrity of the frame is compromised !
 Same would happen with an aluminum frame .... DERP
 I know what you mean Rohaan. I just weighed my 2011 Glory 01 and it weighed in at 39.12 lbs. which to me is super lite for a DH rig. The carbon bikes are going to be lite but what about the life of the framr, and the price?
 Giant doesnt make the V10c. and who knew CF is fragile. wow
 youtu.be/Y_O9PLorYPA

check this out you guys, carbon fiber for the win!
 Carbon frames can be repaired. They've been repairing road bikes for years - can't see why MTB isn't any different. As someone pointed out above - in testing the V10c was the first frame they couldn't break. GT hit the Fury's downtube with a hammer and broke the hammer's handle.
 screw that video
 I heard the V10 carbon broke the machine that tests the frames to distruction.
 carbon is way sexier too
 "Now gossip amongst yourselves with speculation..."
 I know right? Watch the comments for this get nutty as usual...
 Any publicity is good publicity. We're talking about it, so that's free advertising for them.
 Rumored frame cost is around 3500 to 4ish. Complete bike near 7. The frame is super strong and the major kinks have been worked out of the sessions through tons of r&d money. Very reliable source...
 i dont think my parents will be happy if i sold the house to buy one..
 Trek session 88 carbon...mmm...I guess it would be tested in an air tunnel as well, as the 'alu' session 88. mmm carbon & air tunnel...apart Gwin who's gonna ride this bike Michael Schumacher.
 By the way, apart from Santacruz, Trek has a carbon frame as well and it's riders are on the process for its development. So, why the MS-Evil guys don't do the same with the 'undead' carbon frame?
 This bike its sick!!!!! for sure the bike to have next year, and remember boys Trek already have been maing the best carbon road bike for many years, it was about time they used the knowledge for their DH rigs. This looks like my next bike.
 Not just road bikes - they've made excellent XC race bikes too. Before I had a full-suspension bike, I raced my club DH races on my XC race bike - Trek Pro 9600 Carbon hardtail. I put riser bars on it and a shorter stem. That was such a strong frame. When, after years of racing, it had to go into the trash I laid the frame sideways on the ground and stood on the rear stays thinking they would snap. They didn't. I had to jump up and down on them real hard to make them go. The rest I couldn't brake no matter how hard I tried so I had to use a hacksaw. Very strong frame. Mind you, back then Trek carbon frames were made in the USA, but I guess now they will be made in Asia.
 All Trek OCLV is made in Waterloo, as far as I know. I think Gary Fisher OCLV was made in Asia (ex. '10 Superfly 100), so it's a possibility. Funny that the '10 Superfly (mainly in size 17.5) had issues with its chainstay bridge cracking due to the layup method used... with such experience, I personally think they'll keep it made in USA.

Will Brandon Semenuk get a carbon bike next? Big Grin
 For all the carbon haters out there why does easton have a two year unconditional warranty on their carbon rims???And the V10 has more than proven itself in carbon. If carbon is used for strenght and not weight loss the results are awsome!!
 dam my session is light now i cant even image a carbon one!!
 Perhaps Trek went the GT Fury way and made it the same weight but stronger.
 Err, that's my photo you've pinched there!
 sorry i only shared the links. that's not my "mtb-news" account. if you want i ask the admins to delete my comment
 He didn't mean you prevail, he meant mtnbyker.
 The photo has been taken off of PB, but yes the credit goes to Dirt-HQ for the pic...
 people who are worried about carbon bikes should actualy ride and crash one repeatedly, i own a second hand scott ransom which is three years old and i've put into a number of trees, stumps, rocks, and other solid objects and the frame is still in one piece, unfortunatly my outer chainring lost a quarter of itself the last time i hit a tree, but the frame is still in one piece and fully functioning.
 I don't get where people get the idea that carbon is so weak, on the moto's we use it for skid plates and other protective guards with the intention of smashing it between rocks and 200+ lb bikes. The stuff is incredibly strong
 Trek must feel really happy with their geo to start making tools for carbon molding.

I really never gave their FS bikes a look until they started using their ABP design. I rode a few, and I'm starting to favor the fairly stable neutral balanced feel of their bikes. After riding a few bikes with more new-age, aggressive geo, which felt good doing one thing, but felt weak in another, I feel like I should just go back to the balanced bike. I really haven't felt that since the days of riding my entry level bike over a decade ago, which is still one of my favorite bikes (Giant ATX 860, the blue Tomac endorsed one). Not really a fan of some of the rear biased long travel bikes (a lot of my weight seemed placed over the rear) and, of course, not a fan of front biased bikes (if you put a beefy tire on the front of one of those, OMG do they feel like they're being dragged).

