Are Superstar Components good?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Are Superstar Components good?
Posted: Dec 20, 2011 at 2:57 Quote
Nope, that is the email i got back from them ^^^ marquis asked for it yesterday to forward into here

i ended up getting some sunline v1s and iv hit those far more and just as hard on rocks, trees.. all sorts of stuff and they are holding up no problems at all.

Posted: Dec 20, 2011 at 4:07 Quote
curly-haired-invader wrote:
Nope, that is the email i got back from them ^^^ marquis asked for it yesterday to forward into here

i ended up getting some sunline v1s and iv hit those far more and just as hard on rocks, trees.. all sorts of stuff and they are holding up no problems at all.

Hello we clearly state at the bottom of the email you recieved that if you feel the part is faulty - you need to return it for inspection.

If you dont send it back to us we cant actually do much to help you?

Obviously if it is crash damage that wouldnt be covered under any brands warranty, but we do offer every part as a spare if you need to fix something. You need to contact us if you have an issue.

Regards, Neil (Superstar)

Posted: Dec 25, 2011 at 12:53 Quote
forgot to mention the free haribo, the service you get is top notch.

Posted: Dec 25, 2011 at 12:56 Quote
You should make some offset shock bushings and an angle adjusting headset and sell them me Wink

Posted: Dec 25, 2011 at 19:53 Quote
Alright so I got my Overdrive front hub and although it hasn't been laced to a rim/rode yet, I'm impressed by the quality for the price. The hub guard goes on super cleanly as well. I'll let you guys know how it is once I've rode it for a while

Posted: Dec 26, 2011 at 9:40 Quote
That's a different company spbmx. Superstar Components are a British company doing mtb parts.

Posted: Dec 26, 2011 at 11:00 Quote
jackculpan wrote:
Marquis have you owned a single component from Superstar?
he has not.

Posted: Dec 26, 2011 at 11:43 Quote
Got to say I've had nothing but good experiences with Superstar - DH Wheelset still true after 2.5 years, pedals the same (although according to Marquis, it's a wonder) and a bunch of other stuff still going strong. They don't claim to sell the absolute best parts, just good parts at a good price. If you have loads of money and can afford to buy nothing but Thomson, Chromag, etc, then more power to you. I don't, so I'll keep using SSC - in fact, I'm just going to order a new stem! How are you liking the Zenith stem, Daire? I can't decide between that and the Zephir.

Posted: Dec 26, 2011 at 11:56 Quote
we're all in the same boat steezy. We all would love to be riding I-9, Chromag, Thompson, Straitline, but we cant, so superstar components do the job perfectly

Posted: Dec 26, 2011 at 12:21 Quote
Can people help me decide.... Im about to buy a pair of 203mm floating rotors from superstar but what colour do i get. Ive gold hubs so am tempted to go for gold rotors however i have anodised red parts on my bike so do i go for red instead? thanks for your input. jim.

Posted: Dec 26, 2011 at 12:30 Quote
bighitjim04 wrote:
Can people help me decide.... Im about to buy a pair of 203mm floating rotors from superstar but what colour do i get. Ive gold hubs so am tempted to go for gold rotors however i have anodised red parts on my bike so do i go for red instead? thanks for your input. jim.
Go for red

Posted: Dec 26, 2011 at 12:44 Quote
curly-haired-invader wrote:

So basically, you broke a pedal (shit happens, nothing special really), then had the option to see if Superstar would warranty it (which is mentioned in the e-mail) but instead bought new pedals right away... rich people...

Marquis, you seem to have very little experience on Superstar's stuff. If your friend breaks one pedal that might have been a faulty one, it doesn't mean the whole brand sucks. It just doesn't. The pedal should had been sent to Superstar and maybe your friend would had gotten a fresh pair of pedals that would had been reliable like most of them seem to be. The other option is obviously that the pedal would had not been replaced and your friend should had paid for new ones.

The problem is that you don't know what would had happened and therefore you really can't tell if the brand is legit or not.

The other problem you wrote about (the stripped allen key portion of an axle) might have been the owner's fault and it could had happened with any other pedal. Anyway Superstar has a lot of spare parts in stock, which seems pretty legit to me.

The quality of Superstar's products sure isn't at the level of... let's say Straitline, but for their price it isn't supposed to be. But saying that the products are weak 'cause of the price or two f*cked up pedals isn't that smart, especially when the company has provided a clear reason for the price (a reason that has nothing to do with materials, manufacturing etc.)

For me it looks like Superstar's products are at the level of other mainstream brands' components. I also haven't heard a bad comment on their customer service. In the end tho I've only run their brake pads, so what do I know.

Posted: Dec 26, 2011 at 13:54 Quote
Steezysix wrote:
Got to say I've had nothing but good experiences with Superstar - DH Wheelset still true after 2.5 years, pedals the same (although according to Marquis, it's a wonder) and a bunch of other stuff still going strong. They don't claim to sell the absolute best parts, just good parts at a good price. If you have loads of money and can afford to buy nothing but Thomson, Chromag, etc, then more power to you. I don't, so I'll keep using SSC - in fact, I'm just going to order a new stem! How are you liking the Zenith stem, Daire? I can't decide between that and the Zephir.
Dont have either of them just yet, ordering a Zenith this week though with some descent bars. Id prefer the Zenith because its more AM than XC and its nice to have a good stiff stem. Ill be getting the 50mm and ill let you know how it is when it arrives. Plenty of pics will be posted haha

Posted: Dec 26, 2011 at 13:57 Quote
deli-hustler wrote:
bighitjim04 wrote:
Go for red
think youre right!, might look a bit odd if the hub gold and the rotor gold are slightly different!

Posted: Dec 29, 2011 at 10:45 Quote
question for Neil, planning on ordering the DHX wheelset in the next few days, along with a custom switch evo front and rear on dh595 rims for my brother because he likes colours. whats the difference between the DHX rims and the 595 rims is my question basically. and whats this i've heard about free truing?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.093959
Mobile Version of Website