Collaboration video project - Amateur Videogragher group

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Collaboration video project - Amateur Videogragher group
Author Message
Posted: May 25, 2010 at 5:13 Quote
SpikeX wrote:
ih-sam wrote:
SpikeX wrote:
Actually, it was kiwihardtail's idea as far as I'm concerned. Here is the first post on the subject, at the bottom.

The segments idea isn't the best, because people will be majorly disappointed if they spent weeks on their section only for it to be rejected. We wouldn't know who's filming what, where, and it wouldn't fit together if we don't know that.
How about you tell the people straight up who aren't going to be in the film now then, we can't string people along for ever then crush their hopes at the end by preventing them from filming, at least with this idea the segments that don't make the cut are going to be really good videos that the filmers can be proud of.

Because I don't know who's in it or not, nor is it solely my decision to make.
It should really be kiwi's decision and whoever is putting the thing together (I imagine that is you). Could I just ask why Shasta is involved in the organising of the project (not a slight on him, just curious as to his role).

Posted: May 25, 2010 at 5:18 Quote
ih-sam wrote:
SpikeX wrote:
ih-sam wrote:

How about you tell the people straight up who aren't going to be in the film now then, we can't string people along for ever then crush their hopes at the end by preventing them from filming, at least with this idea the segments that don't make the cut are going to be really good videos that the filmers can be proud of.

Because I don't know who's in it or not, nor is it solely my decision to make.
It should really be kiwi's decision and whoever is putting the thing together (I imagine that is you). Could I just ask why Shasta is involved in the organising of the project (not a slight on him, just curious as to his role).

Well, kiwihardtail sent out the first e-mails to myself and Shasta, so I assume it's because he wants Shasta in on this.

Posted: May 25, 2010 at 5:21 Quote
SpikeX wrote:
ih-sam wrote:
SpikeX wrote:


Because I don't know who's in it or not, nor is it solely my decision to make.
It should really be kiwi's decision and whoever is putting the thing together (I imagine that is you). Could I just ask why Shasta is involved in the organising of the project (not a slight on him, just curious as to his role).

Well, kiwihardtail sent out the first e-mails to myself and Shasta, so I assume it's because he wants Shasta in on this.
I see

Posted: May 25, 2010 at 6:00 Quote
SpikeX wrote:
Actually, it was kiwihardtail's idea as far as I'm concerned. Here is the first post on the subject, at the bottom.

The segments idea isn't the best, because people will be majorly disappointed if they spent weeks on their section only for it to be rejected. We wouldn't know who's filming what, where, and it wouldn't fit together if we don't know that.

People will have to man up then. This industry is a tough one. Your work has gotta be good enough to get you far. In television, if your work isn't good enough, it isn't shown. Simple as. And there, you're paying thousands for hire of equipment etc.

If it doesn't get chosen, they can still upload it everywhere they want. That way the film gets the best segments from a variety of people.

Why does it matter if you don't know where people are filming and when?

Posted: May 25, 2010 at 6:06 Quote
timlake wrote:
SpikeX wrote:
Actually, it was kiwihardtail's idea as far as I'm concerned. Here is the first post on the subject, at the bottom.

The segments idea isn't the best, because people will be majorly disappointed if they spent weeks on their section only for it to be rejected. We wouldn't know who's filming what, where, and it wouldn't fit together if we don't know that.

People will have to man up then. This industry is a tough one. Your work has gotta be good enough to get you far. In television, if your work isn't good enough, it isn't shown. Simple as. And there, you're paying thousands for hire of equipment etc.

If it doesn't get chosen, they can still upload it everywhere they want. That way the film gets the best segments from a variety of people.

Why does it matter if you don't know where people are filming and when?

That is a good point...

Well, the locations have to match up in some way. What I'm concerned about is if we pick out all the best sections, that a lot of them just won't work together, or they won't have any consistancy between them. Then our little 'movie' would look like a bunch of 3 min edits they could find on PB all mashed up together. It would have to flow together like a proper movie. If it doesn't end up looking good, I don't want any involvement in it, and I'm sure that's true for a lot of others.

Posted: May 25, 2010 at 6:09 Quote
SpikeX wrote:
timlake wrote:
SpikeX wrote:
Actually, it was kiwihardtail's idea as far as I'm concerned. Here is the first post on the subject, at the bottom.

The segments idea isn't the best, because people will be majorly disappointed if they spent weeks on their section only for it to be rejected. We wouldn't know who's filming what, where, and it wouldn't fit together if we don't know that.

