Dartmoor Bikes Owners Group

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Dartmoor Bikes Owners Group
Posted: Jul 10, 2015 at 7:36 Quote
ProfessorSchaftenberg wrote:
yo13bo wrote:
I got over it pretty quick this morning when I unboxed my new bike Big Grin Giant Reign Advanced 1.

Yeah,cause Giants are really unique and not mass produced or anything

Oh, you weld your own frames yourself?

Posted: Jul 10, 2015 at 12:34 Quote
LindLTaylor wrote:
yo13bo wrote:
I got over it pretty quick this morning when I unboxed my new bike Big Grin Giant Reign Advanced 1.

Not at all.
Just saying they are unimaginative and are like a swarm of locusts round here.
Those and Cubes

Posted: Jul 10, 2015 at 15:53 Quote
LindLTaylor wrote:

Not at all.
Just saying they are unimaginative and are like a swarm of locusts round here.
Those and Cubes

Sooooooo many Santa Cruz at the trails here, like 20:1 of anything.

Posted: Jul 10, 2015 at 15:54 Quote
The one brand of bike I don't see too often where I ride is SC. Shit tons of Spesh, Giant and Cube though. Seen a few custom frames out there but mostly all big brand bikes. Even Bird bikes are becoming more common now.

Posted: Jul 10, 2015 at 17:58 Quote
We have a lot of NS bikes around, out of my group not too many Giants, Yeti seems to be the flavour of the month.

I work at a Giant dealer too, so if I can get staff pricing on a bike that would otherwise cost $5600, I'm going to be leaning towards that.

If the alternatives were more affordable I might have considered them, but the equivalent Intense is about twice as much, and I don't like the geo of the Yeti. I have been looking at replacing the Dartmoor for a long time, so I've done the research, the Reign was the closest to what I wanted, and I could get one at the right price. I am sorry my uncoolness has inconvenienced you.

Posted: Jul 10, 2015 at 18:34 Quote
Meh I don't personally care what bike you ride as long as you like it, that is all that counts. I think the Reign is a superb bike, especially if you can get a cheeky discount! I only went for the Hornet because I didn't have enough money for the frame I wanted at the time.

Posted: Jul 10, 2015 at 20:42 Quote
Update on my Hornet. Just ordered some XTR M985 cranks (all be it 88BCD and not M9020 because they don't come with BB OR Chainring which is a complete rip and sets you up for an almost £400 setup.) for it. Needed to buy a new chainring but the purple RF was kinda doing my head in anyway. Love the look of these cranks. Only need to find some XTR crank tabs and it will be good as finished. Just need to trim the hoses. Might as well post it again haha,

photo

Posted: Jul 12, 2015 at 0:06 Quote
That looks awesome, love the look of those forks, matches the frame really nicely.I'm looking at buying a Hornet frame myself, but I'm quite confused about the size, I'd primarily like an All-mountain/everyday MTB, but I'd also like something I can rip the local DH tracks with, which involve lots of jumps.I'm 182cm tall, should I go for the 18" or the 16" frame? I'm willing to sacrifice downhill performance for an overall more comfortable long-distance ride, that's why I'm more inclined to go with the 18" frame Smile .I'm coming from an oversized XC hardtail, so it'd be an improvement towards descending fun either way Big Grin .

Posted: Jul 12, 2015 at 0:25 Quote
Could've gone for zee cranks I got mine with a 36t ring although not NW and BB for £68 plus they're designed to be run as 1x Wink

Posted: Jul 12, 2015 at 2:04 Quote
@ berryz On the advice of other hornet riders on Pinkbike I went for the medium when I bought mine and that advice was spot on. I'm 186cm and the large would be too big for sure, defo more XC whereas the 16" is perfect AM territory. Dropper post, 160mm fork, 1x10 drivetrain with 40t expander and you've got something you can pedal all day that will eat up the descents like a champ.

Posted: Jul 12, 2015 at 8:22 Quote
Jaymot wrote:
Could've gone for zee cranks I got mine with a 36t ring although not NW and BB for £68 plus they're designed to be run as 1x Wink

Why would I downgrade to Zee? Everyone knows when you get XTR anything you gain 100% more skill and speed.

Posted: Jul 12, 2015 at 8:23 Quote
had a great day on the trails today.. realy love my hornet tup
Dartmoor hornet
Dartmoor hornet

Posted: Jul 12, 2015 at 8:25 Quote
RyanWensley wrote:
Jaymot wrote:

Why would I downgrade to Zee? Everyone knows when you get XTR anything you gain 100% more skill and speed.
nah.. xtr... buy some race face cranks... the name alone makes you wonna shred it hard Whip Big Grin Big Grin

Posted: Jul 12, 2015 at 10:05 Quote
azura87 wrote:
RyanWensley wrote:
Jaymot wrote:

nah.. xtr... buy some race face cranks... the name alone makes you wonna shred it hard Whip Big Grin Big Grin

Naa, was going to get Next SL's but there are a few reports of unstoppable creaking in the non-drive side crank. Cannot be dealing with that BS.

Posted: Jul 12, 2015 at 14:30 Quote
Quetzalcoatl wrote:
@ berryz On the advice of other hornet riders on Pinkbike I went for the medium when I bought mine and that advice was spot on. I'm 186cm and the large would be too big for sure, defo more XC whereas the 16" is perfect AM territory. Dropper post, 160mm fork, 1x10 drivetrain with 40t expander and you've got something you can pedal all day that will eat up the descents like a champ.
Thanks for the advice, the only thing that I'm worried about is the excess seatpost that I'd have to run above the seat tube in order to climb comfortably, hope it won't affect the seat tube/seatstays, I've had seatstays crack on me on 19" frames.The frame sure does seem to be long enough, I just hope I won't feel like a giant on the bike Big Grin .Plus, I don't have the cash for a Reverb right now, so that'll be a bit awkward as well.
@azura87: Looks awesome, did you hit that jump? Smile

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.024454
Mobile Version of Website