any big strong steel frames xxxl out there?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
any big strong steel frames xxxl out there?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 25, 2007 at 23:48 Quote
I love my eastern dj-4 (22.5"TT), I just wish it was bigger. Any recommendations about big strong steel frames? My ideal geometry would be comparable to that of a 19" or 21" MTB. I'd be willing to sacrifice on standover height, in exchange for a long front end. Horizontal dropouts are preferred, but I can work with verticals. Steel is a must. I ride street exclusively.

thanks,
George

Posted: Nov 26, 2007 at 0:16 Quote
Get a doberman custom.

Posted: Nov 26, 2007 at 2:08 Quote
check out www.royalcycles.com the owner builds custom frames to your specks

Posted: Nov 30, 2007 at 7:54 Quote
maybe a custom frame is the way i need to go, but looking at the way that there are a lot of burly aluminum frames out there as XC rigs, are there steel versions worth looking at?

Posted: Nov 30, 2007 at 8:02 Quote
Get in touch with us here at Dobermann.

As we speak i'm welding up a pinscher with a 23.5 top tube. The thing is huge and looks great! Still has the 12.5'' seat tube too! I could easily build one up for you at a resonable price.

http://www.dobermannbikes.com

Posted: Nov 30, 2007 at 8:08 Quote
How tall are you? I`m 6'2" and looking for a bike that will fit me and won`t cost a bunch either.

Posted: Nov 30, 2007 at 9:03 Quote
Bryan67 wrote:
How tall are you? I`m 6'2" and looking for a bike that will fit me and won`t cost a bunch either.

I'm 5'8''! The frame I'm building is for a 6'6'' dude, I think.
My boss is 6'4'' and is quite comfy on his standard large frame (22.5 tt)

For you, a large should do. Unless you're really uncomfortable or have a freakishly long torso!

A standard Pinscher would set you back around 550$ depending on the options.

Posted: Nov 30, 2007 at 9:05 Quote
whoops... I thought you were quoting me... sorry!

Posted: Nov 30, 2007 at 9:47 Quote
Im 6'2" as well and ride and assortment of bikes. All measureing Large/58cm/19"/19.5 etc. My brother in law is 6'6" and rides my 19" 29er with a longer stem and 180mm cranks quite comfortably. He also rides his own Raleigh XC mtb size XL. And if he was to purchse his own 29er that too would be an XL.

At 6'2" I would think you could fit on a Large. (Unless of course, you're tying your shoes without bending at the waist. If this is the case, start playing basketball. You'll go farther.) Try some bikes as size range differs from one brand to the other. Also educate yourself on bike fitting. You can start with the basics here...
http://www.ehow.com/how_14104_determine-correct-frame.html

And the more advanced here...
http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-sizing.html

Posted: Nov 30, 2007 at 11:57 Quote
Well, its pretty much down to a 22" Riot or a 22.5 MOB or Working Class Hero. I just sold my 20" BMX bike with a custom 22" tt so long front and short rear is what I like. I just need to decide if the 1/2" difference is worth the extra money. A 1/2" can make big difference though.

Posted: Nov 30, 2007 at 12:02 Quote
The working class hero is sick and super rare. We only made 10 for union street. That was a fun contract!

I'd go for the extra half inch if you care for your knees!

Posted: Dec 4, 2007 at 11:50 Quote
im 6'3 and i ride a Large banshee scratch, it works good. i love the frame

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016862
Mobile Version of Website