Club Scrub

Club Scrub logo
Name Club Scrub
Type Trail Association
Website
Geo
Address
2
no votes yet
write a review
In 1942 the federal government opened Camp Murphy. It was the home of the Southern Signal Corps School during World War II and served as a U.S. Army base for instruction in radar operation in the early course of the war. The post was named in honor of Lieutenant Colonel William Herbert Murphy, a pioneer in the development of radio beams and equipment for military aircraft.

Camp Murphy consisted of 11,364 acres and accommodated 854 officers and 5,752 enlisted men. The camp had close to 1000 buildings that included a bank, movie theater, church, and bowling alley.

Camp Murphy was officially decommissioned in 1944 and used for migrant housing during the fall and winter of 1945. Buildings not already dismantled after the camp's deactivation were sold and carted away beginning in 1946. On June 9, 1947, the property was transferred from the U.S. Government to the State of Florida for a State Park.

In 1950 Jonathan Dickinson State Park opened to the public.

Nearby Riding Areas

titletrails
Camp Murphy 6 14 428 trails
Halpatiokee Regional Park 14 418 trails
Dyer Hill 8 215 trails

Review Club Scrub

No reviews yet, be the first to write a review!

Login or Sign Up to write a review.
You must login to Pinkbike.
Don't have an account? Sign up

Join Pinkbike  Login



Earn Trail Karma by Donating to the Local Trail Association

help fund trail maintenance and development
Donate

Recent Donations

usernameamountdate
Lvfmk1$25 USDNov 25, 2018
asphaltpilot$10 USDAug 5, 2017
promote this listing