Learning to 180 bunny hop

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Learning to 180 bunny hop
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 16, 2010 at 16:24 Quote
alright well ive been trying to learn to 180 bunny hop on my mountain bike, im getting the spin down easily but i cant land it. im landing really hard on my rear tire which makes it really hard to roll back

any tips pls.

oh and im buying a new bmx soon and just wondering whether it will be a lot easier to do this on it

Posted: May 16, 2010 at 16:52 Quote
DJ-rider49er wrote:
alright well ive been trying to learn to 180 bunny hop on my mountain bike, im getting the spin down easily but i cant land it. im landing really hard on my rear tire which makes it really hard to roll back

any tips pls.

oh and im buying a new bmx soon and just wondering whether it will be a lot easier to do this on it
WAY EASIER. Bmx are shorter which makes the spinning weight less. also the bmx is prolly lighter to begin with. But ya, Learn to do 180's in 1/4 pipes helps a lot. Or just on banks for that matter. I can't do it on a mtn bike, but I don't have a lot of trouble on a bmx.

Posted: May 16, 2010 at 17:18 Quote
You want to shift all your weight and look behind you then hop and tuck and the bike should follow, Try doing it off a curb.

Posted: May 16, 2010 at 17:20 Quote
Stoked-Commencal wrote:
You want to shift all your weight and look behind you then hop and tuck and the bike should follow, Try doing it off a curb.
I disagree as I can't yet do it from a curb. do it to grass. That way its not so bad when u fall. I JUST learned to rollback out like 2 days ago.

Posted: May 16, 2010 at 17:23 Quote
VTwintips wrote:
Stoked-Commencal wrote:
I disagree as I can't yet do it from a curb. do it to grass. That way its not so bad when u fall. I JUST learned to rollback out like 2 days ago.

Come on man a curb is like 6 inches tall? If you can't handle a fall from 6 inches I think you're in the wrong sport. I learnt mine flat on tarmac and he'll never learn to roll out if he does it on grass.

Posted: May 16, 2010 at 17:35 Quote
im able to spin it well but once i land, my back tire slams hard against the ground and i lose all momentem and speed and just stop

Posted: May 16, 2010 at 17:37 Quote
DJ-rider49er wrote:
im able to spin it well but once i land, my back tire slams hard against the ground and i lose all momentem and speed and just stop

Try to land both wheels at the same time and throw your weight backwards and backpedal.

Posted: May 16, 2010 at 17:39 Quote
could the direction that my handlebar is facing after i land be causing me to stop?

Posted: May 16, 2010 at 17:44 Quote
DJ-rider49er wrote:
could the direction that my handlebar is facing after i land be causing me to stop?

Well try to keep your wheels in line, kinda common sense..

Posted: May 16, 2010 at 17:47 Quote
Stoked-Commencal wrote:
VTwintips wrote:
Stoked-Commencal wrote:

Come on man a curb is like 6 inches tall? If you can't handle a fall from 6 inches I think you're in the wrong sport. I learnt mine flat on tarmac and he'll never learn to roll out if he does it on grass.
or maybe since i live no where near a curb, when i do one it is a lot different to me. I did my first one on grass. And then on dirt driveway. then on pavement. Now its gonna be curbs. then stairs. I mean jeez. Wrong sport is a little harsh.

Posted: May 16, 2010 at 17:51 Quote
Stoked-Commencal wrote:
DJ-rider49er wrote:

Well try to keep your wheels in line, kinda common sense..

well i mean like if im rotating counter clock wise, i begin the rotation with turning my handle bar to the left, if i land with my handlebar to the left it would make me stop, should i turn it the opposite way as soon as i land?

Posted: May 16, 2010 at 18:19 Quote
I got my 180s like a week ago ( on a bmx ), you wan to turn ur bars and start pulling them up, then hop and look around ur shoulder to get the rotation. When ur in the air try to turn ur bars the oppoisite way, just a little bit so when u land, u will get the fakie going. Also, your problem might be not having enough speed. Try going faster and faster within each try. But don't go with so much speed that ur uncomfterble with. If u land on ur back first, then that means ur not leveling out. Try to tuck ur knees a little, so you land on ur both wheels at the same time. hope i helped!

Posted: May 16, 2010 at 18:26 Quote
kubek12 wrote:
I got my 180s like a week ago ( on a bmx ), you wan to turn ur bars and start pulling them up, then hop and look around ur shoulder to get the rotation. When ur in the air try to turn ur bars the oppoisite way, just a little bit so when u land, u will get the fakie going. Also, your problem might be not having enough speed. Try going faster and faster within each try. But don't go with so much speed that ur uncomfterble with. If u land on ur back first, then that means ur not leveling out. Try to tuck ur knees a little, so you land on ur both wheels at the same time. hope i helped!
when i was learning i wore kneepads jeans and a REALLY thick flannel. I would miss pedals a lot, and sometimes land back wheel to my back. Thinking about it, speed was the key. So just armour up and go balls out. Practice for like an hour on a bmx and i gaurentee you could get it.

Posted: May 16, 2010 at 18:28 Quote
sweet thx guys, this helped alot

Posted: May 16, 2010 at 18:30 Quote
VTwintips wrote:
kubek12 wrote:
when i was learning i wore kneepads jeans and a REALLY thick flannel. I would miss pedals a lot, and sometimes land back wheel to my back. Thinking about it, speed was the key. So just armour up and go balls out. Practice for like an hour on a bmx and i gaurentee you could get it.

Yup, i busted my crap alot of times, but still was trying them with shorts and a shirt hah. But wear some shin guards atleast. I have metal pedals with pins and they are shin killers..

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009182
Mobile Version of Website