Are Mag Pedals a bad idea?

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Are Mag Pedals a bad idea?
  • Next Page
Posted: May 11, 2010 at 11:21 Quote
JokerMachine wrote:
Magnesium cracks more easily, so if you're hitting your pedals on rocks all the time, I wouldn't advise them.

It corrodes more than aluminum as well.

RUBBISH, i've had the same pair of onza hognesiums on my bike trials bike since the last bike show at the birmingham nec which i think was 20004. Being a trials bike they've been smashed into rocks, smashed into walls, used to hold me on things, taken loads of jumps, drops and falls and aside from having no pins left on one side of each pedal and being rather scratched they've held up absolutely fine.

Pure magnesium is very malleable but the magnesium alloy used in pedals is very durable and very lightweight. I've never even once worried about my pedals dying and if i had the funds i'd upgrade my v12's to magnesium bodied ones with Ti axles in a heartbeat.

If you have the cash, go for it.

Posted: May 11, 2010 at 22:43 Quote
Well I decided to pass on mag and went with the Deity Decoy. They're nice and big, sealed bearings, slim-profile concave shape, removable pins, and rebuildable. They were a snap to install with an allen wrench instead of the usual wrestling with a pedal wrench. Picked them up today, threw them on, and took them on some drops and jumps. These things are exactly what I wanted, really grippy and of course first day out I did get some cuts on my calf after one crash. Durability remains to be seen, but I'm happy so far. I hear their customer service is pretty good, which is good peace of mind just in case.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010580
Mobile Version of Website