A bike for University

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
A bike for University
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
FL
Posted: May 18, 2010 at 12:54 Quote
All going well I'm going to be going to University in London in October. Currently the only bike I have is a Norco Six which I love for mountain biking but its not really suitable for riding around the city.
I would ideally like something cheap and solid, probably single speed and light for just getting about. Budget around £400 and I would buy second hand too.
I also want something that would not restrict me to just riding on the roads but a pure street bike might be quite hard work travelling around.

Any recommendations? (not fixies)

Posted: May 18, 2010 at 13:13 Quote
cranxwork wrote:
All going well I'm going to be going to University in London in October. Currently the only bike I have is a Norco Six which I love for mountain biking but its not really suitable for riding around the city.
I would ideally like something cheap and solid, probably single speed and light for just getting about. Budget around £400 and I would buy second hand too.
I also want something that would not restrict me to just riding on the roads but a pure street bike might be quite hard work travelling around.

Any recommendations? (not fixies)
something like an on one inbred would be good for you, i'm off to uni this year as wll agonising about what bike to take road dj or xc?! its so difficult to choose. but i'm thinking my rigid single speed xc bike will be best as its nice and fast on the road with slicks on and i can still rip trails on it (albeit with lots of arm pump but you get used to that)

FL
Posted: May 21, 2010 at 11:59 Quote
Thanks for the tips man I will look into it as a single speed rigid xc bike was my initial idea too.

I also have a similar thread running on Southern DH where some guys have said really a road bike is best for getting around although I definitely dont want that riding position.
So I dug up this second hand really bad road bike that my Dad bought second hand way back in the mists of time and I'm going to spend some money on that to hopefully get it running well.

photo

Any ideas of what I can do with it. I might take it to LBS see what they say.

Posted: May 21, 2010 at 12:29 Quote
Do a basic tune up on it first; lube the chain and the cables. Do the basic seat and bar adjustments and ride it like that. From there see what needs to be changed or if its even worth it to you to invest any money in it. There's no sense in spending the cash even to do a full tune up only to find that you don't like the riding position.
As nice as road bikes can be, some people just aren't comfortable on them.

Judging by the seat position, it doesn't look like it properly fit its previous owner.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013241
Mobile Version of Website