Rigid fork help for dj.

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Rigid fork help for dj.
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 24, 2010 at 7:49 Quote
Right i have a gt chucker xs2 the frame itself is really light. But the forks are heavy as! so im looking to go rigid. what forks would you recommend? I may go 24" wheels if it's a better option with rigids.

Any advice would be great thanks.
Pics of my bike are on my profile.
Sam
x
Pimp

Posted: May 24, 2010 at 8:02 Quote
I have Identiti rebates and tI find them to be great, although I have heard that the Dobermann Tchokr is even better, but it is more expensive.

Posted: May 24, 2010 at 8:09 Quote
I was looking at the identiti rebates but im not short for money tbh because i will have to change to a V brake system i will be selling my hope moto v2 off the front so im looking around 150 to spend. (GBP)

Sam
x

Posted: May 24, 2010 at 12:01 Quote
if its an aluminum frame then you should stay away from rigid forks. if you do however get one, get chromo bars too.

Posted: May 24, 2010 at 13:42 Quote
humm im guessing aluminium + rigid forks = Thumbs Down , how come is it just a weaker frame?
Sam
x

Posted: May 24, 2010 at 13:43 Quote
chromo is just stronger, whereas aluminum is kinda brittle and weaker.

Posted: May 24, 2010 at 13:48 Quote
ah so maybe a new frame? i was looking at the jawbone frame? but again i dont know if its aluminium, i tihnk it may be chromo, i gues i'll be looking into that.
Sam
x

Posted: May 24, 2010 at 13:51 Quote
ns traffic is chromo

Posted: May 24, 2010 at 13:52 Quote
Im running rigid on alu frame and the dropouts snapped first. Blank Stare

Posted: May 24, 2010 at 13:55 Quote
hmm, What to do... new chromo frame and rig forks? or just stick to rig forks?
Sam
x

Posted: May 24, 2010 at 14:27 Quote
LOL WTF chunkiemonkie alu is not weaker than cromo anyone with just a litle bit of brain would know that, the difference is that cromo is able to flex more and absorb some of the shocks the bike gets whe it's running rigid, where as alu is very stiff and cant flex and therefore it will snap Razz

Posted: May 24, 2010 at 14:42 Quote
Forks Or Frame?
Sam
x

Posted: May 24, 2010 at 14:51 Quote
im saying that when you're running rigid forks, alu wont be as strong as chromo

Posted: May 24, 2010 at 15:23 Quote
you know what, instead of spending $500 on a new frame, fork, and bars, just get a suspension fork. unless of course you really want to go rigid, it would just be easier to get an argyle or something.

Posted: May 24, 2010 at 23:17 Quote
I reckon you should just get the rigid fork, get a new frame if the Al one breaks, at least then you have bragging rights as well and a good reason to get a new frame.

Otherwise just go for a more XCish fork if you're purely after weight savings, like a Reba or something, because if you get a Cro Mo rigid fork then you get a cro mo bar & stem, the weight savings might not be that great after all (most CroMo bars I've seen on the net seem to be really heavy buggers).

Otherwise just dare to be different, not many people seem to be riding rigids on DJ bikes for some reason...perhaps a good reason?

EDIT: Either way I'm about to turn my STP into a single speed and rigid. I don't ride a huge amount and when I do I'm pretty chicken, I'd be amazed if I broke anything let alone a frame. Plan to use my current stem and bar with it too, I can't really see the point of getting a Cro Mo bar and yet still having an aluminium stem.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011437
Mobile Version of Website