and im looking for a workout
program so i can get ready
for the summer and be able
to take on the challenges of
mountain biking. to my bad luck
I dont live near any trails
so i cant really practice on
a trail. Thank you.

work your core lots, your chest, triceps and lower back are just as important as training your legs.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/mtb-strength-training-core-training-1-2010.html
and
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/mtb-strength-training-exercises-for-cornering-2010.html

are a few little things that have been posted on pink bike and really help a lot when developing and training the muscle groups that bikers use every day.

The rest of the work outs that you should be working on are pushing groups (chest, Triceps and shoulders) Pulling groups (Biceps, back and Traps) and Legs (quads, hammies and calves) each of these groups should be trained one day a week for 45mins to an hour followed by a good glass of milk or a protein shake to help muscle recovery.

in the other 4 days you should do a strong Cardio work out 45mins to an hour and 20 mins a day on days that you work your muscle groups.

My typical week looks like
Sunday Pushing
Monday Cardio & core
Tuesday Legs
Wednesday Cardio & core
Thursday Pulling
Friday Cardio & core
Saturday Rest

Posted: Jun 14, 2010 at 0:01 Quote
yoshter576 wrote:
Hello im new to mountain biking
a trail. Thank you.

this is what i do

Monday:
Seated Dumbbell press: 4(s) x 10(r)
Dumbbell side lateral raises: 4(s) x 10(r)
Bent-over dumbbell laterals: 4(s) x 10(r)
Lat Pull down: 4(s) x 10(r)
Seated Cable Rows: 4(s) x 10(r)
One arm Dumbbell rows: 3(s) x 10(r)
Leg raises: 4(s) x 10(r)
Hanging leg raises: 4(s) x 10(r)

Stretching Program (below)

Tuesday:
Cardio: Spinbike.
A)2 minutes steady pace.
B)1 minute sprint.
C)1 minute steady pace.
REPEAT B&C (15min)
30 minute Steady pace.
5 minute cool down.

Wednesday:
Leg extention: 4(s) x 10(r)
Barbell squat: 4(s) x 10(r)
45 degree leg press: 3(s) x 10(r)
Lying leg curls: 4(s) x 10(r)
Seated leg curls: 3(s) x 10(r)
Standing Calf raise: 4(s) x 10(r)
Seated Calf raise: 3(s) x 10(r)
Flat bench dumbbell flys: 4(s) x 10(r)
Incline barbell bench press:4(s) x 10(r)

Stretch Routine (below)

Thursday:
A)2 minutes steady pace.
B)1 minute sprint.
C)1 minute steady pace.
REPEAT B&C (15min)
30 minute Steady pace.
5 minute cool down.

Friday:
Leg raises: 4(s) x 10(r)
Hanging leg raises: 4(s) x 10(r)
Tricep bench dip: 4(s) x 8(r)
Tricep press down: 4(s) x 10(r)
Dumbbell kickback: 3(s) x 10(r)
Standing dumbbell curl: 4(s) x 10(r)
Standing barbell curl: 4(s) x 10(r)
Reverse barbell curl: 4(s) x 10(r)

Stretch routine (below)

Saturday:
A)2 minutes steady pace.
B)1 minute sprint.
C)1 minute steady pace.
REPEAT B&C (15min)
30 minute Steady pace.
5 minute cool down.

Sunday:

Rest day.

Stretch routine:
UPPER BODY:
• STANDING TRUNK TWISTS-HIGH/MID/DIAGONAL/FIGURE 8
• DOUBLE SHOULDER STRETCH/CHEST STRETCH
• SINGLE SHOULDER/BACK STRETCH
• UP BACK SHOULDER STRETCH

LOWER BODY:

• SEATED CALF STRETCH
• SINGLE CALF STRETCH
• LYING CALF STRETCH
• LYING SOLEUS STRETCH
• LYING HAMSTRING STRETCH
• DOUBLE LEG HAMSTRING STRETCH
• HIP FLEXOR STRETCH
• INTENSE (BENT LEG) HAMSTRING STRETCH
• LYING GROIN/ADDUCTORS STRETCH
• LYING SINGLE LEG SPLIT STRETCH
• LYING DOUBLE LEG SPLIT STRETCH
• SEATED HAMSTRINGS STRETCH WITH SIDE STRETCH
• SEATED SEMI-SPLIT STRETCH
• LYING QUADS STRETCH

If you don't have a gym membership you should get one, it makes it so much easier. also this could be cut down for beginner - intermediate lifters but it has helped me improve my riding and with that I can't really complain.

Look also at deadlifts, squats and other explosive workouts these will give you more power with each pedal stroke.

Posted: Jun 14, 2010 at 0:10 Quote
your 'sprint' sessions are waaay too long

Posted: Jun 14, 2010 at 0:11 Quote
stryke wrote:
your 'sprint' sessions are waaay too long for a dedicated downhill program

endurance is key in dh, if you can out sprint and keep it up for the track you will be a faster rider. HIIT training like I posted is probably one of the best ways to boost cardiovascular endurance.

