Dartmoor Bikes Owners Group

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Dartmoor Bikes Owners Group
Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 7:08 Quote
Bike078 wrote:
akosiayban wrote:
Hi guys! I am new here. I am planning to buy the Hornet 2020. This will be my first bike. I still have not seen the frame in person since I will be purchasing it online. I was advised by the seller that I need the small sized frame since I stand around 5'4 - 5'5. I am just kind of confused since my friend knew a fellow rider which has the same height as me but rides a medium sized Hornet. Please advise.

I would say at your height go for the small. The medium would probably be a bit long for you. I'm about 5'7" and ride a medium. I was deciding between a medium and small but decided on the former because I wanted to try a longer bike.

This is noted! Thank you very much! Smile

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 11:06 Quote
Anyone put a Shimano 12 speed on a Primal or Hornet yet? Just got a 2019 Primal 27.5 frame, and I can't figure out if I'm better off with the SLX 7100 or SLX 7120 cranks.

Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 8:37 Quote
Phuaad wrote:
Anyone put a Shimano 12 speed on a Primal or Hornet yet? Just got a 2019 Primal 27.5 frame, and I can't figure out if I'm better off with the SLX 7100 or SLX 7120 cranks.

I am currently building up on a Shimano 12 speed setup for 2019 Hornet, which has a 142x12mm rear axle. Building on a XT 8100 lineup, I have to go with M8100-1 uniquely (non-boost configuration).

The frame on your Primal differs on the rear, as you have 148x12mm (boost) axle. For Shimano SLX lineup this practicaly means, that you can go with FC-M7100-1 or FC-M7120-1 cranks, as they are both compatible with the boost configuration. I can suggest you should go with FC-M7120-1.

But you know, ride your way Smile Smile Smile .

Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 8:55 Quote
jazzythemost wrote:
Bacteria wrote:
I just started building up a Dartmoor Hornet. So far with a:

Frame (Green stelth, size L 2019),
Fork (Manitou Mattoc pro, 2019),
Wheelset (DT Swiss M1700, 2016)
Stem (Answer Atac Ame 50mm)
Handlebar (Answer Expert 720mm)

Would like to ask you guys about the headset - Do I have to go with Dartmoor Blink? Asking you, since I found a bargain for FSA IS40/IS52 headset.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I also have L hornet with Manitou Mattoc pro Big Grin Although i have to say being 1.93 cm / 6.3'' I find the hornet L a bit to cramped... Also i would suggest going Plus wheels since the hornet is quite harsch..

Nearly there... Just to get the SH-M8100 XT grouspet and it'll be finished. As for the sizing, I am 184cm so I guess I'll be doing just fine. The stem is of a reasonable length, and the frame itself seems right to me, as it is. My only concern is the width of fork (plus handlebars with 5'' rise). Seems too high for uphill, but maybe it is just because I never rode a 27.5 frame and a 160mm... Nevertheless I am enjoying getting there Smile Will post afterwards.

Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 16:20 Quote
"Would like to ask you guys about the headset - Do I have to go with Dartmoor Blink? Asking you, since I found a bargain for FSA IS40/IS52 headset."

I got the Brand X one from CRC for like $18. Just popped it in today and it seems to fit just fine.

O+
Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 16:28 Quote
Phuaad wrote:
"Would like to ask you guys about the headset - Do I have to go with Dartmoor Blink? Asking you, since I found a bargain for FSA IS40/IS52 headset."

I got the Brand X one from CRC for like $18. Just popped it in today and it seems to fit just fine.

There are in some odd cases some headsets with the standard spec and they don't fit. But it's like a minimal 0.1-0.2mm of extra metal that can make them hard to fit.

Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 22:19 Quote
zmcycle wrote:
Phuaad wrote:

There are in some odd cases some headsets with the standard spec and they don't fit. But it's like a minimal 0.1-0.2mm of extra metal that can make them hard to fit.

Exactly, what I was talking about. But I have to say, that the FSA fits well. Found it cheap on eBay for 21 dolls...

Thanks

Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 23:57 Quote
can a 165mm steerer fit on a primal 2019? or is it too short?

Posted: Nov 30, 2019 at 14:50 Quote
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum as well as to the Dartmoor family. In past few weeks, as I was waiting for my Hornet frame to arrive (honestly, this frame is a bargin...), I've red most of this topic - mostly becouse I was very curious about how will my custom build turn up, and since its finally here and assembled I would be glad to present it to you.

As previously stated, its Dartmoor Hornet frame, built with Fox 34 Kashimas, Sram GX groupset (except XT cranks), E13 TRS wheelset, Deore brakes and my best-buy item this year: Brand-X Ascend XL 170mm dropper (same as for frame - bargin, and its working flawlessly since last January.

Here is a pic of fully assembled bike

Dartmoor Hornet

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2019 at 16:44 Quote
zeljko92 wrote:
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum as well as to the Dartmoor family. In past few weeks, as I was waiting for my Hornet frame to arrive (honestly, this frame is a bargin...), I've red most of this topic - mostly becouse I was very curious about how will my custom build turn up, and since its finally here and assembled I would be glad to present it to you.

As previously stated, its Dartmoor Hornet frame, built with Fox 34 Kashimas, Sram GX groupset (except XT cranks), E13 TRS wheelset, Deore brakes and my best-buy item this year: Brand-X Ascend XL 170mm dropper (same as for frame - bargin, and its working flawlessly since last January.

Dartmoor Hornet

That's an awesome build!

Enjoy the ride!

Posted: Dec 10, 2019 at 15:17 Quote
Hi, I’m looking at getting either a hornet or primal and just looking for input as to which one. I ride 75% xc including racing, on most of the rides I stop off at dirt jumps (6’ tall by 15’ gap average) and do some bigger freeride drops up to 20’ and the occasional day lift access downhill. Will the primal hold up to bigger stuff or is the hornet good for xc too?
Thanks in advance.

O+
Posted: Dec 10, 2019 at 15:47 Quote
dhrider3 wrote:
Hi, I’m looking at getting either a hornet or primal and just looking for input as to which one. I ride 75% xc including racing, on most of the rides I stop off at dirt jumps (6’ tall by 15’ gap average) and do some bigger freeride drops up to 20’ and the occasional day lift access downhill. Will the primal hold up to bigger stuff or is the hornet good for xc too?
Thanks in advance.

I personally ride a hornet. I think if your looking for something that is going to work for the more aggresive stuff the hornet is the choice. The only downside is that at 160mm with the head angle it can be a little bit annoying on climbs but as long as you stand over the bars the climbing isn't that bad.

If your concerned more primarily with the XC stuff then primal. But if you're going to hit agressive stuff, as long as you have the 150mm of travel you should be ok, but honestly based on your description, the hornet will be so much more suitable for what you are after in terms of the jumps and lift access DH.

On the way down the hornet is just such a blast it rides like a FR machine.

Posted: Dec 14, 2019 at 13:38 Quote
Anyone selling a 2015 Hornet 26 frame? Large.

Posted: Dec 14, 2019 at 15:09 Quote
zeljko92 wrote:

Dartmoor Hornet

What travel forks do you have on this set up?

Posted: Dec 17, 2019 at 6:37 Quote
Twebster720 wrote:
What travel forks do you have on this set up?

Its a 160mm.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021826
Mobile Version of Website