Leatt brace + body amour

PB Forum :: Downhill
Leatt brace + body amour
Author Message
Posted: May 23, 2010 at 20:20 Quote
yes I am wearing it

Posted: May 23, 2010 at 20:31 Quote
nice... the only thing i dont like is the lack of shoulder pads.

Posted: May 25, 2010 at 9:03 Quote
What I dont understand is why does everyone wear the leatt over the armor and jersey? Leatt themselves say fit the brace UNDER your armor. Having it over renders it useless, it was designed to rest against your body and spread the impact force to your body, not to other armor which can have a reverse effect (not to mention impair your range of movement and sight). But do what you want. It looks cool like wearing your helmut unstrapped. Anyways the rockgardn flak jacket works very well with the Leatt. No need to customize it. Also if you wear the leatt under your armor it acts like a RAM air induction cooling device.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m53NRq0gkO0

Posted: Feb 15, 2012 at 21:06 Quote
I don't see why you can't wear it over body armour, as long as it doesnt move and fit's correctly if you get the right size and adjust it properly. How will it work better if it is touching your body? It is more likely to bruise or injur your body from impact, armour will protect you from that. The brace will still protect you from over extension, so I would love someone to explain seeing as I just bought a DBX Comp 3. The reason I got the Comp is for the extra adjustability to mount over body armour underneath my shirt

Posted: Feb 15, 2012 at 21:52 Quote
rad1cal wrote:
I don't see why you can't wear it over body armour, as long as it doesnt move and fit's correctly if you get the right size and adjust it properly. How will it work better if it is touching your body? It is more likely to bruise or injur your body from impact, armour will protect you from that. The brace will still protect you from over extension, so I would love someone to explain seeing as I just bought a DBX Comp 3. The reason I got the Comp is for the extra adjustability to mount over body armour underneath my shirt

From the Leatt site:



The Leatt-Brace® should sit on the front member, shoulder wings and thoracic member, as close to the body as possible. Any other arrangement may adversely impact the protection afforded by the Leatt-Brace®. We cannot provide any assurances with respect to use of third party protective gear with the Leatt-Brace®, since the manner in which such third party gear is used or worn, and its condition, may significantly affect the function of the Leatt-Brace®. As for the touching of the helmet on the rear member of the brace, it is quite normal for there to be slight contact when tilting the head backwards.

When wearing a Leatt® Body Jacket, Body Vest or Back Protector, which has been specifically designed to accommodate the Leatt-Brace®, the brace can be word either over or under the device. All Leatt® body protection include Leatt®s unique BraceOn™ systems that keeps the brace securely in place and allows for individual movement of brace, protector and body.



Optimal brace fitment is achieved by selecting the correct combination of adjustment pins, thoracic strut angle and (for certain models) setting the height adjustable front and rear tables to a position that suits your body shape and the size, length and range-of-motion of your neck, as described in our user manual.

There are 3 rules of thumb to check whether your brace fits correctly:

1. The brace should fit snug, but not too tight. When you lift your arms, the brace should comfortably move up with your arms and drop back onto your shoulders when you drop your arms. If the brace stays up, it is too tight and should be adjusted.
2. You should be able to comfortably fit your fingers between your back and the thoracic member of the brace. If you can’t fit your fingers between your brace and your back, it is too tight and should be adjusted. If your whole hand fits, it is too loose and should be adjusted.
3. Finally, when pressing down on the front or rear table of the brace, it should not rock back and forth excessively on your shoulders.  If this occurs, then the brace is too loose and should be adjusted. If no movement occurs, then the brace is too tight and should be adjusted.

Posted: Feb 18, 2012 at 14:21 Quote
I still dont see how if it sits correctly still over body armour, that it would effect how well it works!?!?

smike wrote:
rad1cal wrote:
I don't see why you can't wear it over body armour, as long as it doesnt move and fit's correctly if you get the right size and adjust it properly. How will it work better if it is touching your body? It is more likely to bruise or injur your body from impact, armour will protect you from that. The brace will still protect you from over extension, so I would love someone to explain seeing as I just bought a DBX Comp 3. The reason I got the Comp is for the extra adjustability to mount over body armour underneath my shirt

From the Leatt site:



The Leatt-Brace® should sit on the front member, shoulder wings and thoracic member, as close to the body as possible. Any other arrangement may adversely impact the protection afforded by the Leatt-Brace®. We cannot provide any assurances with respect to use of third party protective gear with the Leatt-Brace®, since the manner in which such third party gear is used or worn, and its condition, may significantly affect the function of the Leatt-Brace®. As for the touching of the helmet on the rear member of the brace, it is quite normal for there to be slight contact when tilting the head backwards.

