by Connor MacleodTitle image
by Dave Silver
Hurtin' for Vert 2009 Stats:
• Total Distance Ridden = 121 km
• Total Elevation Gained by Bike = 10 000'
• Total Elevation Lost by Bike = 27 600'
• Total Hours Slept = not enough
• Total Pilsners Drank = way too many (Drank turns to Drunk at this point)
• Total Richie Schley Putdowns for not Coming out = nowhere near enough
Hurtin' for Vert 2012 Stats:
• Total Distance Ridden = 142.3 km
• Total Elevation Gained by Bike = 10357'
• Total Elevation Lost by Bike = 37769'
• Total Hours Slept = not enough (trend from 2009)
• Total Pilsners Drank = way too many (still trending...)
• Total Richie Schley Putdowns for not Coming out = He came and killed it with us
Looking back at our trip, it truly was amazing that 14 plus riders could ride for four days on the terrain that we did and we only suffered a few minor mechanicals, besides flat tires (and once again, we had our fair share of those). All mountain bikes continue to get more and more refined and it's a great time to be a mountain biker with all the advances in parts. Three years ago, half of us on the original trip had dropper posts. This year, only one of us showed up without one - times keep on changing. Three years ago, the bikes' travel was all over, from 100 to 180 millimeters, but looking at this year's rides, the 160-millimeter travel bike seems to have the stranglehold. That's what a lot of my riding friends are on. Also noted in 2009, was that all the bikes were 26ers - and today in 2012, they still all are 26ers, no 29ers or 275 (650B)s in the lot. What will the stats say next time we all get together? I can't speak for the bikes, but I can guarantee big smiles, long miles and more Hurtin' for Vert.Check all Dave's pics here.
Check all Smoke's pics here.
Check out the Hurtin for Vert Riders here.
Check here if you missed Part 1
Check here if you missed Part 2
Check here if you missed Part 3
Check here if you missed Part 4
Trips like Pinkbike's Hurtin' for Vert can't happen without a great group of riders and an equally amazing support group like Specialized Bikes, Bush Pilot Biking, Rocky Mountain Bikes, Pilsner and Pinkbike.com. Thanks a ton for your support in making this year's adventure all time, we all appreciated it.Extended thanks go out to the our friends that helped along the way to:
-Steven and Hilary Patterson in Kamloops
-Chris Post and crew in Merritt
-Dangerous Vince at the Eldorado in Kelowna http://www.hoteleldoradokelowna.com/
-Kurt Flaman and Freedom Bike Shop http://freedombikeshop.com
-Andrew Drouin http://sweetsingletrack.ca and PACA http://bikepenticton.com
-The Lower Similkameen Indian Band
..and of course our lovely and talented ladies, Barb Haley, Kim Mullins, and the incomparable Chevy.
See you all on the next adventure, wherever and whenever that may be. Until then, keep Hurtin' for Vert!