Posted: Jun 14, 2010 at 0:17 Quote
endurance is not a huge deal in downhill.. maybe if youre racing mega/maxiavalanche style races long sprint sessions should be a good thing to start working on but not for general downhill riding

my sprint training is 2 days a week for 20 minutes on a slight incline, 15 seconds on 30 seconds off.

the only time you need explosive muscles is coming out of corners and sprinting to the finish line (which is like 15-20 seconds, and usually pretty fast so you should be training in a light gear and learning how to pedal well while spinning) so 1 minute sprint training sessions are silly and too long

Posted: Jun 14, 2010 at 0:24 Quote
stryke wrote:
endurance is not a huge deal in downhill.. maybe if youre racing mega/maxiavalanche style races long sprint sessions should be a good thing to start working on but not for general downhill riding

my sprint training is 2 days a week for 20 minutes on a slight incline, 15 seconds on 30 seconds off.

the only time you need explosive muscles is coming out of corners and sprinting to the finish line (which is like 15-20 seconds, and usually pretty fast so you should be training in a light gear and learning how to pedal well while spinning) so 1 minute sprint training sessions are silly and too long

I would rather my endurance be above and beyond what is needed for a course and have the ability to push that much harder than everyone else.

I have ridden Mt.7 That course makes you feel as if you ate glass even from the 5k point. I have ridden the Whistler DH track and the one in Panorama and you need plenty of cardiovascular endurance. If I am able to pedal harder and faster and for a longer time on the sprints I can make up for lost time elsewhere. Keep in mind, I am not only training for DH, I road ride and used to BMX race.

Posted: Jun 14, 2010 at 17:38 Quote
Thanks for the routine I will be working on this starting next week once im out of school! I have to a gree with you Gnarkore be the best you can be and pedal faster even if you dont need to.

Posted: Jul 2, 2010 at 8:36 Quote
yoshter576 wrote:
a trail. Thank you.

If you want a good mix of power and endurance workouts, check Bicycling Magazine out. Every issue has a different workout, and no one mixes power, endurance, and overall fitness like the road-goers.

And I feel your pain on the to-trail commuting, I live over an hour's drive from anything worth toting the trail bike to...so I bought a road bike so I can still ride on the days that I dont get off work early or only have a couple spare hours to sneak in a rip. I also find that mixing some road in with some trail makes me faster on both.

Food for thought.

Posted: Jul 8, 2010 at 9:30 Quote
Your new to mountain biking yet you want to train like a world class rider? Just go out and have fun for now Confused .

Posted: Sep 25, 2010 at 11:45 Quote
bigbigbike wrote:
yoshter576 wrote:
a trail. Thank you.

work your core lots, your chest, triceps and lower back are just as important as training your legs.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/mtb-strength-training-core-training-1-2010.html
and
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/mtb-strength-training-exercises-for-cornering-2010.html

are a few little things that have been posted on pink bike and really help a lot when developing and training the muscle groups that bikers use every day.

The rest of the work outs that you should be working on are pushing groups (chest, Triceps and shoulders) Pulling groups (Biceps, back and Traps) and Legs (quads, hammies and calves) each of these groups should be trained one day a week for 45mins to an hour followed by a good glass of milk or a protein shake to help muscle recovery.

in the other 4 days you should do a strong Cardio work out 45mins to an hour and 20 mins a day on days that you work your muscle groups.

My typical week looks like
Sunday Pushing
Monday Cardio & core
Tuesday Legs
Wednesday Cardio & core
Thursday Pulling
Friday Cardio & core
Saturday Rest
i like bigbigbike training program. id have to say cardio such as running is great for getting into shape yes its horrible, but the longer you can climb the longer you can go downhill, you also wont get fatigued as fast this meens that youll be able to enjoy the downhill and not be completly exausted.

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2010 at 18:07 Quote
At the beginning of sept i injured my shoulder and have been out for the rest of the biking season. So over the winter i want to do lots of training and build of muscle so when i hit up whistler next year i won't get injured as easily (in theory stronger muscles won't injure as easily). What are some mtb specific exercises i can do?

Posted: Dec 8, 2010 at 4:20 Quote
http://www.bikejames.com/

Check out the above site, James has some pretty good programs for cheap $$, but offers lots of free training advise and workouts.

The best part they are all cycling related (dh, xc, etc).

I am using his basic / short package (as time is an issue with me).

Good luck

Posted: Dec 19, 2010 at 7:55 Quote
I don't have excess to a gym, is there any work outs I can do with out having to go to a gym. I'm training for cross country racing. What should my riding work out be through out the week. I don't have a road bike so all my training is done on my ss mountain bike. I have trouble deciding what day i should spin vs sprinting or hill climbing.

Posted: Dec 19, 2010 at 16:41 Quote
mtnbiker23 wrote:
I don't have excess to a gym, is there any work outs I can do with out having to go to a gym. I'm training for cross country racing. What should my riding work out be through out the week. I don't have a road bike so all my training is done on my ss mountain bike. I have trouble deciding what day i should spin vs sprinting or hill climbing.

do you have any dumbbells or any weights?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.024044
Mobile Version of Website