Should i SS my Norco Shore?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Should i SS my Norco Shore?
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 14, 2010 at 11:11 Quote
my question may seem unorthodox but here goes. Im thinking of singlespeeding my norco shore, and i think it would be good as i could free up money tied in my bike for other things e.g. sale of mech, shifter, cable. I use it for everything from dh all the way to being a commute bike its fine with it all.
just looking for opinions/thoughts? should I? or shouldnt I?

photo

Posted: May 14, 2010 at 11:21 Quote
Wollis wrote:
Definately not

why though? im mixed on the idea.

Posted: May 14, 2010 at 11:58 Quote
I just don't see the point in doing it really, its a mini dh/fr bike and 9 speed is pretty handy if thats what you're using it for. If it was set up with gearing that would make commuting a viable option then I can't see it being good for the purpose it was made for. Also a bike with that geo, travel and tyres is never going to be good at commuting in my opinion. And how much money are you gonna get from selling a second hand shifter, cassette and mech? Which you'd have to buy again if/when you don't like it.
Here's three pretty sound reasons why, but hey its your bike and you can do what ya want with it. Wink

Posted: May 14, 2010 at 12:05 Quote
Here's a thought: leave your bike in one gear for a whole day and that will give you a general feel of what it's gonna be like to ride around on a singlespeed Shore.

That being said, I can tell you this much right now - it's going to feel like crap and you will be able to go exactly nowhere on it. Uphills will be torturous and downhills will be slow and mostly coasting.

Posted: May 14, 2010 at 12:07 Quote
If the only reason worth mentioning is to free up money, I would say no.

Used drivetrain components aren't worth jack all unless its high end stuff that is a couple rides old. Just look at the prices on used components and do the math, it isn't a whole hell of a lot.

Posted: May 14, 2010 at 12:15 Quote
I do have a tensioner and single speed kit with which to test out the idea of running single speed, and the componants i have are pritty high spec: mech: Sram X.0, Shifter: Sram X.9, Cassette: Shimano Dura Ace. On the commuting front, it pedals extreamly well it does not bob as much as other freeride bikes do and at its current weight 35.75lbs approx -its lighter than my old meta and much stronger.

Posted: May 14, 2010 at 12:22 Quote
Ok, it would appear that you're totally bent on the idea of doing it. So do it.

Posted: May 14, 2010 at 12:31 Quote
JokerMachine wrote:
Ok, it would appear that you're totally bent on the idea of doing it. So do it.

Agreed.

Posted: May 14, 2010 at 12:35 Quote
i wont sell the gearing yet. as i want to test going single speed for a while and see how it is in all conditions.

Posted: May 14, 2010 at 14:02 Quote
So if you have all the parts, are willing to do it, and you really don't care what we have to say about the whole thing, why did you even bother posting?

Posted: May 14, 2010 at 14:37 Quote
JokerMachine wrote:
So if you have all the parts, are willing to do it, and you really don't care what we have to say about the whole thing, why did you even bother posting?

just to see whether there is point in doing it and if anyone else has done it with a full suspension bike (i saw a single speeded furious a long time ago)

FL
Posted: May 14, 2010 at 15:09 Quote
preston-rider wrote:
JokerMachine wrote:

just to see whether there is point in doing it and if anyone else has done it with a full suspension bike (i saw a single speeded furious a long time ago)

Yeh a lad I ride with did with his fully for a bit, but he had to use a full sus specific tentioner as the chain tension changed as it went through its travel.

Posted: May 15, 2010 at 1:27 Quote
im trying to remember which make do full sus related tensioners is it yess products? i dont know.

Posted: May 15, 2010 at 2:23 Quote
JokerMachine wrote:
That being said, I can tell you this much right now - it's going to feel like crap and you will be able to go exactly nowhere on it. Uphills will be torturous and downhills will be slow and mostly coasting.

I would say no because of all these reasons.

I broke my gear cable one day, and I didn't want to stop riding, so I just rode in the one gear for the rest of the day and it was horrible. I was in a great gear for DH but the uphills were tretorous. It took as long to ride up as it would to walk.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010942
Mobile Version of Website