People will have to man up then. This industry is a tough one. Your work has gotta be good enough to get you far. In television, if your work isn't good enough, it isn't shown. Simple as. And there, you're paying thousands for hire of equipment etc.

If it doesn't get chosen, they can still upload it everywhere they want. That way the film gets the best segments from a variety of people.

Why does it matter if you don't know where people are filming and when?

That is a good point...

Well, the locations have to match up in some way. What I'm concerned about is if we pick out all the best sections, that a lot of them just won't work together, or they won't have any consistancy between them. Then our little 'movie' would look like a bunch of 3 min edits they could find on PB all mashed up together. It would have to flow together like a proper movie. If it doesn't end up looking good, I don't want any involvement in it, and I'm sure that's true for a lot of others.

How do you want the locations to match up? It's going to be hard for most of us to travel long distances...

Posted: May 25, 2010 at 6:14 Quote
I can't help but think Britain doesn't look much like New Zealand, which in turn doesn't look much like California.
There needs to be some connection between segments but not in terms of location. I mean why couldn't you have similar types of riding shown back to back to illustrate the connection between the segments but the difference between locations.

Posted: May 25, 2010 at 6:21 Quote
ih-sam wrote:
I can't help but think Britain doesn't look much like New Zealand, which in turn doesn't look much like California.
There needs to be some connection between segments but not in terms of location. I mean why couldn't you have similar types of riding shown back to back to illustrate the connection between the segments but the difference between locations.

I didn't clearly convey my point about locations. I meant something along those lines.

Posted: May 25, 2010 at 6:48 Quote
SpikeX wrote:
ih-sam wrote:
I can't help but think Britain doesn't look much like New Zealand, which in turn doesn't look much like California.
There needs to be some connection between segments but not in terms of location. I mean why couldn't you have similar types of riding shown back to back to illustrate the connection between the segments but the difference between locations.

I didn't clearly convey my point about locations. I meant something along those lines.
are you talking like one segment would end with DH so you wouldnt start with the trials section, youd start with a DH trail. or am i missunderstanding.

Posted: May 25, 2010 at 12:52 Quote
Ok guys, if we want this to be a more casual affair then a mass upload would work, everyone just has to choose a song from one source. My vote is for Jamendo. Then from there we make sure no-one has titles or credits on their segments so that someone like me or whoever is keen can go through and add a whole bunch of the same style to tie it all together.

Vimeo will probably work best for uploading a compressed version so that we can choose the segments that work together the best, but we may want to use another service for exchanging the uncompressed final sections.

If we are to go ahead with this everyone needs to shoot 1080 or 720p at 25 fps. I'm keen if everyone else is. if this is a success we could do it bigger and better later on. Who knows?

Posted: May 25, 2010 at 12:55 Quote
Sounds good!

What is this Jamendo thing?

Posted: May 25, 2010 at 12:55 Quote
kiwihardtail wrote:
Ok guys, if we want this to be a more casual affair then a mass upload would work, everyone just has to choose a song from one source. My vote is for Jamendo. Then from there we make sure no-one has titles or credits on their segments so that someone like me or whoever is keen can go through and add a whole bunch of the same style to tie it all together.

Vimeo will probably work best for uploading a compressed version so that we can choose the segments that work together the best, but we may want to use another service for exchanging the uncompressed final sections.

If we are to go ahead with this everyone needs to shoot 1080 or 720p at 25 fps. I'm keen if everyone else is. if this is a success we could do it bigger and better later on. Who knows?
Sounds like a good plan, it would definitely be easier than passing around harddrives and whatnot.

Jamendo is also good, if people want to search for music on there and then post it up here I will pool it in the OP so then everyone can see what they can use.

Posted: May 25, 2010 at 12:56 Quote
timlake wrote:
Sounds good!

What is this Jamendo thing?
BOOM

Posted: May 25, 2010 at 13:03 Quote
Oh and on another note people will need to email the passwords to whoever is picking the final sections so random people can't see the sections.

Posted: May 25, 2010 at 15:41 Quote
kiwihardtail wrote:
Oh and on another note people will need to email the passwords to whoever is picking the final sections so random people can't see the sections.
how will you edit it if its on vimeo? and i dont know if i can shoot 25p. pretty sure my cam only does 29.970. do u just want me to render it as 25p?


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013729
Mobile Version of Website