I kind of regret not giving their Remedy a better test ride. When I got on it, it felt like it had no personality. It looked great, with an awesome color scheme, but it didn't give me any feel like some other bikes gave (accelerates fasts, agile through tight twisty trails, stable enough to inspire confidence at speed, etc etc). I have picked up a number of bikes now, after getting sucked into the hype of new age suspension and geo, but miss having one bike that simply handled it all that was fairly light and looks great and has great support from a LBS.
 carbon frames and bars are well established for DH now.. next are rims and cranks.. how long until fork lowers/steer/crown assemblies?... in short time we'll see 30lb legitimate DH race bikes... crazy.
 Dorados, and the new X0 parts? Razz
 yah the new xo dh cranks are carbon
 we just got the 2012 easton catalog into our shop and they are offering their havoc wheels in carbon....
 So anyone notice a certain name that keeps showing up anytime someone speaks positively about carbon? mikenash is spamming the site up.
 yah seriosly i wasent even being positve about it i was just stating a fact...o well if he wants to go out of his way to neg prop me i guess he has his right
 mikenash your a weener.
 35 LBS ???? How can one feel safe hammering through steep rocks at that weight ? SICK !!!!
It has to be a joy to toss around at speeds though !!
My XC bike is about that ......
 Me Gusta Eek
If, I mean when this beast hits production I will pray to the frame Failure gods to grant me favorable warranty outcome for my 2011 88
 theyre gonna start making replacement bones out of carbon soon.... or screws.
 Specialized probably has greater technology than the US government...haha they are just working on them behind closed doors to release the best thing at the best moment.
 Yeap hugliest graphics, looks like tomac's influence too, maybe if he wins the champs he will earn to put an eagle like the tomac's
 NOM I want! Gwin on the win again hopefully at MSA!
 good patriotism
 Haha sorry but even as a brit I have to say the guy is incredible! I don't know how he's pulling these crazy wins but man its good to watch
 Hart, Peat, Atherton. Dream podium.
 Funkymonkey knows where the moneys at!
 He's a Gwinner
 Eastofski has it right, except Gee on th top, not 3rd...
 you cant deny it
 wondering why Gwin has really stepped it up since leaving Yeti...was the 303 holding him back THAT MUCH ?
 Hes only started DH a few years ago so every season he got way better. I dont think it was holding him back but Trek has a lot more money in there program so he got better trainers in the off season and he put in a lot of work and its really paying off. the 303 WC is a awesome bike that for all i can see wont hold anyone back since the rear wheel goes straight up and can go over things faster because of that.
 I have been thinking the same
 lets just hope the proto works well and maybe we will see one in the future as a production item
 buddy of mine had a carbon trek hardtail in 98 and beat the crap out of it . it held up im sure its still going today
 I'm waiting for some chump to comment: "So how much will it cost?"
 I am sorry but the v10 carbon is not made by Giant. Carbon is the future! Very nice bike, Trek has done a great job.
 i had an idea there was a carbon trek going about now when do these thing get up for sale to a get one
 they were testing a 88 29er prototype i wonder how that is going
 well now the WC season is going to be really predictable...
 the trek was about £4000 new, nows you can get it for like double the price Big Grin
 Not necessarily. The carbon V10 was only marginally more expensive than the alu one.
 gwin on a carbon DH rig? unstoppable!
 You dont know the specs of the bike yet? Its simple. Everythings the same on it apart from the frame is carbon.
 Still I see no reason to replace my Demo...
 Yeah baby Big Grin I knew it would happen eventually! So stoked
 my dh bike has carbon Big Grin
 whats the weight of the trek now?
 my mates session 8 (brand new stock '11) is bout 39lbs
 My bike is made from gold pressed latinum.
 carbon demo and corbon V3 thats what the world needs
 Wasn't he running one in practice at Fort Bill???
 i love gwin, but he has one of the ugliest helmets of all time
 your really gona judge a rider by his helmet?
 no, i said i love gwin, and i really do. I just dont like the graphics of his helmet
 ahh shit my bad missed that must have been drunk or really really tired
 Is Gwin on flats? Those other pictures shot flats.
 look closley at the other ones theres a clip there
 Forget the M9 This will be the bike to have.
 still don't like how it looks