When wearing a Leatt® Body Jacket, Body Vest or Back Protector, which has been specifically designed to accommodate the Leatt-Brace®, the brace can be word either over or under the device. All Leatt® body protection include Leatt®s unique BraceOn™ systems that keeps the brace securely in place and allows for individual movement of brace, protector and body.



Optimal brace fitment is achieved by selecting the correct combination of adjustment pins, thoracic strut angle and (for certain models) setting the height adjustable front and rear tables to a position that suits your body shape and the size, length and range-of-motion of your neck, as described in our user manual.

There are 3 rules of thumb to check whether your brace fits correctly:

1. The brace should fit snug, but not too tight. When you lift your arms, the brace should comfortably move up with your arms and drop back onto your shoulders when you drop your arms. If the brace stays up, it is too tight and should be adjusted.
2. You should be able to comfortably fit your fingers between your back and the thoracic member of the brace. If you can’t fit your fingers between your brace and your back, it is too tight and should be adjusted. If your whole hand fits, it is too loose and should be adjusted.
3. Finally, when pressing down on the front or rear table of the brace, it should not rock back and forth excessively on your shoulders.  If this occurs, then the brace is too loose and should be adjusted. If no movement occurs, then the brace is too tight and should be adjusted.

Posted: Feb 18, 2012 at 15:39 Quote
Boardlife69 wrote:
What I dont understand is why does everyone wear the leatt over the armor and jersey? Leatt themselves say fit the brace UNDER your armor. Having it over renders it useless, it was designed to rest against your body and spread the impact force to your body, not to other armor which can have a reverse effect (not to mention impair your range of movement and sight). But do what you want. It looks cool like wearing your helmut unstrapped. Anyways the rockgardn flak jacket works very well with the Leatt. No need to customize it. Also if you wear the leatt under your armor it acts like a RAM air induction cooling device.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m53NRq0gkO0

Can you explain the "reverse effect" of the body armor? When you crash will the armor push back on the brace and snap your neck instead of absorbing the impact?

Posted: Feb 18, 2012 at 18:24 Quote
rad1cal wrote:
I still dont see how if it sits correctly still over body armour, that it would effect how well it works!?!?

Best explanation is to try it. It's not shaped right to sit on top of armour. It sits way too high. And if the back plates of the armour are rounded (like the older 661 ones were), then it also shifts left and right, as well as being too high. While theoretically someone *could* design a neck brace to fit over armour, the Leatt is not one of them. And *if* there was a brace that fit over armour, it would probably not fit *without* armour. The key is proper fit. No matter how big you make the Leatt, it is not shaped to fit well over armour. There may be some exceptions depending on the armour (as i've heard that the POC vest is ok with the Leatt, but I have not tried it myself), but it's probably safer for them to just advise you not to do it. Personally it's not something I would try myself, as it is a pretty critical piece of protection. Nothing's stopping you from doing it yourself... you probably just won't get people on this board telling you to try it though.

Posted: Mar 26, 2012 at 20:06 Quote
Thought I would bump this thread. Any new insights on body armor/pressure suits that work well with the Leatt neck braces?

Posted: Mar 28, 2012 at 12:36 Quote
TLD Rincon works pretty well

Posted: Mar 28, 2012 at 18:32 Quote
Jamie Goldman has a leatt suit that sets his neckbrace perfectly, im not sure if its out to public or not but he loves it.

Posted: Apr 16, 2012 at 16:49 Quote
I have a dainese chest and shoulder suit with the seperate back protector, it sits in front of the back protector and over the chest plate. All on top of my shirt. I just adjusted it to fit, then made adjustments to the strap so it sat down, job done

Posted: Apr 16, 2012 at 17:59 Quote
I wear a leatt club II neck brace with a thor sentinel and its perfect!

Posted: Apr 16, 2012 at 18:56 Quote
I use a tld chest plate with mine, let me find it. it works great with my leatt.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010986
Mobile Version of Website